FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   24 Hour Cancellation Policy? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/752433-24-hour-cancellation-policy.html)

ddarko Nov 1, 2007 10:17 am

24 Hour Cancellation Policy?

Has anyone recently been able to cancel their reservation within 24 hours of booking without penalty? Many airlines offer this option and it's been reported here by other posters and in the New York Times that JetBlue is one of them but I tried today and the rep and supervisor I spoke with both said JetBlue does not have the option. Has JetBlue dropped the policy?

http://travel.nytimes.com/2005/12/25...=1&oref=slogin

dinosims Nov 1, 2007 10:49 am

Hmm, I've never heard of this policy on JetBlue, but looking at the article, it looks pretty legit (NYTimes, quote from Todd Burke, a whole couple of paragraphs on B6....).

Actually, just looked at the date of the article (December 25, 2005), and I guess it's possible that the policy's been dropped :-/

You can always cancel online and get the money back into a credit to be used on B6 within one year (minus $35 fee)...

ddarko Nov 1, 2007 11:06 am

Yes, I also saw the NYT article was almost two years old and a lot could change by then. But I just found this article from February 2007 in Travel and Leisure that also says JetBlue offers 24 hour refunds.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...o-know/?page=3

I know I can cancel and get credit but obviously, it's not the same as getting your money back. I wish JetBlue would get its story straight.

nsx Nov 1, 2007 11:11 am

I used it once about 2 years ago. You have to phone for the refund; it cannot be done online. But the phone staff is fully aware of the option.

Different airlines do this differently, but most allow refunds for 24 hours if you bought the ticket online. Southwest's web site automatically offers you a refund option when cancelling within 24 hours of purchase. (Note: This is misleading if you re-used prior nonrefundable ticketless funds for the purchase, because those will not be refunded.)

ddarko Nov 1, 2007 11:16 am

I bought my ticket online Monday night and I phoned in, spoke with both a regular customer rep and then a supervisor and both said no such policy existed. The supervisor said that she had worked for JetBlue for six years and JetBlue had never had such a policy during that time. I don't doubt their honesty but it is frustrating; if the supervisor doesn't know about the policy, it may as well not exist. The fault really is JetBlue's for being so secretive about this policy that even some of their own personnel are unaware of it. It's a crapshot when you call if you're going to get someone who knows about the policy. And there's only so many 15-minute holds I can do per day.

nsx Nov 1, 2007 11:27 am

Originally Posted by ddarko (Post 8659346)
The supervisor said that she had worked for JetBlue for six years and JetBlue had never had such a policy during that time. I don't doubt their honesty but it is frustrating; if the supervisor doesn't know about the policy, it may as well not exist.

I'm stunned. Time for the JetBlue lurkers to fire off an internal memo suggesting training on this policy. Accuracy is crucial because the 24-hour timeframe for cancellation is strict, and the clock is ticking. If the customer is denied the refund there will likely be no way that he can prove later that he requested it within the 24 hours and was denied.

ddarko Nov 1, 2007 11:38 am

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 8659420)
I'm stunned. Time for the JetBlue lurkers to fire off an internal memo suggesting training on this policy. Accuracy is crucial because the 24-hour timeframe for cancellation is strict, and the clock is ticking. If the customer is denied the refund there will likely be no way that he can prove later that he requested it within the 24 hours and was denied.

Unfortunately, this is exactly the spot I'm in. I made several futile attempts to reach a rep who knows about this option within the 24 hour period. Now I'm outside the window. I am going to try once more, hopefully find someone who knows and then appeal to their sense of justice and allow me to get a refund outside the window.

sbm12 Nov 1, 2007 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by ddarko (Post 8659506)
Unfortunately, this is exactly the spot I'm in. I made several futile attempts to reach a rep who knows about this option within the 24 hour period. Now I'm outside the window. I am going to try once more, hopefully find someone who knows and then appeal to their sense of justice and allow me to get a refund outside the window.

