Wiki Posts
Search

Checking skis on KLM

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
Checking skis on KLM

I am flying to Switzerland in two weeks to go skiing. Flights are on KLM: IAD-AMS-GVA. I am trying to get a definitive answer about if KLM allows a ski bag and a boot bag to count as one piece of checked luggage. Most American airlines take this approach....but KLM's website isn't clear:

A set of (water-) ski or snowboard equipment may consist of a board or pair of skis, two ski poles and a pair of ski boots.

Such a set counts as a single piece of baggage, which may weigh up to 23 kg (50.5 lbs). If your equipment weighs more, or if you bring it on top of your baggage allowance, excess baggage fees apply.

Always make a reservation for your special baggage at least 48 hours before departure, and ensure your reservation is confirmed.

Does anyone have experience with this? The KLM Facebook person just told me all the equipment must be in one bag.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: FB plat for life
In my experience they indeed count the boots plus the set of ski's (2 separate items) as one extra piece. For european flights, if you only are allowed one piece, and you already have a suitcase, they charge you for one extra piece for these 2 items.

Make sure though, to inform KLM at least 48 hrs before the first flight and make sure to get a confirmation (number) that they accepted it. I have had discussions that they charged me because it supposedly had not been confirmed 48 hrs before. Guess they need to make room for your skis .... ?

Happy skiing !
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:24 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
My brother is coming over to visit (I live in Switzerland) from the Nordics and he was firstly quoted EUR 110 return to bring the skis as extras and secondly that this did include the boots (which as you know are heavy and take up quite some space).

He has no status with FB.

Hope this gives some kind of indication, but being KLM one never knows if it changes when you actually stand at the airport getting ready to check in...
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: FB LTPE, hhonors diamond, hertz 5*, Thalysthecard Platinium, A-club Silver, IHG Platinum
No skier puts his boots in the same bag as his skis, so the text on the site if a bit ambiguous can only be interpreted as it counts as one bag, using common sense.

Bring a copy of the text of the website with you when you check in.

Make sure you book the skis. It should show up as sports equipment in your reservation that you can check online.

Check in with ample time to spare before your flight, smile at the counter...

I will be trying this process in 2.5 weeks on AMS-YVR for a week in Whistler. Can't wait..
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone...I did go ahead and submit the request for my skis (they actually required the dimensions of my bag!).

I am Skyteam Elite Plus, so I should be getting two free bags. In the case that they want to insist the boot bag counts as a separate bag, I will just bring my rollaboard on with me, though I will have to leave it in the left luggage in Schiphol while I spend the day in Amsterdam during my layover.

Thanks for the tip about checking the luggage info online...it does indeed show a sports equipment reservation for both legs.

I will try to remember to report back here after I depart with how it goes.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:00 am
Original Poster

The boot bag and the ski bag were indeed treated as one item. The agent at IAD seemed to be aware of this policy without me showing her the written policy. KLM then proceeded to lose my skis for two days in Amsterdam, resulting in my spending $80 on rentals, for two of the three days of skiing, so it was pretty much all a wash anyhow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.