KLM plane hits Emirates
flight’s tail

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

KLM plane hits Emirates
flight’s tail

"DUBAI — An Emirates flight parked at Khartoum International Airport in Sudan was hit by a passing aircraft on Friday.

The Emirates aircraft suffered minor damage but all passengers on board are safe, an airline spokesperson confirmed.

The incident took place early in the morning when EK743, an airbus A340-500, was getting ready to take off for Dubai. A wing of the passing aircraft, a KLM Airbus A330-200, hit the tail of the Emirates flight and damaged it.

The Emirates spokesperson told Khaleej Times that the incident led to the cancellation of the flight and all passengers and crew were disembarked without any injuries. “Our aircraft was hit by a passing KLM aircraft. But all the passengers and crew are safe, who were accommodated at a hotel in Khartoum overnight and would be flown to Dubai by a replacement plane today.”

The spokesperson said that the company’s technical team is assessing the damage to the aircraft, which looks slight as per the preliminary evidence.

He also apologised to the passengers and their relatives for the inconvenience caused by the incident.

No spokesperson for KLM was available for comments.
"

Source: khaleeejtimes.com

Johan
Old Oct 3, 2010, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN
Sabotage ;-)
Old Oct 3, 2010, 3:39 am

Programs: Skywards, Flying Blue Gold, BA Executive Club, Miles and More, SPG Gold
Worse. The ground controller (i.e. the guy with the bats/lights) misjudged the distance between the two aircraft. It is a very crowded apron at Khartoum. = epic fail.....

It happens every now and then in Khartoum....
Old Oct 3, 2010, 4:08 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Originally Posted by kumrabai
Worse. The ground controller (i.e. the guy with the bats/lights) misjudged the distance between the two aircraft. It is a very crowded apron at Khartoum. = epic fail.....

I got once delayed in Khartoum by 1.5 hr because the pilot took the wrong turn and we ended at a parking area that was pretty full. It was rainy season, Ramadan and the sun just went down - took some time for the ground staff to pull the plane back
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:42 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by NB00
I got once delayed in Khartoum by 1.5 hr because the pilot took the wrong turn and we ended at a parking area that was pretty full. It was rainy season, Ramadan and the sun just went down - took some time for the ground staff to pull the plane back
On KLM???
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:54 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
On KLM???
Yes - KLM to Addis with a stopover in Khartoum . It was a few years ago. The FAs were joking with the pax about it. It was kind of funny. Another time at Khartoum the pilot was handing out pepernoten to some FAs and pax.

Unfortunately KLM now changed the Thursday flight to Ams-Add-Khartoum-Ams. Not as much fun to have that stopover in the middle of the night
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, BMI Gold, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, IC Hotels Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by kumrabai

Not entirely shocking....its a pretty small airport and there are a lot of old / abandoned aircraft lying about too.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
For a while there, I thought "Emiratesflight" must be some new (low-cost?) subsidiary of Emirates...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.