Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China-Europe in WBC: CTU on a 772 or PVG on a 744?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, BA Gold, UA Gold
China-Europe in WBC: Ex-CTU on a 772 or PVG on a 744?

Dear all,

I will soon be flying from China to Europe in KLM WBC and have the option of flying either from CTU on a 772 or PVG on a 744. I've only flown KLM WBC once before, on a 772, I believe, on AMS-IAD and thought it was quite decent. No experience of KLM's 747s.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether I should prefer one over the other? According to the Aircraft and Seating Guide, the 772 has more recline than the 744—are the 772 seats indeed better? Or does the 772 feel more cramped due to the 2-3-2 layout vs. the 744’s 2-2-2? Is service perhaps likely to be better on the more competitive PVG route? Does anyone have experience of the lounge facilities at CTU?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by parsifal; Nov 16, 2009 at 12:15 am
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:30 am

Programs: OZ G; FB G; HHonors Gold;
I will go for 772!

744 is just too old and nothing special.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wavyfly
I will go for 772! 744 is just too old and nothing special.

Johan
Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:12 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Does the 772 really have more recline?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: FB Platinum
I've flown both services. It's down to a number of factors:

1) The 772 is considerably newer than the 744, in fact the 772s I flew AMS-CTU-AMS several times in 2008 seemed very new indeed

2) Can you snag an upper deck seat on 744? If not I would definitely say 772

3) Where are you travelling from in China? CTU-AMS is shorter than PVG-AMS but it depends where you are starting from. If anywhere other than Shanghai, thereby requiring travel to PVG, I would go to CTU instead.

4) Lounges are similar. OK but nothing special.

5) CTU handles far fewer international flights so usually the exit processing is a bit quicker than PVG (which if you hit a busy time can be an hour)

If you go for CTU make sure you avoid the middle seat which, unless you are in a front row (with the extra legroom) can feel a bit "hemmed in"

nickyboy
Old Nov 18, 2009, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold, BA Gold, UA Gold
Thanks for your insights. I'm leaving from PEK—promoawards are for some reason only available ex-CTU and PVG. Guess government C traffic to/from PEK is holding up better than mainly corporate C traffic to the other two destinations.

I decided to go with CTU—flight should be somewhat shorter and if the aircraft are newer and exit procedures potentially quicker, that's a bonus. I'm not really in a hurry, so saving 40K miles and my ticket to CTU is only about $90.

For some reason, though, the FB website didn't allow me to select a seat on the CTU-AMS segment, only on the AMS-CPH one. Can't select a seat on the KLM website either. Have they stopped allowing advance seat assignment for award tickets? Guess I'll try calling KLM and ask for one—wouldn't want to end up in a middle seat.

Thanks again. ^
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nickyboy
The 772 is considerably newer than the 744,
True, but if anything, that's to the 744's advantage. Both aircraft have exactly the same type of seats and IFE, but the 744 was designed and built in a different age. Two smaller WBC cabins make for an altogether better experience. Better lavatory to pax ratio; better FA to pax ratio; easier access to lavatories, magazines, newspapers, SnackBreak basket; and most important of all, the 744 has a number of seats (77ABJK, 4EF) that are far superior to anything the 772 has to offer.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
Originally Posted by johan rebel
True, but if anything, that's to the 744's advantage. Both aircraft have exactly the same type of seats and IFE, but the 744 was designed and built in a different age. Two smaller WBC cabins make for an altogether better experience. Better lavatory to pax ratio; better FA to pax ratio; easier access to lavatories, magazines, newspapers, SnackBreak basket; and most important of all, the 744 has a number of seats (77ABJK, 4EF) that are far superior to anything the 772 has to offer.
Fully agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.