Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:55 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by johan rebel
AMS-CPH €79.-- This was advertised as a "Super Discount" and "80% off".

Seven seats available, I have an inkling that economy might just be overbooked.

Johan
I always find in curious that on (almost) overbooked flights, they tend to heavily discount the upgrade; yet these are the best opportunities for the OpUp.

It seems like (to me) that when the cabin is empty (no chance of OpUp) they don't want a bit of revenue (like €79); but if the flight is overbooked, they will accept €79, even though refusing the offer still opens up the chance of an OpUp and €0 extra revenue.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I always find in curious that on (almost) overbooked flights, they tend to heavily discount the upgrade; yet these are the best opportunities for the OpUp.

It seems like (to me) that when the cabin is empty (no chance of OpUp) they don't want a bit of revenue (like €79); but if the flight is overbooked, they will accept €79, even though refusing the offer still opens up the chance of an OpUp and €0 extra revenue.
Maybe someone decided that at 129€ they were making money and at 79€ they aren't? Which means when it's overbooked they still try to get money out of it instead of giving it away for free but see no point selling at this price otherwise?

(I don't think the meal cost + potential lounge access cost this much but that's the only explanation I can come up with )
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:33 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Flew ATH-AMS recently. Normally the upgrade is 199 euro, this time 99. Clear indication that the flight was overbooked.

However..during the flight the purser came by for a chat and mentioned that it was a full flight, I said that I expected quite a few OpUps, he checked the ipad and said that there were none. So apparently people do actually purchase these discounted upgrades, and it does bring extra revenue to KLM as they don't have to give it away for free through OpUps.

Of course, 99 euro for the 3.5 hour flight holds a lot more value than 129 euro for AMS-NEU or something similar. But still I am surprised by how many people go for it, as they often don't even manage to fill up two rows of Economy Comfort.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Remember that while overbooked, a flight can go out full without OpUps. People do just not show up, miss connections, etc. -- basically, why the airline overbooks.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: FB plat for life
my experience is that if you buy an upgrade, it typically ends up such a load that I would probably have had an OpUp anyway, whereas if you don't - they do not either - they just find some last lonely loose pax to offer the upgrade. Murphy is involved in KL's yield management me thinks
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Originally Posted by caliform
Remember that while overbooked, a flight can go out full without OpUps.
Originally Posted by pjhartog
my experience is that if you buy an upgrade, it typically ends up such a load that I would probably have had an OpUp anyway
My best guess is that the flight departed with two OpUps (not me), plus a single empty seat in EB.

Priority boarding was properly enforced, but they managed to mess things up when somebody decided interrupt procedings to board prince Henrik (the husband of the queen of Denmark). This was followed by the usual carry-on chaos, and then a wait while the hold luggage of a missing pax was located and offloaded (or not).

Johan
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Sorry wrong forum
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:25 pm

CPT-AMS 339€, flight had J9 C9 D9 I9 Z9 at T-48, at T-24 there were already only 4 J seats available on the seat map, and only a handful in eco.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Sorry, try this link...
https://www.klm.com/bfu/ub/login
Thank you for sharing this.

for info, the link worked for my outbound flight (ams-cur), but it's not working for the inbound flight (cur-ams)
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:29 am

DPS-SIN

At OLCI business class seats are oferered at 80€. Good price?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: Many
Bargain price I would say. Go for it!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Adob
DPS-SIN

At OLCI business class seats are oferered at 80€. Good price?

NO DOUBT!
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:31 pm

AMS - CUR €674 (I reserved an EC seat a while ago for I believe around €70)

J8 C6 D6 I0 Z0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 K9 H9 L9 Q0 T0 E0 N0 R0 V0 G0 X0
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:10 am

AMS-ARN 99€ 3/8 open (J0 Y0, but EC was lightly loaded)
ARN-AMS 99€ 6/8 open at T-24, and offer was removed at some point (J0 Y0, there were 2 available J seats and Y was full indeed, including the occasional travellers who were late to check-in and were therefore seated for free in EC...)
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
Originally Posted by EvD86
NO DOUBT!
Originally Posted by Mirk
Maybe someone decided that at 129€ they were making money and at 79€ they aren't? Which means when it's overbooked they still try to get money out of it instead of giving it away for free but see no point selling at this price otherwise?

(I don't think the meal cost + potential lounge access cost this much but that's the only explanation I can come up with )
The average revenue of these random upgrades is supposed to mount up to 12 Million of Euro a year. Quiet interesting besides all the other paid options.
other while seats would be empty or given out to low yield non revenue/staff pax. additionally passengers seem to be more likely to chose this airline afterwards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.