Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum connection time Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2011, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Minimum connection time Amsterdam

I've got family connecting at AMS from HAM going onward to BHX with a 40 minute connection time, arriving and departing with KLM. I'm pretty sure this too little, what do you think?
Old May 14, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
It really depends on the assigned gates. HAM is usually served by Fokker A/C's so they'll probably have a B-gate. In the worst case even a bus gate. That can really delay them.
UK bound flights however usually depart from the D-concourse. Right after passport control -which they'll have to clear in the terminal when going to the non-Schengen part-, so no hike to the furthest gates. Boarding closes ten minutes before departure, and they'll have to clear security at the gate. Pretty tight.
If the HAM flight is early, they'll probably make it. But if it is even slightly later, I don't think they will.
Old May 14, 2011, 10:09 am

40 minutes is the exact minimum connecting time at AMS. It's been the minimum connecting time since time immemorial, and although I've done 40 minute connections in recent years my personal opinion is that it's no longer appropriate except for Schengen-to-Schengen connections where you just walk from one gate to the next.

HAM flights are normally E190s and you normally disembark at a gate (I travel AMS-HAM a lot so this is from personal experience). I don't know, without looking it up, if BHX flights go from D6 (the bus gate) or one of the other D gates. D6 has the advantage that it's not far to go, but it's got the disadvantage that it's ten gates rolled into one with only one security checkpoint so you often have long queues.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
HAM flights are normally E190s and you normally disembark at a gate (I travel AMS-HAM a lot so this is from personal experience). I don't know, without looking it up, if BHX flights go from D6 (the bus gate) or one of the other D gates. D6 has the advantage that it's not far to go, but it's got the disadvantage that it's ten gates rolled into one with only one security checkpoint so you often have long queues.
I assume the 40 minute HAM-AMS-BHX is the KL1781 to KL1431 one. KL1781 is operated by E190 and as pointed out these flights mostly arrive at the B 20's gates.

BHX B737 flights mostly depart at the 'low D' gates, not the D6 bus station.

B to D including passport control and security check is tight, KLM offer it as within the minimum connection time and there is a later flight to BHX...

I'd say yes if your familiy member knows AMS, can walk fast and holds a EU passport. Of course row 1 or row 17 on the E190 makes some difference as well...
Old May 15, 2011, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichielR
I'd say yes if your familiy member knows AMS, can walk fast and holds a EU passport. Of course row 1 or row 17 on the E190 makes some difference as well...
Now this is the other problem. They don't know AMS and one of them has to walk slowly.
For the better, i'll tell them to cancel it now, and move onto the next flight as it's not worth the risk of staying in AMS for a night or something if the next flight is full.
Old May 15, 2011, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
In my experince bus gates for HAM-AMS are often used, even for the E190s which now serve the route exclusively afaik. With a bus gate a seat upfront won't help. Just last weekend I did a 55min connection HAM-AMS-MAN which was doable but I won't recommend. If passport control is slow it could become really tight.

But the: what is there to loose? When would the next BHX flight be?
Old May 15, 2011, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
In my experince bus gates for HAM-AMS are often used, even for the E190s which now serve the route exclusively afaik. With a bus gate a seat upfront won't help. Just last weekend I did a 55min connection HAM-AMS-MAN which was doable but I won't recommend. If passport control is slow it could become really tight.

But the: what is there to loose? When would the next BHX flight be?
The next flight is the 21:45 KL1435. That's a long wait and there's a risk the flight is full so you'll need to stay overnight.
Old May 15, 2011, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by hifly15
Now this is the other problem. They don't know AMS and one of them has to walk slowly.
How about booking assistance (i.e., a ride in an electric cart)? They'll jump the queues that way...
Old Oct 16, 2011, 4:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
First time connecting in AMS. I am planning on booking this itinerary on 1/21/2012:

Delta – Flight 8400
Operated by Air France
Take-off Sat 7:15a CDG Paris, France
Landing Sat 8:35a AMS Amsterdam, Netherlands

Connection AMS Amsterdam, Netherlands 1h 15m
Delta – Flight 179 10h 35m
Take-off Sat 9:50a AMS Amsterdam, Netherlands
Landing Sat 11:25a PDX Portland, OR

Should I feel comfortable with the 1h15m?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:21 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by B7e7US
First time connecting in AMS. I am planning on booking this itinerary on 1/21/2012:

Delta – Flight 8400
Operated by Air France
Take-off Sat 7:15a CDG Paris, France
Landing Sat 8:35a AMS Amsterdam, Netherlands

Connection AMS Amsterdam, Netherlands 1h 15m
Delta – Flight 179 10h 35m
Take-off Sat 9:50a AMS Amsterdam, Netherlands
Landing Sat 11:25a PDX Portland, OR

Should I feel comfortable with the 1h15m?
Should be fine as you are going from Schengen to Non-Schengen. The security will be done at the gate of your departing flight.

Gajan
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Gajan
Should be fine as you are going from Schengen to Non-Schengen. The security will be done at the gate of your departing flight.

Gajan
Is he able (as Delta FO) to use fast track immigration or is this only for AFKL Elite(+)s and ST Elite+?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 4:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Is he able (as Delta FO) to use fast track immigration or is this only for AFKL Elite(+)s and ST Elite+?
Usually not. It's been hit or miss for me, but I've heard about other FO's not having luck at all. Will be a Delta GM by then though.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by B7e7US
Usually not. It's been hit or miss for me, but I've heard about other FO's not having luck at all. Will be a Delta GM by then though.
IIRC there is a priority lane at passport control at least for AFKL elites and also ST Elite+. If lines are long you can use it.
But I think your time will be enough. Just no time for the lounge.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:34 am

IIRC there is a priority lane at passport control at least for AFKL elites and also ST Elite+. If lines are long you can use it.
But I think your time will be enough. Just no time for the lounge.
Wasnt there a fast lane for short connections at the security/passportcontrol between B/C and D/E/F?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 1:16 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by SQ325
Wasnt there a fast lane for short connections at the security/passportcontrol between B/C and D/E/F?
Yes, but I believe only for Non-Schengen to Schengen.

Normally the queue for Schengen to Non-Schengen is not long as security is done at the gate while when entering the Schengen zone security is done there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.