Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DUB to SIN via AMS

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2012, 8:08 am
Original Poster

DUB to SIN via AMS

Hey guys, my niece is booked on a flight from DUB to SIN on AerLingus 610 from DUB to AMS and then KLM 0835 from AMS to SIN. Bcos she checked in on Aerlingus for the 1st flight online, she was not able to checkin for her 2nd flight at DUB and therefore only has 1 boarding pass. She was told to to pick up at KLM counter - qtn - does she need to exit immigration and re-check in or can she stay on airside and check-in somehow n get her boarding pass. Only 1 hour 10 mins to make the transit.

Thanks for any infor. Waiting at the airport scare out of her wits. Travelling on KLM for the 1st time.

Last edited by Keflyer; May 25, 2012 at 8:45 am
Old May 25, 2012, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No, she stays airside. There are large transit counters airside in AMS, usually at the "start" of a concourse, as one walks from the gates toward the airside commercial area with duty free shops, etc. She might be able to get the boarding pass from a machine there. If not, there's a machine that gives out numbers for service by an agent, with priority for SkyTeam elites.
Old May 25, 2012, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No, she stays airside. There are large transit counters airside in AMS, usually at the "start" of a concourse, as one walks from the gates toward the airside commercial area with duty free shops, etc. She might be able to get the boarding pass from a machine there. If not, there's a machine that gives out numbers for service by an agent, with priority for SkyTeam elites.

Thanks, will ask her to look out for transit counters on the airside. with 1hr n 10mins is kinda tight with a limping leg.

Just in case she missed her flight, are there any hotel within the airport in AMS?
Old May 25, 2012, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Keflyer
Thanks, will ask her to look out for transit counters on the airside. with 1hr n 10mins is kinda tight with a limping leg.

Just in case she missed her flight, are there any hotel within the airport in AMS?
Ooh, it's going to be very tight!

The 610 took off 30 minutes late; the Schiphol website shows it now arriving at 20:27. Even with the flight on time, that would be a tight connection. Let's hope they aren't assigned the Polderbaan (10 minute taxi to terminal). The KL flight to SIN leaves from E24 at 21:00.

Aer Lingus flights nearly always arrive at the very end of the D terminal. As she follows the signs to the "E" gates, she will pass some self-service blue KLM machines (which should be able to give her her boarding pass), if she has to go and find a desk in one of the concourses it may take too long. Or she should perhaps just go straight to the gate, they would be able to print her boarding pass there if she is still able to make the flight.

It's strange that Aer Lingus couldn't print her boarding pass in Dublin. Was the flight already advised as being delayed when she checked in? I'm just wondering if KLM haven't already offloaded her from the Singapore flight.

Yes, there are hotels in the transit part of airport (Mercure and Yotel). However, she should talk to the staff at the KLM desk. If she misses the flight this evening, they will be responsible for putting her up in a hotel, and providing transport (it will not necessarily be one of the hotels within the airport complex) as long as she is travelling on a single KLM ticket.

Last edited by irishguy28; May 25, 2012 at 11:46 am
Old May 25, 2012, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Okay, thank you everyone! It was a mad rush but she made it. Her already sprained ankle is not doing too good from the sprint to the gate after getting the pass. AerLingus is always late is true - same the last time with AerLingus/BA but had more transit time. Good thing there were a few students all trying to get to the KLM flight. KLM must hv waited for them.

Yeah, it was strange tht AerLingus cldnt print her 2nd pass as it was all on 1 PNR. And the flight was not late when she check-in as she was at the airport at least 4 hours b4 flight as she needed to vacate her apt at school.

And thanks for the infor on the hotel at AMS, will keep tht handy just in case need the infor for future. Didnt know KLM will hv to put her in a hotel if she misses her flight. Definitely let her know so she doesnt hv to be so worried the next time.

Phew...

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Ooh, it's going to be very tight!

The 610 took off 30 minutes late; the Schiphol website shows it now arriving at 20:27. Even with the flight on time, that would be a tight connection. Let's hope they aren't assigned the Polderbaan (10 minute taxi to terminal). The KL flight to SIN leaves from E24 at 21:00.

Aer Lingus flights nearly always arrive at the very end of the D terminal. As she follows the signs to the "E" gates, she will pass some self-service blue KLM machines (which should be able to give her her boarding pass), if she has to go and find a desk in one of the concourses it may take too long. Or she should perhaps just go straight to the gate, they would be able to print her boarding pass there if she is still able to make the flight.

