Search

Great upgrade record since making FB Gold

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, FB, UA
Great upgrade record since making FB Gold

Hey all--

I often have negative feelings about KLM (rude staff, messed up vegetarian meals, etc.) but this year started off with a bang. After making FB Gold at the end of last year, my next two European flights (both this January) have featured:

First flight: An op-up at boarding--economy was oversold;
Second flight: There were empty seats in economy but a completely empty business class; the purser came to my seat after takeoff and brought me and one other person to the business class section in recognition of our elite status (we also got the biz food, pillow/blanket etc.) I'd add that he was particularly attentive and professional.

Of course intra-europe business is not the finest flying in the sky, but this kind of treatment certainly leaves me feeling special.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: DL PM, LY Silver
So you order special meals and get upgraded anyway on KLM.

Some say this doesn't happen.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:12 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Don't "worry", it will wear off with time...

Same happened to me but then the upgrade curve started to point downwards (even from my highly successful HEL-AMS upgrade wave) and now it is more or less gone all together

I'm wondering if they use the upgrade thing as an advert thinking that once you have tried C there is no going back (which is right in many ways, but not quite cost-wise for me)
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GMill
So you order special meals and get upgraded anyway on KLM.

Some say this doesn't happen.
OP flew intra-European. Then there's no option to order a vegetarian meal.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, FB, UA
Right about special meals--you can't order on these flights, so it wasn't an "issue". I was impressed about the purser in flight upgrades though--is that frequent for elites on european flights?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by neflyer13
Right about special meals--you can't order on these flights, so it wasn't an "issue". I was impressed about the purser in flight upgrades though--is that frequent for elites on european flights?
Oh no you better don't count on it!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by neflyer13
is that frequent for elites on european flights?
Not in my experience. When flying as an unaccompanied minor years ago onboard upgrades were routine (to Royal Class), but in recent years I can recall two instances, one wth the full meal service, the other time we were offered a drink from the bar.

Johan
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: FB Gold, TK Miles & Smiles Elite, Aeroplan
Had the same experience as OP last week:
made it to FB Gold at the end of last year as well and was upgraded at time of boarding on the first flight of this year (intra-European flight) out of AMS.
There was only 3 of us in ES (of which at least 2 upgraded from Y) with the ES meal service etc.

In addition we had the most friendly and accommodating purser you could possibly wish for. I won't keep my hopes up, but if this happens a few more times this year I'll make sure to reach Gold again by the end of 2012.

At OLCI today was automatically assigned exit row seats on 737-700 (at no surcharge). Not bad either!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Since the merge there were (valid) complaints that the chance to be upgraded had gone down dramatically. For a few years there were almost no reports of upgrades on KL and AF. I have the impression that chances to be upgraded are on the increase again. ^

Very cool development. Now I hope we all can stay cool and refrain from expecting them. After all, nice surprises are better enjoyed tan things we take for granted, aren't they?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: FB-LTPE
Originally Posted by Zembla
Very cool development. Now I hope we all can stay cool and refrain from expecting them. After all, nice surprises are better enjoyed tan things we take for granted, aren't they?
I totally agree; and 2 upgrades out of 2 flights is not enough to think there is such a cool development, but just someone being lucky.

A few years ago, I got upgraded AMS-BKK and again on the return BKK-AMS, then soon afterwards on AMS-NBO; things are changing I thought then, but of course it was followed by a long upgrade dry-spell.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: FB plf; IB oro; LA black
Got gold in august, since that date (something like 15 flights): nothing I only did received my card but did not either received a mail "congratulations..." similar at the one I recived when few month before I reknewed for silver.
Deux poids deux mesures?
Sad.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 3:04 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue, Singapore Airlines Kris Flyer, British Airways Executive Club
I was last upgraded from economy to business (for CWL to AMS which was only an hour flight). I've been with KLM for about 2.5 years now (with gold level) and have been upgraded no less than 4 times. I fly between CWL and AMS most of the time and the usually inform me of the upgrade at the gate area (just before boarding) and this is always due to an oversold economy class.
The best upgrade I had was a 12 hours flight from AMS to KUL. This was due to a last minute aircraft change from a B777-300 to a B777-200 and they have somehow messed up the booking system and a passenger and myself were assigned to the same seat, hence the upgrade for me.

I think upgrades possibility depend on the routes that you are flying. Southeast asia destinations (KUL, SIN and BKK) are really popular at present and not only their economy class but business class seats are almost always sold out.
CWL has three flights a day to AMS and their business class is never sold out, hence the chances of being upgraded is higher when/if economy is overbooked.

I never expect an upgrade when I fly so its always a nice surprise when they tell you at the gate.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 3:23 am

Programs: AA EXP UA Gold QR Platinum Hilton Gold FB Sinbad
I am FB Platinum with AF, and there is not even a reognition of that fact. I was not treated in no way special during a recent Y flight LHR CDG and there is no special recognition at AF lounges. I have stopped expecting anything like normal behaviour and decency from AF staff at CDG and was hoping to change to KLM next year out of AMS. Two days ago I flew C from CDG to AMS and then on to JFK and the difference in friendliness at CDG and AMS were like day and night. Also you have to fly a lot or pay a lot of money to become Platinum, a regular Y ticket across the pond get something like 1400 miles per crossing! The only advantage I see being FB Gold or Platinum is the access to Lounges which are good at CDG and very good at AMS. KLM FAs are also much friendlier. Adieu AF and Bienvenue KLM in 2012
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
I thought that purser's weren't permitted to give inflight upgrades?!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:13 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Canada freak
I won't keep my hopes up, but if this happens a few more times this year I'll make sure to reach Gold again by the end of 2012.
That's part of hte point of AF/KL giving these once in a while upgrades to FBG card holders... They just scored another 30 segments from you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.