Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meal or no Meal on AMS-BCN in Y?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2010, 9:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Meal or no Meal on AMS-BCN in Y?

I'll be taking my first KLM flight in nine years next month, as the title suggests from AMS to BCN. I'm going to have a very short connection at AMS and if I don't have time to hit the lounge or pick up food, it will be nice to know if there will be food on my flight.

Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Nope... unless you are in C. You will get a drink and a cookie depending on the time,
Old Apr 1, 2010, 2:14 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer
Nope... unless you are in C. You will get a drink and a cookie depending on the time,
On AMS-BCN in Y, KL will serve you with 2 small sandwiches plus drinks. This will be followed by coffee with a biscuit. Whether this qualifies as 'food' is a matter of interpretation.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
That depends on the time of day, actually. I have seen just drinks and a stroopwafel being served back there most of the time, though if you are traveling around (Dutch) meal time you get a little pack that has a sandwich in it. Last time I was in Y on KL the sandwich was butter and chive.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 4:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by alanw
Last time I was in Y on KL the sandwich was butter and chive.

A salt and pepper baguette cannot be far behind...
Old Apr 1, 2010, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ajamieson

A salt and pepper baguette cannot be far behind...
Ah, baguette would be an improvement! It is usually 1 triangle with some sort of weird cheesy thing (mustard, chive, etc) with a bit of butter and 1 triangle weird processed meat (lambloaf, porkloaf, etc) with equally weird mayonnaise. I like the stroopwafel though...
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Ah, baguette would be an improvement! It is usually 1 triangle with some sort of weird cheesy thing (mustard, chive, etc) with a bit of butter and 1 triangle weird processed meat (lambloaf, porkloaf, etc) with equally weird mayonnaise.
The early morning variety is two small round rolls: I have tried to identify and can remember: something resembling scrambled egg; something that could be perceived as cheese with a type of chutney; and a strange variant of cream cheese. The toppings seem to be consistent in strangeness, only the shape may vary.

I like the stroopwafel though...
Hold on, the stroopwafel is no longer standard. On my flights earlier this week I actually got a cookie, heart shaped, shortbread style. My neighbour across the empty middle seat got a stroopwafel though. I was so surprised that I forgot to ask
Old Apr 1, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MichielR
Hold on, the stroopwafel is no longer standard. On my flights earlier this week I actually got a cookie, heart shaped, shortbread style. My neighbour across the empty middle seat got a stroopwafel though. I was so surprised that I forgot to ask
Argh, that's mean! What I know is that in C class to/from NCE (same service) you get an inferior mars mini-sweetie (actually sweetie size, not bar or mini bar size) instead of it! Not nice!

Interesting re-morning. Again from NCE, they tend to do the 'normal' 'Dutch tratoria' stuff either 1 cheese and 1 meat or 1 cheese and 1 jam. I hope the small rounds version is a bit better!
Old Apr 1, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Ah, baguette would be an improvement!
Be careful what you wish for! Considering what KLM offer as the 'Dutch' take on the Italian "Trattoria," then same process applied to the French "Baguette" may be rather ing!

-- Henry
Old Apr 1, 2010, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Henry III
Be careful what you wish for! Considering what KLM offer as the 'Dutch' take on the Italian "Trattoria," then same process applied to the French "Baguette" may be rather ing!

-- Henry
Henry, if the worst comes to the worst, you and now will now be deemed jointly responsible for bringing bad luck upon the KLM travelling masses!!!
Old Apr 1, 2010, 6:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Originally Posted by alanw
That depends on the time of day, actually. I have seen just drinks and a stroopwafel being served back there most of the time, though if you are traveling around (Dutch) meal time you get a little pack that has a sandwich in it. Last time I was in Y on KL the sandwich was butter and chive.
It's a 6:55 AM flight. I'm going to assume that's around a Dutch breakfast time.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 3:07 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
Originally Posted by MichielR
They must have had one of the last stroopwafels. The flight attendant on my flight last week told me the stroopwafel factory went bankrupt.

On Ams-FCO-AMS there are always sandwiches, whatever time you fly. Maybe it has to do with length of flight (under ## minutes only cookies are served)?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by NB00
They must have had one of the last stroopwafels. The flight attendant on my flight last week told me the stroopwafel factory went bankrupt.
What a sad day for the Dutch.

What happened first though: the bankrupcy or the change in procurement at KLM?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NB00
the stroopwafel factory went bankrupt.
The one and only stroopwafel factory in the whole wide world?

(Not that I care, stroopwafels belong in the "inedible" category in my opinion).

Johan
Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:19 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
The one and only stroopwafel factory in the whole wide world?

(Not that I care, stroopwafels belong in the "inedible" category in my opinion).

Johan
You should try a freshly made one some time, utterly delicious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.