It's strange that Aer Lingus couldn't print her boarding pass in Dublin. Was the flight already advised as being delayed when she checked in? I'm just wondering if KLM haven't already offloaded her from the Singapore flight.

Yes, there are hotels in the transit part of airport (Mercure and Yotel). However, she should talk to the staff at the KLM desk. If she misses the flight this evening, they will be responsible for putting her up in a hotel, and providing transport (it will not necessarily be one of the hotels within the airport complex) as long as she is travelling on a single KLM ticket.

Last edited by Keflyer; May 26, 2012 at 9:18 am
Old May 26, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Pleased the OP's niece made the connection.

Technically, I think it is the 'forwarding carrier' (in this case, Aer Lingus) who is responsible for providing hotel accommodation:

Code:
IATA Airline Guide To Involuntary Rerouting
'Forwarding Member'
This means the carrier who created the condition
in which the need for an involuntary change to
the passenger's journey is required.

d) Subject to the conditions of carriage, the
'Forwarding Member' shall be responsible for
passenger expenses as may be incurred
during the period of the passenger's delay at the
place where the involuntary change occurred,
and may absorb such expenses at subsequent
points en route where they are a direct
consequence of such a change, provided that
they are limited to essential expenses such as
hotel accommodation, suitable meals and
beverages without regard to class of service".
(Note that this guide is dated 2002, and is not sourced directly from the IATA website, but I am not aware of the rules having changed significantly).

However, in practical terms you would presumably still approach the KLM transfer desk in AMS in the first instance, rather than trying to find an EI desk.

Note also I think (although I can't find a reference for this immediately) that if both flights are operated by the same carrier, and the delay to the inbound flight is 'outside of the control' of the carrier, then there is no obligation on the carrier to provide hotel accommodation. It is up to the individual carrier's own policy - many do, but some don't...
Old May 26, 2012, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KQ321
Technically, I think it is the 'forwarding carrier' (in this case, Aer Lingus) who is responsible for providing hotel accommodation:
There are no EI desks or staff at Schiphol. Aer Lingus is represented at Schiphol by KLM. As such, the KLM desk and the KLM staff (and, as far as the passenger is concerned, KLM in general) would be in charge of handling the missed connection.
Old May 26, 2012, 9:45 am
Original Poster

The ticket was bought on KLM.com and AerLingus was their codeshare partner. The whole flight was under 1 PNR. It was her 1st time flying KLM, so we were not familiar with their system. When I called KLM to ask abt checking her in over the phone for the flight from AMS to SIN, the rep said he was not able to it and has check-in at airport and tht KLM will leave her behind if she missed the flight without the assurance that KLM will her put her up in a hotel overnite or take care of her in any manner. He even said the next available flight is the next day so cant schedule any later flight. So on the whole, the telephone conversation with KLM rep was not very good. However, we dont want to rule out flying KLM in the future bcos of 1 incident. But at least we know what to expect and what to do in the future. It was a learning experience for my niece and myself and she will know what to do in the future - to approach the KLM desk and seek help since it was a KLM ticket and they have to take care of their customer.

I so appreciate the contribution from everyone on this forum and really wish to express my gratitude.

update: my niece has called to let me know she has arrived safely in SIN and has gone to seek medical attention for her badly sprained ankle.

Thank you!

