Confirmed: KLM introduces Economy Comfort short-haul

Old Sep 3, 2013, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I know this is not really the proper thread, and I also know that one swallow does not a summer make, but since I've mentioned that I would switch my commute to SK here several times, I thought I would post some brief first impressions.

- OLCI. SK's android app is nothing fancy, but it seems to do the job. It actually shows a seat map without making you jump through hoops several times, and there is none of this EC nonsense.

- Fast Track. SK has its own dedicated CPH security checkpoint, but it may only be used by premium pax and Eurobonus Gold. Regular security also has Fast Track lanes for participating airlines, but that doesn't work if you are flying SK. Star Alliance Gold will therefore not get you into any Fast Track lane if you are flying SK. So much for reciprocity and seamless alliance benefits.

- Lounge. It won't come as a surprise that the Novia lounge can't hold a candle to SK's. The latter even has a whole floor reserved for *G passengers. As far as amenities go, the differences appear to be minimal, but the *G floor is much quieter. The catering selection is not much different from what the Crown Lounges offer, but quality is substantially higher (I admit to not having tasted everything. Breakfast was replaced by lunch whilst I was there, and there are limits to how much I can eat.

- Boarding. No priority boarding, but the whole process was very smooth and quick. The incoming aircraft was late, but they managed to turn it around in 24 minutes: 4 minutes for disembarkation via the integral stairs and apron; 2 minutes for cleaning (really, I timed it, and they managed to fill two big bags with trash in that time); 6 minutes for the crew change; and 12 minutes to board 80+ pax. I should like to see KL do that.

-In flight. Apart from a few pax in SAS Plus (SK's reinvention of KL's Europe Select wheel), I was the only one with a vacant adjacent seat. Pure luck, I presume. After the lounge visit there was no way I was going to buy anything from the menu, but the selection looked OK. Sure beats KL's E-number snacks. Coffee and tea were free, but I don't drink that stuff. Despite a slightly late departure, we arrived 13 minutes early.

All in all, the experience was not disappointing.

Johan
The SK lounge at CPH is one of the best I've been to. It is best in class with no ironic DL SM stars.

Can't speak for SK onboard yet...I flew Cimber's RJ while they were still in business but that ride sucked as bad as every other CR2 ride.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Somehow managed to OLCI on the computer. Couldn't change the seats from those that I've selected a month ago.

First couldn't send the email version of BP to my phone, but SMS one worked.

Is it possible to somehow add BP into PassBook on an iPhone?

Good things was that, while checking for tomorrow's MAN-AMS flight, it let me check in for the return on Sunday (same PNR).
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jms_uk
but SMS one worked
That's impressive! On the occasions that I've tried, I've never received a text message. Not once.

Johan
Old Oct 20, 2013, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haven't flown KL for a while, but just checked the one upcoming flight I have scheduled with them this year. Guess what? I'm still stuck in row 6, without any option to pick a seat in any other EC row. They still love their LTPEs, apparently.

Johan
Old Oct 22, 2013, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least all three EC rows were available at OLCI, but 10 out of 18 seats were already taken. This is on a flight that is showing Y9 all the way down to Q9, so there must be a heck of a lot of PEs amongst the pax. Will make sure to keep my eyes peeled for them, especially those who undoubtedly will be crammed into as yet vacant the middle seats.

Johan
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flew KL for the first time in a while today, and was not surprised to see that the airline is like a leopard: just can't change its spots.

Three standby pax were given boarding cards for EB at the gate. No prize for guessing that they were non-revs. I suppose the idea was to remind the fare paying J pax that they were crazy to pay for a product that KL happily gives away for free to the right people.

Looking on the bright side, the EC middle seats actually remained unoccupied. I was stunned. Shocked. Flabbergasted. Dazed. Still reeling.

Johan
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:31 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Three standby pax were given boarding cards for EB at the gate. No prize for guessing that they were non-revs. I suppose the idea was to remind the fare paying J pax that they were crazy to pay for a product that KL happily gives away for free to the right people.

Johan
I assume as they were given boarding passes at the gate these non-revs were eligible to fly in Business Class?

Assuming that it was in accordance with standard IPB procedure I do not see what the problem is.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gajan
I assume as they were given boarding passes at the gate these non-revs were eligible to fly in Business Class?
With only four regular pax in EB, and thus eight free seats, I cannot see why any non-revs entitled to J would have been placed on the standby list.

Johan
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:16 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
All short-haul aircraft have been refitted

Highlights from the TA newsletter:

• EC is now available on all short-haul aircrafts;
  • On F70 aircraft EC is rows 3 through 6. Extra space has been realized by introducing the slimline seats;
  • On E190 EC is rows 3 through 7 and has been created by re-spacing of the aircraft.

The seatmaps have been updated.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
A bit disenchanted with KL at the moment, 99 segments credited this year and I really don't feel that valued as a customer. However on picking my seats for next Wednesday's AMS-MME Fokker 70 flight I was offered an EC seat.

Quite what difference this will make on the 55 minutes to Teesside I don't know but I guess it will make it slightly easier for elites to to be nearer the front of the plane (not of course that this is an advantage when landing at AMS as you are just nearer the back of the bus).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.