Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vague policy (if any) on OP-UPS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, KLM Flying Blue Gold, Emirates Skywards Blue, Priority Club Ambassador Gold
Vague policy (if any) on OP-UPS

On Friday December 14th I was on a KL1060 to Amsterdam. Obviously Y was overbooked. The sky priority waiting area held 9 passengers, according to the labels at least 3 gold and 3 plat.
The last person in the regular boarding lane, Y and most likely with no status, got a new boarding pass in C.

I wonder if it was laziness of the gate agent or is it like this all across the board?
I do not think that anyone with status is entitled to get upgrades for free, but in case of operational upgrades elites should be considered first. Moreover, I think it is disrespectful to the FB elites!

Unfortunately, it is not the first time I have seen the last 6 months. But I have never ever experienced this kind of sloppy OP-UP policy on BA (the airline I flew before the summer).

Do other forum members have similar experiences? What are the rules on OP-UPS?

Chrz!
D
Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I've been the last person in the regular line at times and am a mere FB GOLD.

I don't fancy the rush nor see the necessity to scramble onto the plane and then sit there ans extra 20 minutes or so on shorthaul flights.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by ANstar
I've been the last person in the regular line at times and am a mere FB GOLD.

I don't fancy the rush nor see the necessity to scramble onto the plane and then sit there ans extra 20 minutes or so on shorthaul flights.
This post is about OP-UPs, not about people's preference for boarding first or last. The OP was, rightly, complaining that the upgrade went to a random person without status instead of a PE or GE.

(As regards choosing to board last... fine if you have no carry-on to go in the overhead. I'd rather get on first and make sure there is somewhere to stow my backpack)
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
This post is about OP-UPs, not about people's preference for boarding first or last. The OP was, rightly, complaining that the upgrade went to a random person without status instead of a PE or GE.
And I was trying to point out - that one should not assume the last person to go through boarding has no status.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, KLM Flying Blue Gold, Emirates Skywards Blue, Priority Club Ambassador Gold
I realize that! But trust me, this person had no status. I do not think that I should have had the upgrade, I am just a gold, it should have been given to one of the plats. Personally I hardly see a difference in the Y and C product on KL.

I was just asking if this was an incident and what the policy is on OP-UPS.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Diederick
I realize that! But trust me, this person had no status.
How could you tell?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Diederick
I was just asking if this was an incident and what the policy is on OP-UPS.
At outstations, who knows? I don't think there are any KL staff at CWL (at Heathrow, for instance, they're handled by Cobalt Ground Solutions) and I would expect that, at least in some outstations, when they have to do op-ups, they just do whatever is the easiest for themselves.

With Gold status, and in the past year with Platinum, I have had a fairly good "strike rate" at getting an op-up when on overbooked flights from AMS and from Germany (where they probably stick to the "rules" (if there are any) more rigidly) and, from these locations, it appeared to me that anyone else who got the beep at the boarding gate also had status. The last time it happened at AMS, the boarding agent made a big deal of telling me that I'd been upgraded "because of your Platinum status".

Originally Posted by Zembla
How could you tell?
These days it's easier than in the past, now that the "Sky Priority" text or logo is printed on the boarding pass of all elite passengers - if you can catch a glimpse of the passenger's boarding pass, of course.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:43 am
Original Poster

There was obviously no "priority" on the persons boarding card. Indeed in Cardiff it is all handled by local staff. They did the easy thing: "damn no seat in Y for this last person .... but hey there are seats in C". Anyway, I was curious what the policy currently is.

Chrz!
D
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
op up policy outlined here already so many times..

KLM op/up policy has been outlined on this forum already so many times, , additionally it is also mentioned on their website.
And yes i guess occasionally groundstaff will make alterations, perhaps the next time u r the lucky one. CWL-AMS is a flight of 1h25min right??
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by splflyer
KLM op/up policy has been outlined on this forum already so many times, , additionally it is also mentioned on their website
Can you please post a link? This has never previously been mentioned here, and I can't find any mention on the KLM website.

Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:29 pm

Programs: KLM FB plat
Are you sure it wasn't a non-rev?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 2:24 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Betrouwbaar
Are you sure it wasn't a non-rev?
LOL
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Funny!
An asian woman with hair to her butt, very long nails, age approximately 25, and problems with English....... yeah I think it was non-rev

Chrz!
D
Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: KLM FB plat
With that description, could have been merchant marine crew on a corporate contract. I see them getting op-up all the time, also on long haul.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Betrouwbaar
With that description, could have been merchant marine crew on a corporate contract. I see them getting op-up all the time, also on long haul.
I don't.

I cannot recall a single instance of any of our marine crew getting an op-up on short or longhaul on any airline. with the exception of those who hold FF elite status. Even then they are rare.

Come to think of it, I can recall exactly one case. I got an op-up at the gate flying AMS-ARN. A non-elite colleague was in line behind me, and when the GA realized we knew each other she op-upped him too.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.