Confirmed: KLM introduces Economy Comfort short-haul

Old Dec 13, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL GM, SK EBG
What annoys me the most is the complete randomness of the seat assignments.
Apparently there is no fare class for economy comfort, so the EC seats go first to whoever is prepared to fork over the extra 10 or 20€ or for free to the lucky few with Plat status. The rest of us lowly regular customers are deported to the back of the plane, while the people checking in last will get the remaining EC seats for free because no regular economy seating is available.
I am through AMS around 120 times each year, and after the EC seating implementation, basically all regular travelers that I recognize on the same flights every week who would previously be seated in the front part of the economy section are now scattered around in the back of the plane, while infrequent travelers now occupy the front seats of that section. So I ask KLM: Is this all about money and your way of telling us to get lost because you do not want our regular business?
What is next to go? The lounge access? Priority boarding? The extra baggage allowance?

Now, to end this on a positive note with a suggestion:
Instead of taking away privileges that are appreciated, why not provide the option of exchanging one privilege for another.
Most of the time when I travel, I bring only a laptop or a small overnight bag as carry on and don't use the two pieces checked-in baggage allowance, as my priority is to get out of the plane and onwards to my transport connection/destination.
If one bag of two bags allowance could be exchanged with access to EC zone, this could go a long way towards solving the problem, for example the choice could be offered at web check- in: 2nd bag free or EC zone access.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: FB Plat
or.... why not give GOLD (and maybe even SILVER) free seating in EC? (again.... please note that you hear this from a PLAT).

It would be interesting to see how a short haul european flight is split in economy in average with:
1. non members
2. ivory
3. silver
4. gold
5. plat
6. plat for life

is it really so that if you add up 3+4+5+6 you fill up EC? I don't believe that! They just screwed up! It really seems they studyed the way to make loyal customers.... pissed off!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by EUCommuter
What annoys me the most is the complete randomness of the seat assignments.
It is not random, it is actually very easy to understand the logic:

- SILVER and GOLD are relegated to the back of the plane
- unfrequent travellers and late check in travellers are given EC for free

It's simple and easy, not random at all.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:51 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Diamond
I am in Schiphol now, just out of my SVG-AMS and waiting for my AMS-CDG. Plane was a 738, as usual exit rows were empty but for two Pax. EC had same density as the rest of the plane, i.e. nearly full. Difficult to know if people paid for it or were upgraded at the gate for free as i boarded late due to chaotic security queues at SVG.
The seats did not look new or special to me. I was in 10C (did not want to spend 119 NOK on EC) and the leg room was very good, certainly the same than in EC.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Could not check in in EC for a flight tomorrow (Platinum here). Will be interesting to see how full the cabin is...
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:56 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Only two rows of EBC for my flight tomorrow, resulting in 30 EC seats. No way they are going to be sold.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fransknorge
The seats did not look new or special to me.
That's because they aren't new, nor are they in any way special.

Johan
Old Dec 22, 2012, 3:41 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Only two rows of EBC for my flight tomorrow, resulting in 30 EC seats. No way they are going to be sold.
What an utter joke...

See my post here

32 EC seats available from AMS to HEL and only 4 available in Y
Old Dec 22, 2012, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Cupart
What an utter joke...

See my post here

32 EC seats available from AMS to HEL and only 4 available in Y
I'm flying to GVA, and according to Flightstats (don't know about the accuracy, I don't have KVS/EF) the flight is zeroed out in all classes. There are now 16/30 EC seats available and only 8 normal Economy seats.
Should be fun to watch how any 'upgrades' may be executed. I am sitting directly behind EC so should have a good view of the cabin (although I sure hope the extra recline of the seat in front of me is compensated).
Old Dec 22, 2012, 9:11 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
although I sure hope the extra recline of the seat in front of me is compensated
I do not think it is compensated at all. However the number of people that do recline on these quick hops is very low. Chances that the person in front of you will are very slim.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 2:06 pm

I'm flying to GVA, and according to Flightstats (don't know about the accuracy, I don't have KVS/EF) the flight is zeroed out in all classes. There are now 16/30 EC seats available and only 8 normal Economy seats.
Should be fun to watch how any 'upgrades' may be executed. I am sitting directly behind EC so should have a good view of the cabin (although I sure hope the extra recline of the seat in front of me is compensated).
All normal economy seats taken and still 14 EC available. Anyone ever experienced only EC seats were available for you?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
All normal economy seats taken and still 14 EC available. Anyone ever experienced only EC seats were available for you?
Please let us know how it ended up.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 1:05 am

As of now 6 EC seats are free. I do not believe there are so many plats onboard nor that +20 people would fork out the E20 fee.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:15 am

Confirmed: KLM introduces Economy Comfort short-haul

Onboard now and no way EC is filled with Plats. A lot of little children and (seemingly) infrequent travellers. Same for the EER.
Pluspoint is that boarding was incredibly fast. Must have begon early. Remarable was that the SP lane was physically blocked by baggagecarts.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:53 am

Shortly after boarding was complete, a man came from the back of the aircraft with a member of the cabin crew to look for space to stow his carry-on. He found space above row 6 (EC), stowed his bag, and took place in 6B, one of two remaining unoccupied EC seats!
None of the cabin crew blinked an eye. Absolutely disgraceful. .
Plus, the legroom was not bad until a bloody ~6 year old decided to FULLY recline his seat, leaving me, with 1,95m, cramped..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.