Wiki Posts
Search

Can you standby for an earlier flight?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Question Can you standby for an earlier flight?

So have a long layover, that I'm not so interested in anymore...can one standby for an earlier flight without paying the change fee? It's AMS-HAM...
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:33 am

They've put me on an earlier flight to BRS when flying back from YUL a few times with no charge, only with hand baggage though. If I'd had checked luggage I'd have had no chance
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:30 am

As a general rule, the concept of standing by for an earlier flight doesn't exist in Europe.

If you're on a flexible ticket you can change your reservation to a different flight.

If you're on a non-flexible ticket you have to travel as booked.

Very very occasionally, if they're feeling generous or if a later flight is overbooked, airlines may put you on an earlier flight if you ask them nicely - but it's rare.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA EXP
I have never had a problem standing by for an earlier flight on KLM out of AMS. The lounge agents will never confirm me, but I just ask politely at the gate toward the end of boarding when the gate agents aren't so busy and have never had a problem getting on board the earlier flight. A couple of times this year, the gate agent was worried there wouldn't be a meal for me, but I just explain I don't need one and they let me one. Coming from the US, it's unheard of to have a meal on 90 minute flight anyway!
Old Nov 15, 2009, 5:39 pm

Programs: KLM FB plat / Hertz Pres Circle / AB EB Gold
On more than 10 occasions this year on intra-european fights ex ams, i took the earlier same day flight. I was ALWAYS charged!

1. change fee according ticket rules
2. admin fee
3. credit card fee.

or simply not allowed at all. so I had to buy new ticket.

Mainly travel on E/Q/H classes.

So I am very very surprised that you are able to standby for earlier flight WITHOUT having to pay the change fee.

i always receive the standard klm answer: 1. sorry sir that is not possible or 2. the computer does not allow me. 3. we cannot start this practise.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Thanks...thankfully my plans have changed and won't be having this longer layover....I was worried I would continue to have the "It is not possible" mantra....
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA EXP
Originally Posted by ben20
On more than 10 occasions this year on intra-european fights ex ams, i took the earlier same day flight. I was ALWAYS charged!

1. change fee according ticket rules
2. admin fee
3. credit card fee.

or simply not allowed at all. so I had to buy new ticket.

Mainly travel on E/Q/H classes.

So I am very very surprised that you are able to standby for earlier flight WITHOUT having to pay the change fee.

i always receive the standard klm answer: 1. sorry sir that is not possible or 2. the computer does not allow me. 3. we cannot start this practise.
That's what they always tell me at the lounge, but I guess I've been lucky at the gate. I've done it 5 times this year w/o a problem at the gate other than the gate agent's concern about catering. I'm not positive on fare classes, but I think 3 were on Z (discount paid business) and 2 were on upgraded from higher (but not refundable) coach fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.