Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Enhanced Legroom - Not great recline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2008, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA/VS/EK

I just finished a round trip from sfo - nyc in row 2 and have to say the legroom is really great. I'm 6'2 and the legroom was better than I ever could have imagined in economy class. In combination with the outstanding service from the crew, and directv, it puts any other economy class product to shame.

The funny thing is, I did not find the seats to be that much more comfortable because the seat recline was so minimal. I had not noticed this in my prior flights, but with a seat that only reclines a few inches, the comfort greatly suffered.

I wonder why, with the extra space between rows, why Jetblue did not allow the seats to recline even just a bit more than normal. It certainly would not cause the "seat in face" effect that is so common when the person reclines in front of you since the spacing is so generous now. It really would help quite a bit, especially on those overnight flights

Just my 2 cents....
Old May 13, 2008, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 1K, DL Gold Medallion, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by SFOPremex
I just finished a round trip from sfo - nyc in row 2 and have to say the legroom is really great. I'm 6'2 and the legroom was better than I ever could have imagined in economy class. In combination with the outstanding service from the crew, and directv, it puts any other economy class product to shame.

The funny thing is, I did not find the seats to be that much more comfortable because the seat recline was so minimal. I had not noticed this in my prior flights, but with a seat that only reclines a few inches, the comfort greatly suffered.

I wonder why, with the extra space between rows, why Jetblue did not allow the seats to recline even just a bit more than normal. It certainly would not cause the "seat in face" effect that is so common when the person reclines in front of you since the spacing is so generous now. It really would help quite a bit, especially on those overnight flights

Just my 2 cents....
I agree, though I think that row 5 would necessarily have to recline less than 2, 3, and 4, since row 6 would become the least desirable on the plane if row 5 reclined as much as the others!

another thing is that they need to make the tray tables extend-able in 2-5 now -- on my recent r/t between JFK and PDX, it was somewhat annoying to have to keep leaning forward to rest my book on the tray table! although not a giant, i am average-tall (5'11"), so I think anyone shorter than me would have the same complaint.
Old May 13, 2008, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What SFOPremex said. ^

I was about to start the exact same thread after my last JFK-OAK transcon in EML, which was also my first flight on jetBlue.

The seats are comfy, and the legroom is great, but the recline just sucks!

The seat goes back less than any other domestic Y seat that I've ever sat in. Why is this, jetBlue?
Old May 14, 2008, 6:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nerd
What SFOPremex said. ^

I was about to start the exact same thread after my last JFK-OAK transcon in EML, which was also my first flight on jetBlue.

The seats are comfy, and the legroom is great, but the recline just sucks!

The seat goes back less than any other domestic Y seat that I've ever sat in. Why is this, jetBlue?
Good, good, good, good, good!

I hate when people recline back into me. I want my space (yes even in the EML seats. Don't change JB don't change.
Old May 14, 2008, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Long Distance

I hate when people recline back into me. I want my space (yes even in the EML seats. Don't change JB don't change.
And I want my recline. Especially with 38" of seat pitch.
Old May 14, 2008, 9:07 am

I'm wondering, these are the same exact seats as used in the previous seating configuration, just slid around a bit, right? I guess 38" of pitch was never anticipated, so the seats aren't designed to recline to take advantage of the new space.
Old May 14, 2008, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by somedude24
I'm wondering, these are the same exact seats as used in the previous seating configuration, just slid around a bit, right? I guess 38" of pitch was never anticipated, so the seats aren't designed to recline to take advantage of the new space.
But the seats recline even less than your standard 31" pitch seat on other airplanes.
Old May 14, 2008, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA/VS/EK
When United wanted to "upgrade" their business class back in 2000, they kept the the same seat and modified its recline (nearly flat) and height of leg rest.

From discussions I had with their ground crews, it sounded like a very easy tweak to just allow the seat to recline further. Either the existing hinge had the range of recline already there (and the orig seat position did not allow a deeper recline due to 40" seat pitch), or they swapped out the hinges on each seat. I do know that they updated their whole fleet of long haul aircract within a very short amount of time.

I can't imagine that the seats jetblue uses have a hinge that only allows a 2-3 inch recline without any further recline available through manual adjustment. The exit row window seats don't recline, so they have some sort of a different hinge, or a manually operated setting to keep the seat upright at all times.
Old May 14, 2008, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by nerd
But the seats recline even less than your standard 31" pitch seat on other airplanes.
Ouch. I agree that something should be done about this. Another theory: Do you think maybe recline is limited so as not to affect the TV-viewing experience of the passenger behind you?
Old May 14, 2008, 6:36 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by somedude24
Ouch. I agree that something should be done about this. Another theory: Do you think maybe recline is limited so as not to affect the TV-viewing experience of the passenger behind you?
The TVs are moveable so it shouldn't be a TV issue. Maybe something you guys should bring up when you go on the tour! Let the representatives from FSC hear your concerns. I don't know how the seat recline works but something might be able to be adjusted or it might be a limitation of the seat itself.
Old May 15, 2008, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Is it just me, or does "enhanced leg room" not automatically equate to "enhanced recline"?

If the passenger is getting enhanced leg room, the point is rather nullified by someone being able to lounge into a greater portion of it by reclining?
Old May 21, 2008, 2:49 pm

Reclining is Rude and invasive

Originally Posted by Long Distance

Yeah, they were just not raised to be polite and stay out of other peoples space.

The lack of recline is the primary reason I fly JB when possible
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:55 am

Thank God!

Sounds like a good way to keep me as a customer. I hate being reclined on! I'd be a loyal customer for life to any airline that disabled it altogether.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by helenasue
Sounds like a good way to keep me as a customer. I hate being reclined on! I'd be a loyal customer for life to any airline that disabled it altogether.
+1. I'd add that I never recline my seat either out of consideration for the person behind me, unless the person in front of me reclines their seat into my face.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.