There are no EI desks or staff at Schiphol. Aer Lingus is represented at Schiphol by KLM. As such, the KLM desk and the KLM staff (and, as far as the passenger is concerned, KLM in general) would be in charge of handling the missed connection.
Old May 26, 2012, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
To the OP, I know this is OT, but why didn't your niece request special assistance because of her sprained ankle? She would have got it for free and it would have made for a far more comfortable (and safe) transfer as she would have been picked up by one of the mini cars that would have taken her directly to her next gate. If she has a return part to her flight any time soon, I would really recommend that she requests this as forcing on a damaged articulation can really do a lot of unnecessary harm. Anyway, I'm glad she made her connection and arrived safely and I hope her ankle won't have suffered further damage.
Old May 27, 2012, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Will definitely keep that in mind the next time. She had to run bcos the flight on AerLingus was delayed 37 mins on a 1 hours transit. Without the delay, she would not have to make a mad rush. By the time she found out about the delay, it was too late to request for assistance. She obviously wants to make it on her own if possible. Besides, she needed to get check-in and collect the boarding pass for the flight from AMS to SIN. No cart is going to stop for her to get check-in n collect a boarding pass. She is not mad or anything. So all in all a good learning lesson as this is only her 2nd International flight at age 19. So she is not a seasoned traveler and did not know the ins and outs of traveling. The thing I wasn't happy about was that I spoke to 3 different KLM Reps and none of them offered special assistance when I told them about the sprained ankle and none mentioned anything about KLM providing lodging if missed flight. One of them even gave me the impression tht it is just too bad if she missed her flight and she just hv to wait till the day bcos KLM has only 1 flight out of AMS to SIN.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
To the OP, I know this is OT, but why didn't your niece request special assistance because of her sprained ankle? She would have got it for free and it would have made for a far more comfortable (and safe) transfer as she would have been picked up by one of the mini cars that would have taken her directly to her next gate. If she has a return part to her flight any time soon, I would really recommend that she requests this as forcing on a damaged articulation can really do a lot of unnecessary harm. Anyway, I'm glad she made her connection and arrived safely and I hope her ankle won't have suffered further damage.

Last edited by Keflyer; May 28, 2012 at 9:39 am
Old May 29, 2012, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Keflyer
The thing I wasn't happy about was that I spoke to 3 different KLM Reps and none of them offered special assistance when I told them about the sprained ankle and none mentioned anything about KLM providing lodging if missed flight. One of them even gave me the impression tht it is just too bad if she missed her flight and she just hv to wait till the day bcos KLM has only 1 flight out of AMS to SIN.
Special assistance is something that the passenger needs to request - either through their travel agent or on 'manage my booking'. Airlines don't tend to mention it pro-actively (they certainly don't have to, and it comes with caveats such as the fact that the person requesting special assistance may need to check in earlier, etc) but it is very efficient. They would have absolutely stopped to get her boarding card etc. In fact, the special assistance is requested for the whole itinerary so the DUB people might have got in touch with the AMS ones to arrange something. They wouldn't do that for regular passengers but special needs are usually well taken care of. I do understand the preference for doing it on one's own and of course ultimately it is for her to decide what to choose, but delays are frequent and on a 1h10 connection, I personally would have taken the option to be on the safe side. It is also fair on the airline/airport that this needs to be requested in advance as of course they need to plan how the limited personnel available will be used on the day. As for what happens in case of missed connection in terms of accommodation, no airline will ever commit in advance and in general terms. If the incoming flight was so delayed that it was materially impossible to make the connection, accommodation should be provided. However, for example, if the first flight was 25 minutes late and your niece had 45 minutes to make the connection but missed it because of her foot or because she had got lost in the terminal or for whatever other reason which is not KLM's responsibility, the airline would not provide accommodation. So unfortunately, it is the case with all airlines that you have to first see what happens and then go to the transfer desk and ask 'so what happens now?' after your connection has been missed. I know it is more stressful but I think it is pretty much universal. Anyway, again, glad she made it! That's the most important!
Old May 29, 2012, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your view point. We hv concluded also that the best thing to do is to get help from the Transfer counter in the future shld something like ever happens again ( and she doesnt hv to panic n be scared). Every flight situation is different.

As agent at DUB was not able to check her in for both flights made it very stressful that she had to check-in at AMS upon arrival and get her boarding pass for the 2nd leg with limited and only to find out the flight to AMS is delayed by at least 1/2 hour. BTW, she checked in at DUB 4 over hours before flight time if you think she didnt check-in earlier. Armed with infor ( from posters above and from website, thank you ) that there are transit center that can help her check-in and get her boarding pass, that was what she was shooting for ( update - kiosk at AMS cld not print her boarding pass and needed an agent to print one for her ). With the delay by AerLingus made her even more stressed out, esplly at 19 years of age and never been to AMS airport, travelling Internationally for the 2nd time and not knowing what to expect, and what to expect from the airline. So, after this experience ( good learning experience ),and thanks to this forum, she knows what the airline can do for her should she finds herself in a situation like that. When you are 19 in a foreign land and by yourself with little travel experience, it gets awfully scary. Glad it all worked out well except for the very swollen ankle. Will definitely request for that assistance in future now that she knows it is a service she can request. She is glad to be home.

