Worst ever KLM experience to date (on my re-qualifying FBG MR).

Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:50 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
Angry Worst ever KLM experience to date (on my re-qualifying FBG MR).

Did a flight from AMS to CPH on Saturday and were seated in the first row of Y (5A and 5B). We were amongst the first to board the flight and when we got to our seats, the cabin divider was placed, not aligning the seat in front of us, but half way between our seat back and the seat back in front of us so if the tray table was lowered, the front of it would be in line with the curtain. My other half had to limbo to get into her seat and I could hardly get in at all (I’m quite tall).

I kindly asked one of the cabin crew (it was the person who stands in row 2DEF also “greeting” people after the purser) and he reluctantly came over. I asked if it maybe was possible to move the divider to where it was supposed to be (I’d say around 20 cm or so) as I clearly would not be able to get out in case of an emergency situation. He answered : “NO, we will find another seat for you!” and was clearly irritated over my request. I replied that he surely must have been kidding me, as the flight seemed pretty packed and the seat next to me was not occupied. He replied: “You can also stay behind in Amsterdam if you prefer!” and turned his back to us and went back up to the front (and checked the passenger list for sure)… Needless to say that I was speechless and said that (as he had turned his back to me and left) I would should probably take it up with CS later.

Within 20 seconds later the purser came down and moved the divider (without saying a word to us) which took him less than 5 seconds. I kindly thanked him but didn’t get any acknowledgment, apology or as much as a smile (also a male).

I had my coat hanging on the coat hanger next to me in 5C which was free from when we boarded the flight until we were going to land. (the latch that holds the tray table also, as most of you know, doubles as a coat hanging hook). I always have my coat on either my lap or hanging on the hook on shorter flights as I mostly fall asleep which I also did during the whole of this flight.

The same cabin crew person came over and asked very nicely if I had enjoyed the flight (I was half asleep) as we were getting ready to land. I thought ok, we’re building up an apology which I was ready to accept without prejudice and I answered just as nicely as he had asked me “yes”; he then asked if he could take my coat which I also took as a sign of being friendly and trying to patch things up but I said no thanks as it was fine having it hanging on the hook. He then said no you can’t have it hanging there in case there is an emergency and made a silly grin obviously making a clear referral to the conversation earlier. Again, I was speechless and just replied: “OK, whatever” where after my coat was placed in the overhead bin.

Leaving the plane he choose not to thank us or say anything of the usual have a nice day etc, but just saw right through us.

So, I feel I want to make a complaint to KLM and make sure that someone actually actions this. I don’t care about the extra miles or standard letter as I felt the employee was not only rude, but also trying to intimidate and patronize us to such an extent it actually was very unpleasant to be there.

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 3:55 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Worth a quick use of the feedback form in my opinion. Absolutely out of order.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:13 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Send in your complaint through KLM.nl. I have found the complaints department to work very well lately. A few times I have sent in a complaint or compliment, and almost in all cases they called me the next day for more information and/or compensation.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Shame you had to go through this. Write them.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Shame you had to go through this. Write them.
+4^

Don't think it's the sort of attitude KLM wants from it's staff.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:49 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
From my meeting with KLM I was told that they are keen to hear of situations where things did not go as planned.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:32 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks for your replies guys. Highly appreciated indeed. ^^^

Gajan, is there a specific address I should send my letter of experience to (as I could imagine the complaints department won't do anything out of the ordinary vs what you had been informed at the KLM meeting) or should I go through the ordinary channels as recommended above?

I must say that CS at KLM (at least the UK center) are very good at getting back with mails and follow up phone calls...

I shall of course keep you all updated...
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Cupart
Thanks for your replies guys. Highly appreciated indeed. ^^^

Gajan, is there a specific address I should send my letter of experience to (as I could imagine the complaints department won't do anything out of the ordinary vs what you had been informed at the KLM meeting) or should I go through the ordinary channels as recommended above?

I must say that CS at KLM (at least the UK center) are very good at getting back with mails and follow up phone calls...

I shall of course keep you all updated...
The normal contact form on the web should be fine. If you do not hear anything I can always forward this thread to my contact at KLM.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:49 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Photo of the divider here if any one is interested... The divider is actually in perfect line with the panel on the left, but I had to angle the camera to get it all in shot!

So tried to post my experience on KLM's web site but keep getting an error that I should check my entry (which I did 7 times!)...

Anyone have a postal address I can send my letter to?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: FB plf; IB oro; LA black
Talking

Photo of the divider here if any one is interested... The divider is actually in perfect line with the panel on the left, but I had to angle the camera to get it all in shot!

So tried to post my experience on KLM's web site but keep getting an error that I should check my entry (which I did 7 times!)...

Really great picture, understand your trouble. Nice hankerchief if you got a flu isn't it?

My worth KL experience FA walking without shoes in the galley with trays (and meals) leaning on the carpet: goede maaltijd
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:11 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Wow, that is bad indeed! Make sure to include that picture with your complaint.

This is a 737 right? I was seated in 5C a few days ago, also right in front of the divider. I coincidentally made a shot of that to show the ground speed on the monitor (Which was very high due to strong winds).

Picture

Note that from the looks of it the panel was actually also aligned with the ridge on the wall/side....However in my case the curtain was aligned perfectly with the seats back of the row in front of me. Which one would expect since the divider is locked into place with the help of placeholders that are installed together with the seats.

Last edited by Xandrios; Dec 14, 2011 at 12:16 pm
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: FB plat for life

KLM Consumentenbetrekkingen, SPL/PA Postbus 7700 , 1117 ZL Luchthaven Schiphol

good luck

PJH
Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:04 am

If you have Facebook I would send them a message on Facebook. Beats snail mail!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:46 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

OK, I have decided to send the request by snail mail (to the address supplied by pjhartog ^) today as it seems more "proper" than through FB (and I don't have a FB account).

I have attached the photo I took as well with my letter and will keep ye all updated with any progress in my complaint/experience.

Being Christmas and all, it will probably take some time before I hear back from KLM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 5:58 am

Youve had some great flights this far if this is your worst flight ever. Or am I not seeing something here, besides the attitude of the cabin crew.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.