Confirmed: KLM introduces Economy Comfort short-haul

Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:47 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
OK, sent FB (who else could I send it to as I couldn't find a KLM mail address) a note where I stated that 10 segments bought and paid for prior to the announcement of the EC scam should some how be refunded.

I also told them what I honestly thought of the EC Y stunt and how this in my eyes devalued the FB Gold status (or was this a way to add value to Plat?) and of course other things this has brought with it, so have to wait and see what they come back with...

My guess: Nothing or a few miles as a good gesture OR an upgrade on my next flight to AMS (one way, but no - as usual - food offering) which again equals, erh, nothing

I'll keep all posted if there is any interest ^
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Milkman
I got the same lollipop sunshine answer when I complained on Facebook. Clearly KLM must be thinking Gold members are ignorants and their loyalty is not important.

They might as well provide a donkey outfit for us next time they send out FB Gold cards...
Btw, when using the "wonders" of FB do you send them a message or post on the wall (if that is possible)?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 4:06 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by Cupart
Btw, when using the "wonders" of FB do you send them a message or post on the wall (if that is possible)?
Wall does take the preference as others can join in as well
Old Nov 1, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
I posted on the wall...for the reason Gajan mentions. People should know what is going on...

I'm thinking of sending my FB Gold card back to KLM att: FB director as a protest happening.

Last edited by Milkman; Nov 1, 2012 at 4:17 am Reason: add suggestion
Old Nov 1, 2012, 4:31 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Confirmed: KLM introduces Economy Comfort short-haul

Almost a week since I sent a complaint regarding my already booked, thus affected, flights. No response yet.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 5:29 am
Accor Contributor Badge

I posted on the wall...for the reason Gajan mentions. People should know what is going on...
Surely your Facebook comments were removed within 30 seconds (or were they)?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Surely your Facebook comments were removed within 30 seconds (or were they)?
I got a reply from them but didnt check if my post has been deleted. It was about a week ago and since then the wall has been absolutely flooded by passengers needing info re. Sandy.

The reply I got was posted a few pages back in this very thread.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:22 am
Accor Contributor Badge

The reply I got was posted a few pages back in this very thread.
The message I posted on FaceBook disappeared after 10 seconds, but I did get a reply:

KLM: Hello Looser, thanks for coming to our Facebook page
Economy Comfort on Intercontinental flights proved that passengers enjoy more seating comfort and are willing to pay for that. On European flights faster disembarkation is another perk that passengers value. There's no charge for the seats if you're travelling on a full flexible Economy Class ticket. If you're not holding a fully flexible ticket then your status in the Flying Blue program will determine the discount percentage. Our website there's a PDF available with more information: http://klmf.ly/fSelectSeat. Select "Choose more comfort" in the left navigation bar to have a look.

We are not sure to understand your question about the compensation for pre booked flights, as it wasn't possible to pre-book Economy comfort seats on European flights. The service is available from flights departing on the 1st December, regardless of when the ticket was booked. We hope this clarifies however, if you have any other questions or comments, we’re ready to assist!
So, this means that KLM is firm in the way they want to treat their top tier customers.

That the Facebook team didn't understand my simple question is also a bit worrying, as all I asked was how a change of plans would affect pre booked tickets (i.e. less legroom on B737 in-front of Emergency exits and forward in the cabin)?

Arrrrrgggg... I can't take it any more. Time to switch airline me thinks but KLM won't care
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:28 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
They actually deleted it? Very very shady.

Perhaps I should poke the nest again as well and post something on their wall. Its getting quite ridiculous, their reply even shows that these people have never actually flown KLM...

@Cupart: If you are serious about switching: Turkish currently status matches Flying Blue Gold to STAR Gold. Two years of status for free, 37K miles required over two years to keep status.

Last edited by Xandrios; Nov 5, 2012 at 1:33 am
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:23 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Xandrios
@Cupart: If you are serious about switching: Turkish currently status matches Flying Blue Gold to STAR Gold. Two years of status for free, 37K miles required over two years to keep status.
^ I'll PM you as this is going off topic
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by rwSEA
My question is this: Why not at least allow elites (or Elite+ if preferred) the ability to select these seats for free at check-in on intra-European services? It provides a tangible benefit and is consistent with DL's policies, which allows golds free access on domestic flights within the US.
To be consistent with DL, Golds should be able to select EC free at all times. Delta Silvers get EC for free when still available at OLCI.

TBH I don't see this happening. What I do encourage KLM to do, is to give Gold AND Silver the option to select EC for free at OLCI to prevent random non-status pax from being bumped into EC without charge.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:11 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Xandrios
For me they did. I filed a complaint and they paid 30 euro per roundtrip for the itins that I had already booked. Make sure you complain using the website, if you speak Dutch make sure you write the message in Dutch as well. For me they called the next day to arrange something.
I did this on Thursday of last week (Nov 1st), and still haven't heard a word back from them. I did receive the acknowledgement mail and that's it
Old Nov 6, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
To be consistent with DL, Golds should be able to select EC free at all times. Delta Silvers get EC for free when still available at OLCI.

TBH I don't see this happening. What I do encourage KLM to do, is to give Gold AND Silver the option to select EC for free at OLCI to prevent random non-status pax from being bumped into EC without charge.
Agree with you that it would be consistent is we could select free of charge at the time of purchase, but I don't expect FB to go that far. I think the most that we could ask for is free assignment at check-in which is very reasonable and avoids a situation where random pax get upgraded at the expense of KL's best customers.

The more I think about these changes, the more upset I get. Even the US carriers let their mid-tier elites pick the best seats at the time of purchase (and in other cases, give them for free at check-in to silvers/low level elites). KL is really screwing over some of their most loyal customers with this change.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by rwSEA
The more I think about these changes, the more upset I get. Even the US carriers let their mid-tier elites pick the best seats at the time of purchase (and in other cases, give them for free at check-in to silvers/low level elites). KL is really screwing over some of their most loyal customers with this change.
Fully agree. While it does not keep me sleepless at night, it really does bother me quite a bit. How on earth KL can treat some of their most loyal costumers like this is simply beyond me. Getting gold status in most cases requires either relatively extensive travelling or long haul travelling on very expensive fares. Either contributes significantly to the topline, but I guess KL finds that fully OK. I for one will let whatever KL staff I run into know my opinion, and I hope I wont be the only one.

What really upsets me though, is the way they sell it. Improvement? Yeah right!

First of all, only very few intra EU short haul routes can justify a EC zone. You cant compare short haul city hopping with long haul.

They then claim this is what their costumers want - have anyone here been involved in any market research let alone heard of one?

When confronted with it, their facebook crew sing you a romantic song about all the discounts I can get being a gold member, another reason why I'm very ticked off. I used to get to this for free.

This is all about squeezing money out of random flyers while chasing off their loyal costumers, and as I see it, carrying out these politics in real life will create a mess of random upgrades to flyers with no status (or no FB membership at all), while Gold flyers find themselves in 33B or 29E...I say good luck!

Now that transferring in CDG is no longer a complete mess, I shall seriously consider moving all my flying to AF, or start looking for a new alliance altogether.

Thanks a lot KL!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First of all, only very few intra EU short haul routes can justify a EC zone. You cant compare short haul city hopping with long haul.
I couldn't agree more.

One must assume they have done their sums, and as long as they get one single pax per flight to pay they are making some money out of this scheme (albeit possibly at the expense of longterm loyalty), but it beats me why anybody would want to pay for a few inches of hardly noticeable extra pitch on flights of around an hour or so. Demand for the EER row on my regular CPH flights seems to be about zero, so I cannot see EC faring any better.

Johan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.