FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   MAN-AMS-BKK KL v. CA in J Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1303785-man-ams-bkk-kl-v-ca-j-class.html)

duan Jan 18, 2012 2:22 am

MAN-AMS-BKK KL v. CA in J Class

I have used KL for this route ever since they introduced the 60'' seat pitch I guess 13 years or so ago. Due to KL's enormous price increase of over £300 for flights later this year, part of which is due to UK taxes, I am thinking very seriously of switching to CI and saving over £700 per return flight.
I have tried to seek the answers to the following questions on FlyerTalk's Other Asian Airlines forum without real success and I would be very grateful if those forum members who have flown this route could help me with their views.
1. If you buy 2 separate tickets for the MAN-AMS KL flight and the AMS-BKK CI flight, which I understand may be the cheapest way of doing it, can you check your bags all the way through to BKK when you check in for the KL flight in MAN without having to collect them in AMS and check in for the KL flight in AMS?
2.Once CI introduce the new seating on the AMS-BKK flight later this year how will the seats and rest of the CI product compare with KL's existing product in J Class?
3.What is the cheapest way of purchasing these tickets over the internet?
4.The CI website is not catagoric on whether a Skyteam elite plus member can reserve the CI equivalent of upper deck exit row 77 when the 90 day seat booking window opens. Can anyone please confirm the position?

I would very much appreciate any advice fellow forum members may be able to give me.

irishguy28 Jan 18, 2012 2:40 am

First off - CA is Air China, a Star Alliance carrier. It would be much easier if people here used the carrier's name rather than their short code, particularly when they get the code wrong! You obviously mean CI, China Airlines.

To answer question number 1, if you are connecting on the same day, and with enough time to make the connection, then the check-in agent at Manchester should indeed be able to check your bags all the way through to BKK if you show them your onward ticket from Amsterdam. But allow enough time for your connection just in case this is not possible on the day.

KLflyerRalph Jan 18, 2012 9:00 am

If you're in J, you should be able to select your seat in advance.

As an Elite(not +) it is apparently not possible I have been told last week. (However I doubt the reliability of that info)

irishguy28 Jan 18, 2012 9:00 am

Just came back to say: the FB partner page for China Airlines lists the following exclusions:

Originally Posted by Flying Blue
*Note: The following flights are excluded for accrual and redemption:

* Amsterdam – Bangkok – Taipei (CI66)
* Taipei – Bangkok – Amsterdam (CI65)

* All Ferry & Training flights with flight numbers between 1000 - 1999
* All other flights with flight numbers between 4000 – 4999
* All Freighter flights with flight numbers between 5000 – 6999
* All charter flights with flight numbers between 7000 – 7999

So perhaps you should factor not receiving any Award/Level Miles or Qualifying Segments into your decision of whether to book on China Airlines. (To be honest, I am flabbergasted that they would not allow earning on these routes...)

KLflyerRalph Jan 18, 2012 9:44 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 17836880)
Just came back to say: the FB partner page for China Airlines lists the following exclusions:

So perhaps you should factor not receiving any Award/Level Miles or Qualifying Segments into your decision of whether to book on China Airlines. (To be honest, I am flabbergasted that they would not allow earning on these routes...)

Hah! I owe my parents an apology for the tantrum I gave them when I heard they booked our trip in a non-earning booking class! :p
But now it seems that AMS-BKK earns no miles at all, I'm cooled down a bit. :D

BTW it's absolute rubbish that FB won't allow accrual on this route. Pure monopoly.

duan Jan 19, 2012 10:43 pm

Many thanks for pointing out my error. I have edited the text and would be grateful if a moderator could edit the thread title.
Thank you also for confirming that I should be able to check my bags all the way through to BKK and the position in relation to the exit rows and Skyteam which may well affect my decision.
If anyone can provide me with an idea of the difference in seat comfort and service in J class between KLM and China Airlines I would greatly appreciate it.