Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Day time flight BKK-AMS-MAN jet lag strategy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Day time flight BKK-AMS-MAN jet lag strategy

Due to the new summer timetable this flight has changed from the usual night time 747 to the dreaded 777-200 day time flight leaving BKK at 12.25 and arriving in MAN via Schipol at 21.40.
Fortunately I am in J Class but as this is the first time I have flown the 777-200 and the first time I have flown back to Europe from BKK in the day time I have absolutely no idea of the best strategy for avoiding jet lag.
My usual strategy for a night time flight is to have a few beers in the lounge followed by a few glasses of wine over dinner and then try to sleep usually pretty successfully.
I would be very grateful for any advice from those experienced in day time east-west flights as to how best to approach it. I have reserved a front row aisle seat which I appreciate is adjacent to the toilet and galley but at least I will not be troubled by the person in front reclining. If this is a big mistake please let me know.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Jet lag is never as bad going west - and when it's a daylight flight, it's easier again, because soon after you get home, it will be bedtime anyway.

By all means, have a snooze during the flight if you wish, but I wouldn't set out to have a full-on all-flight sleep. You'll be able to have a full night's sleep when you get home, and that really is the best way to overcome the jet-lag.

When I have west-bound daytime flights, I look forward to watching lots of movies. If I'm tired, I might have a snooze, but usually I don't.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: FB LTPE, hhonors diamond, hertz 5*, Thalysthecard Platinium, A-club Silver, IHG Platinum
It's very similar to any transatlantic flight from Europe to the US. My strategy is not to sleep on the flight, have a meal with a couple of beers when I arrive and go to bed. If you go to bed too late (e.g. past 6 AM original timezone, as when flying to US westcoast and arriving late), use melatonin to ensure you get enough hours of sleep and not wakeup at 1 AM local time.

Just enjoy the early rises and try to keep your evening schedule open the first couple of days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.