Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confirmed: KLM introduces Economy Comfort short-haul

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I just tried MMB instead, which turned out to be even sillier. It showed the same three flights as unavailable, but for the fourth I got that fancy new-fangled seat map. This showed all the rows from 1 through 17, without any indication whatsoever which seats were available. The only option was to click on each and every seat, one at a time, with the result that I had all of five seats to choose between, in one single row; 11.

I'm seriously impressed!

By the way, neither the app or MMB maps distinguished between Y and EC seats, and the latter did not show any EB seats either.

Johan
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
I checked my SH flight with KL scheduled before X-mas. The app seat allocation did not work, but the ASR worked on the website. On the E90 I could choose any seat from row 10, the last before exit row(which do not recline), any seat from the exit row; and all but few blocked rows from the back. All available seats were labeled either standard economy and the exit rows as seats with extra legroom. Interestingly the exit row seat description claimed "Legroom No seat in front of you." But the map showed ten rows in front
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:59 am

I have booked a shorthaul trip today, outbound in November and return in December. I could select my seat for the December flight, but not for the November flight. I could select most of the Economy seats in the 737-800. Row 6-9 were shown as Economy Comfort seat for EUR15 or 5000 miles, row 12 and 14 were shown as Seat with extra legroom with the same prices. The rest was shown as Economy Class seat.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Worked a charm just now, on the website, for each of the 6 bookings I currently have for travel from December onwards. ^
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good news!

KL's B737s now come with seat-back monitors!

I've also noticed that, as a Plat, they only allow me to select from the "paid-but-free-for-Platinums" seats.

Perhaps most Plats would indeed choose the seats that otherwise wouldn't be free...but it's a little bit unusual that it never reports any available "normal economy" seats...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:06 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Good news!

KL's B737s now come with seat-back monitors!
And double recline as well! I thought that was only on the long-haul fleet.

I've also noticed that, as a Plat, they only allow me to select from the "paid-but-free-for-Platinums" seats.

Perhaps most Plats would indeed choose the seats that otherwise wouldn't be free...but it's a little bit unusual that it never reports any available "normal economy" seats...
I noticed that too
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I certainly hope Ivories, Silvers and Golds (which I will be again soon!) are allowed to pick from the truly free seats...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm . . . that explains why I am restricted to a single row, the EER. KL have apparently decided that there is no such thing as an Economy Comfort zone on the one flight they will actually let me pick a seat on. As it happens, I do not want to sit in the EER, I would like a seat as far forward as possible.

If this is how it is going to work, then ASR is completely useless for me. In fact it is worse than useless if non-status pax will be allowed to select seats in advance to which I have no access, thus restricting my choice come OLCI.

By only offering me an EER seat, they are also forteiting the chance of selling that seat to another pax who is willing to pay for the extra legroom. Not that there are likely to be many takers, but it is still an opportunity cost.

So in a nutshell the are limiting my choice to a few seats I do not want, potentially depriving themselves of additional income in the process. They must be nuts.

Johan
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:17 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Johan

Can it be that you have to first select your zone and then a seat within that? I recall that the new MMB seatmaps allowed me to select a seat outside Y+ by doing so (I didn't confirm, obviously). Just clicking on a seat in a different zone doesn't work indeed.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MichielR
Johan

Can it be that you have to first select your zone and then a seat within that? I recall that the new MMB seatmaps allowed me to select a seat outside Y+ by doing so (I didn't confirm, obviously). Just clicking on a seat in a different zone doesn't work indeed.
That doesn't work - at least not on the website (not tried the app).

The yellow "stoel met extra beenruimte" and the orange "Stoel in Economy Comfort-zone" seat icons are indeed clickable, and this will cause the seatmap image to scroll to the corresponding sections (it doesn't make them selectable, per se, or toggle their selectability - it just brings them to the centre of the screen). The blue "Economy Class-stoel" seat icon is, however, not clickable. There is no way to make the normal economy class seats selectable - for each of these seats it returns "Deze stoel is niet beschikbaar" and nothing can be done via this interface to make them selectable.

Can any non-platinums post their experiences with the new advance seat selection? Are you forced only to choose from paid-for seats, or not at all?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:50 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
That doesn't work - at least not on the website (not tried the app).

The yellow "stoel met extra beenruimte" and the orange "Stoel in Economy Comfort-zone" seat icons are clickable, and will cause the seatmap image to scroll to the corresponding sections. The blue "Economy Class-stoel" seat icon is, however, not clickable. There is no way to make the normal economy class seats selectable - for each of these seats it returns "Deze stoel is niet beschikbaar" and nothing can be done via this interface to make them selectable.

Can any non-platinums post their experiences with the new advance seat selection? Are you forced only to choose from paid-for seats, or not at all?
I just tried a dummy-booking without entering my FB number. It then gives you choice out all seats. Selecting an EC/EES it states an amount is payable (in this case: € 20 per one-way).

Gajan
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Hmm . . . that explains why I am restricted to a single row, the EER. KL have apparently decided that there is no such thing as an Economy Comfort zone on the one flight they will actually let me pick a seat on.
It would seem that the Embraers don't have "Economy Comfort" - only these extra-legroom seats

But never mind - they have apparently fitted the Embraers with seat-back monitors, too!!!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gajan
I just tried a dummy-booking without entering my FB number. It then gives you choice out all seats. Selecting an EC/EES it states an amount is payable (in this case: € 20 per one-way).

Gajan
So, to have full seat selection, we should now book our travel WITHOUT logging into our Flying Blue accounts. Then select our free seat. Then add the Flying Blue number (and hope that that action doesn't automatically remove the seat selection).

^

Actually, it could quite quickly and easily happen that the only 4 seats available to choose from are already selected by the time you make your booking and go to make your seat choice. I wonder what happens then? "There are no seats available for you to select. Please select a seat at check-in" perhaps?

Last edited by irishguy28; Oct 19, 2012 at 3:00 am
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:41 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Confirmed: KLM introduces Economy Comfort short-haul

I can select all seats, and have opted for the first row after EC. Would I have (even more ) discomfort due to the double recline?

Also, this forcing of plats in paid-but-free seat, isn't that very annoying for plats travelling with non/lower-status companions? Unless they make it free for companions too?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:09 am

Programs: KLM Elite for life; LH Senator for life
Also, this forcing of plats in paid-but-free seat, isn't that very annoying for plats travelling with non/lower-status companions? Unless they make it free for companions too?[/QUOTE]

I have booked a flight in Februari 2013 for 2 pax.
The forcing of plat in Paid-but-Free seats must have been temporarely as I could make asr in ec.
I reserved now 1 aisle seat in ecc 9D (free as plat) and 1 seat in ec 10D (no status).
Will see finally at OLCI how to address the situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.