Wiki Posts
Search

FLUX (Privium & Global Entry) for dual citizens

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
FLUX (Privium & Global Entry) for dual citizens

I was wondering if anybody had experience with FLUX, which is a rapid customs and immigration screening system for use at Schiphol and international airports in the USA. What is your experience so far, and is it worth the cost? And does it make a big difference during customs processing?

I have two questions, specific to people of dual nationality (US and Dutch):

1. Does dual nationality disqualify membership and, more importantly, could it potentially raise flags in the bureaucracies of either country? (leading to all sorts of hassles with government)

2. Given that I have the "benefit" of being able to use the immigration queue of my choice at either end, would it really save that much more time? I honestly have never had much to complain about regarding immigration wait times, it is the wait for baggage at US airports and customs processing that takes a long time.

Bonus questions: Which passport would be used?

And if anybody has any general experience or comments, those are obviously welcome too! ^
Old Apr 13, 2010, 1:18 am

Programs: FB LTPE, hhonors diamond, hertz 5*, Thalysthecard Platinium, A-club Silver, IHG Platinum
Dutch law generally does not allow dual citizenship by naturalization, unless certain exemptions apply. If your dual citizenship is legal, than I guess it doesn't matter which passport you use.

On the Amsterdam side, this is identical to Privium, which may save occasionally save some time, but as you say, if you check luggage you generally have to wait much longer in any case.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 2:18 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
I was wondering if anybody had experience with FLUX, which is a rapid customs and immigration screening system for use at Schiphol and international airports in the USA. What is your experience so far, and is it worth the cost? And does it make a big difference during customs processing?

I have two questions, specific to people of dual nationality (US and Dutch):

1. Does dual nationality disqualify membership and, more importantly, could it potentially raise flags in the bureaucracies of either country? (leading to all sorts of hassles with government)

2. Given that I have the "benefit" of being able to use the immigration queue of my choice at either end, would it really save that much more time? I honestly have never had much to complain about regarding immigration wait times, it is the wait for baggage at US airports and customs processing that takes a long time.

Bonus questions: Which passport would be used?

And if anybody has any general experience or comments, those are obviously welcome too! ^
1. It shouldn't, but only if you fall under the allowed dual nationality situations recognized by the Dutch.

2. You don't really have a choice in the US, as you will be entering on your US passport, and thus normally be in the citizens queue.

Now, in my experience, when it comes to luggage, it can make a difference depending on the airport. On a recent ORD arrival, by the time my suitcase came out, the only people from my flight who had made it through immigration were:
- the flight crew
- passengers in wheelchairs
- me (thanks to GE)

So even with checked luggage, it can save quite a bit of time.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Apr 13, 2010, 3:17 am
Original Poster

The dual nationality is legal (by right through birth, not due to naturalization). But the rule of thumb for dual nationals has always been to not advertise dual-nationality too much especially to the national authorities unless absolutely necessary (it invariably creates headaches).
Old Apr 13, 2010, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Okay, now I feel a little silly. I received an e-mail from FLUX in response to a query I sent a few days ago:

Originally Posted by FLUX
Dear Mr. xxxxx,

Thank you for your e-mail. If you have U.S. nationality and the
Dutch Nationality, you do not need FLUX. With your Dutch nationality you
can become a Privium member and with your U.S. nationality you can
become a Gobal Entry member.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

xxxxx
Customer Relations

FLUX Alliance
Makes obvious sense of course, except the nice thing about FLUX was that it was "one stop" shopping; I could get it all sorted at Schiphol not too far away. But it also makes sense. I imagine they only can use one passport (for now) and then I'd be entering one or the other country with the "wrong" passport.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:28 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Well kudos to them for sending such a nice email. Many would ignore the request, or worse, try to sell something even though they would know it doesn't work.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:17 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Any ongoing promotions for Privium?

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any ongoing special promo for new Privium members? Am planning to apply for one so that I can join the Flux/Global Entry scheme. I am looking for the Basic application.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
An offer was made to all Flying Blue members resident in the Netherlands in April 2010 - the details are still online although the offer was to expire in October 2010 - your best bet to have this question answered correctly is to contact FLUX and ask them.

(Here is the KLM partner sign up page for FLUX which still appears to be active (even if the terms of the offer may no longer be active))

In 2006, Dutch-resident FB members were offered a special rate of joining Privium Basic - €50 + 17,000 FB miles instead of the then-standard fee of €99. Not such a great deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.