Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying for coffee at business class lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2009, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FBGold - and that's about it nowadays, with Silver to come shortly :<(
Paying for coffee at business class lounges? + Note to mods

From this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...y-airport.html it appears that pax have to pay for coffee at the lounge in MEX.

I have never heard of this before. Are there other ST C lounges where you have to pay for coffee?

I should clarify that it seems that the lounge in use currently at MEX T1 is not ST's, as it is borrowed use while the Aeromexico lounge is being constructed or refurbished. Nonetheless, it is not the fault of pax that is happening, and I would not normally expect to pay for coffee at an ST lounge, so would not expect it if I have to use a different lounge because of operational reasons.

Note to moderators: The link given in this post is in the FB section, and that thread should probably be here or in AF as it has nothing to do with FB really.

Last edited by brian1042; Nov 12, 2009 at 7:28 pm
Old Nov 12, 2009, 8:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, bmi, LH, UA, DL, AS, WN, AA, VX
If I am not mistaken the old Aeromexico/ST lounge is being renovated and ST uses the AMEX lounge? If so, the paying for coffee would make sense, the lounge operator doesn't have to change its policies for ST, especially if it is a temp agreement. In MEX I would do whatever possible to get to the Mexicana lounge upstairs, it is one of the top 2 or 3 I have seen in the world. The AA Ad Club is there as well, it is nothing if not really large.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FBGold - and that's about it nowadays, with Silver to come shortly :<(
Originally Posted by Fly Upstairs
If I am not mistaken the old Aeromexico/ST lounge is being renovated and ST uses the AMEX lounge? If so, the paying for coffee would make sense, the lounge operator doesn't have to change its policies for ST, especially if it is a temp agreement. In MEX I would do whatever possible to get to the Mexicana lounge upstairs, it is one of the top 2 or 3 I have seen in the world. The AA Ad Club is there as well, it is nothing if not really large.
Yes, I believe it is the AMEX lounge.

I can see your point of view about the lounge provider, but I also think that it is reasonable for a C class passenger to expect what would normally be provided without cost. That is not the fault of the lounge, but the fault of AF/KL who should make sure that their C pax are provided for by making the arrangements with the lounge. This could easily be done by the issue of vouchers for example, and I have experienced this before. That avoids any change of lounge policy and avoids pax being put out because of operational decisions by the airline.

Is the Mexicana lounge at T1? If KL are offering the AMEX lounge, I guess I could only get in the Mexicana lounge by paying? I can try and blag it, but I doubt I'll manage to get in if there is no arrangement in place.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 1:53 am

Programs: SEN, Platinum Ambassador PC
Brian1042

I just have a pictures from the table food that KLM & AF ofert at the AMEX Lounge at Mexico City, but I dont know how to put here becuse I am not so expert in informatic but I want to show you these pictures from these lounge.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brian1042
I guess I could only get in the Mexicana lounge by paying?
Or by flying another airline!

Johan
Old Nov 13, 2009, 3:06 am

Programs: KLM FB plat / Hertz Pres Circle / AB EB Gold
What about the United airlines lounge at mex , which was always used in the past? don't we get access to that one anymore?
Old Nov 14, 2009, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

The specific case of the lounge at MEX is discussed here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...y-airport.html.

Going back my original post, does anyone know of having to pay for coffee in a business lounge elsewhere?

Last edited by brian1042; Nov 14, 2009 at 6:24 am
Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Going back my original post, does anyone know of having to pay for coffee in a business lounge elsewhere?
The very concept is shocking. However, I have noticed that Champagne (and other top-shelf drinks) have to be paid for in CO President's Clubs. Fortunately, I generally drink Bloody Maries when I'm travelling.

-- Henry
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue, bmi, LH, UA, DL, AS, WN, AA, VX
I have seen that AA makes you pay for alcoholic drinks, and that does so sporadically at CO PC's, but I think drinks are free everywhere else (never been in a US lounge). Coffee/tea SHOULD always be free, but in the travel world we are in, who knows.

Priority Pass will get you in the Mexicana lounge at MEX as well.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
The dump of a contract lounge in BEG operates a voucher system, IIRC.

You get one drink and one snack (brought to your table by the surly waiter from the adjoining cafeteria). Not sure what happens if you want a second helping. I imagine you'd have to pay for it, but I suspect that hypothesis has never been tested.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_rich
The dump of a contract lounge in BEG operates a voucher system, IIRC.

You get one drink and one snack (brought to your table by the surly waiter from the adjoining cafeteria). Not sure what happens if you want a second helping. I imagine you'd have to pay for it, but I suspect that hypothesis has never been tested.
Thanks Rich.

It appears that no one has experienced having to pay for coffee in a C lounge? No one has owned up. Is MEX the thin end of the wedge? This probably seems really trivial with all else that is going on, but, my experience is that it is these small things that are overlooked. Maybe these can be challenged but are not, and they gradually become the norm? In the meantine, we are preoccupied with the 'big' things that we actually have no hope of changing, and 'beneath our feet' things that affect us on a day to day basis are erroded.

I suspect no one else ageees or cares, as there have been so few responses. I shall therefore lick my wounds on this one, drink my free alcoholic beverages at the lounge (I do not drink coffee, and certainly would not drink tea unless it were made properly), and watch my friends suffer as they pay for coffee :>)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.