Just dispute the charge with your CC company. Way less stress and you don't have to worry about finding someone who knows the policy.

ddarko Nov 1, 2007 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 8659810)
Just dispute the charge with your CC company. Way less stress and you don't have to worry about finding someone who knows the policy.

I've spoken to 3 sets of rep/supervisor, all of whom denied JetBlue has or ever had in the past, a 24 hour cancellation policy. I hesitate to dispute the charge; after all, I did authorize the purchase and if in fact JetBlue doesn't extend this courtesy any more, then there's no grounds for dispute. What bothers me is that all the JetBlue people said the airline NEVER had a 24-hour cancellation window when obviously, some people like this forum's moderator have been able to cancel in the past and the New York Times article even quotes a JetBlue spokesman confirming the policy! So I don't know what to think except JetBlue training has some holes.

sbm12 Nov 1, 2007 3:01 pm

The CC company will actually listen when you show them documentation about the policy, even if the vendor CSRs don't. That's why I'd go that route.

nsx Nov 1, 2007 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 8660996)
The CC company will actually listen when you show them documentation about the policy

I've never seen any documentation on it. It might be an undocumented feature, which would in turn partially explain the lack of knowledge among the staff.

ddarko Nov 1, 2007 5:07 pm

JetBlue Does Not Have 24 Hour Grace Period - Received Call From JetBlue Rep

Well, I emailed JetBlue this afternoon through their site asking whether this policy existed. To my surprise, I got a call about an hour ago from a JetBlue rep. She said that JetBlue does not have a 24-hour cancellation policy anymore. She had read the links to the New York Times and Travel and Leisure articles that I included in my email and she said that JetBlue may have had the policy at the time the New York Times article was written but that it definitely did not by February 2007, when Travel and Leisure published its article. She said T&L got it wrong. So it seems like JetBlue no longer offers a 24-hour grace period after purchase. Another nice courtesy bites the dust.

craz Nov 1, 2007 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by ddarko (Post 8661741)
Well, I emailed JetBlue this afternoon through their site asking whether this policy existed. To my surprise, I got a call about an hour ago from a JetBlue rep. She said that JetBlue does not have a 24-hour cancellation policy anymore. She had read the links to the New York Times and Travel and Leisure articles that I included in my email and she said that JetBlue may have had the policy at the time the New York Times article was written but that it definitely did not by February 2007, when Travel and Leisure published its article. She said T&L got it wrong. So it seems like JetBlue no longer offers a 24-hour grace period after purchase. Another nice courtesy bites the dust.

Thanks for the follow up.

It doesnt help you, but that was very nice of that JB Rep to have called you and actually read the articles you sent along, and then Unfortunately inform you that it use to be the policy and that T&L got it wrong.

Maybe you should email T&L so that they can set the record straight so no one else gets caught on their misinformation in their article.

ddarko Nov 1, 2007 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 8662073)
Thanks for the follow up.

It doesnt help you, but that was very nice of that JB Rep to have called you and actually read the articles you sent along, and then Unfortunately inform you that it use to be the policy and that T&L got it wrong.

Maybe you should email T&L so that they can set the record straight so no one else gets caught on their misinformation in their article.

Yes, all the many JetBlue people I spoke with today have been very courteous and sympathetic, even though what they were telling me was obviously not what I wanted to hear. It's a shame the airline got rid of the policy. Seems a bit strange when many other airlines still offer it (unless many of those airlines have also dropped the policy but word hasn't gotten out yet...)

I did send an email to T&L asking it to check the source of its info before I got the call from the JetBlue rep. Hopefully, the magazine will follow up with JetBlue and print a correction.

bworrell May 6, 2010 9:27 am

I just wanted to check with everyone on this policy. Is there still no 24 hour cancellation policy on JetBlue?

They've lost a lot of possible bookings from me because of this, so I thought I should check and make sure my information is correct before I keep avoiding them.