Thank you all! Learn something new everyday. Great forum.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Special assistance is something that the passenger needs to request - either through their travel agent or on 'manage my booking'. Airlines don't tend to mention it pro-actively (they certainly don't have to, and it comes with caveats such as the fact that the person requesting special assistance may need to check in earlier, etc) but it is very efficient. They would have absolutely stopped to get her boarding card etc. In fact, the special assistance is requested for the whole itinerary so the DUB people might have got in touch with the AMS ones to arrange something. They wouldn't do that for regular passengers but special needs are usually well taken care of. I do understand the preference for doing it on one's own and of course ultimately it is for her to decide what to choose, but delays are frequent and on a 1h10 connection, I personally would have taken the option to be on the safe side. It is also fair on the airline/airport that this needs to be requested in advance as of course they need to plan how the limited personnel available will be used on the day. As for what happens in case of missed connection in terms of accommodation, no airline will ever commit in advance and in general terms. If the incoming flight was so delayed that it was materially impossible to make the connection, accommodation should be provided. However, for example, if the first flight was 25 minutes late and your niece had 45 minutes to make the connection but missed it because of her foot or because she had got lost in the terminal or for whatever other reason which is not KLM's responsibility, the airline would not provide accommodation. So unfortunately, it is the case with all airlines that you have to first see what happens and then go to the transfer desk and ask 'so what happens now?' after your connection has been missed. I know it is more stressful but I think it is pretty much universal. Anyway, again, glad she made it! That's the most important!
Old May 29, 2012, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to point out, it *should* have been possible to check in online, on the KLM website, for both flights, which would then allow you to print out a boarding pass for both flights as early as the day before departure. KLM flights open for checkin 30 hours before departure of the first flight.

Something to bear in mind for the next time!
Old May 30, 2012, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, it *Should* have been able to but *could* not be done at KLM.com. She received email from KLM.com asking her to check-in online, but the system would not allow her to do so. So we are aware you can check-in 30 hours from flight time.

Not only was she was not able to check-in on line at KLM.com within that 30 hours, she was not able to do so at the airport at DUB for the KLM flight from AMS to SIN when she check-in at DUB. Trust me, she tried and I tried online with no success every time indicating that she needed to check-in at AMS airport. The rep at KLM cant even check her in over phone for the KLM flight when I called 3 times. Mind you, her flight was under 1 PNR from DUB to SIN via AMS ( codeshare on AerLingus for DUB to AMS ). So, if the KLM rep cant do it over phone on the day travel, there is absolutely nothing we can do but wait till she got to AMS airport. Maybe a system goofup at KLM.com. Not sure.

Appreciate your thought!

* Exploring possibility of taking Turkish Airlines from SIN to DUB, all on 1 airlines, no codeshare. Niece has to travel for 4 more years of school. So maybe a good idea to source out a better flight.

Just to point out, it *should* have been possible to check in online, on the KLM website, for both flights, which would then allow you to print out a boarding pass for both flights as early as the day before departure. KLM flights open for checkin 30 hours before departure of the first flight.

Old May 31, 2012, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TK via IST is of course another option, but the fact that it involves no codeshare shouldn't really make any difference. A TK to TK connection at IST is, in theory, just as likely to run into connection issues as an EI to KL connection at AMS. As long as you are travelling on a single ticket the carrier will be under some obligation to thepassenger if they fail to make the connection. Travelling on an all-TK metal journey doesn't "protect" you to any greater extent, or make it less likely that "issues" might occur.

KL/EI have been partners for years, and the relationship usually works smoothly. Online checkin usually works fine.

The TK option, given that there is only 1 flight a day from DUB compared to EI's 5 flights to AMS, probably means a longer time in transit waiting for the onward connection. IST isn't as good an airport to kill the time while waiting as AMS is.

I wouldn't turn my back on EI/KL just yet - 1 bad experience caused by the unfortunate combination of a delayed flight with check-in problems isn't what you can expect as the norm on this flight. Though perhaps taking an earlier EI flight - rather than the last one of the day - may be more to your niece's liking next time. Allowing 1 hour for a connection in Amsterdam is usually sufficient, but as you saw yourself, when the incoming flight is delayed it can quickly lead to a situation full of stress and worry.

By the way, you should get your niece to sign up for Flying Blue and credit the miles for these flights to her account, if she hasn't already done so.

Last edited by irishguy28; May 31, 2012 at 2:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.