Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue Planning Additional Terminal and Expansion at JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

Given B6's growth in New York and all the talk about increased international flying, this makes a lot of sense.

Considering how much effort JetBlue has put into designing a friendly T5, this could be even more of a game changer.

JetBlue to Expand Dramatically at JFK with Second Terminal
JetBlue Airways announced plans Friday to expand its presence at John F. Kennedy International Airport through the development of a new and additional terminal.

The New York-based airline released a Request for Qualifications Friday seeking companies to develop the former Terminal 6 site at the airport and possibly the current Terminal 7 site for its use...

<SNIP>
This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:39 am

I find T5 to be the nicest terminal in JFK. At present time, # of slots is the major limiting factor to further B6 expansion, but maybe gate will be that way in the future. Either way, good to see B6 invest in more terminal space.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: TrueBlue, Hyatt
Originally Posted by tphuang
I find T5 to be the nicest terminal in JFK. At present time, # of slots is the major limiting factor to further B6 expansion, but maybe gate will be that way in the future. Either way, good to see B6 invest in more terminal space.
Agreed, not surprised to hear this given the route expansion rumors lately. But in order for any of it to happen, they're going to have get more slots at JFK which could be rough
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Yes, they will have more room for international flights out of JFK. Right now, they don't have new slots available during at that time. Too many aircraft are awaited for takeoff.

Originally Posted by Intheair2night
Agreed, not surprised to hear this given the route expansion rumors lately. But in order for any of it to happen, they're going to have get more slots at JFK which could be rough
I don't think it's happening anytime soon. No new slots available. Due to slot controlled. Too many aircraft are awaited for takeoff. JFK is not an option.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
I suspect that they will be offering gates to more international airlines. That way they can expand their international presence via codeshares and alliances.

From the article:
In addition to the development of the Terminal 6 and possibly the Terminal 7 site, the project would include new international gates for JetBlue and partner airlines, a landside and an airside connector to JetBlue’s existing terminal at JFK, Terminal 5, and new roadways that would allow greater access to the new facilities.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
I think some of the expanded terminal will be used by B6 partners. I could see Icelandair, El Al, and TAP move into T5/T6 with them. I would also say the ME3, but I don't see them building A380 capable gates at T5/T6. The 330 (TAP), 757 (Icelandair), and 787 (replacing the 747s for El Al within the next few years) should all be able to fit.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:41 pm

Jetblue's bid got accepted. Looks like they are the winner here alongside the current T1 operator. Not surprised that AA got nothing out of this with their current lack of focus in NYC. Delta will probably have all of T4 now with a couple of partners like VS and AM.

The new south terminal is going to look pretty amazing with 22 wide body gates. I'm going to enjoy flying out of there. And new North terminal (T5 to 7) is going to add 12 wide body gates or (19 narrow body gates) on top of the 29 they have in T5.
https://ny.curbed.com/2018/10/4/1793...omo-renderings

Will be interesting to see what happens to slot restriction.

here is the link about fixing runway and adding "high-speed" taxiway, which might ease slot restriction when completed.
https://ny.curbed.com/2018/9/28/1791...-speed-taxiway

The 10,000-foot-long runway, called runway 13L and 13R since they run east and west on the airport’s north side, handles nearly half of JFK’s arriving planes and is set to receive upgrades that will make it more durable and increase its lifespan. It will shutter in April 2019 and is expected to reopen in late 2019.

As for the new taxiway, it is anticipated to save passengers roughly 1,000 hours annually in delays and “taxiing time,” saving airlines and passengers a projected $9 million.
Sinter, bmg42000 and RWPrincess like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
JFK expansion

Jetblue's bid got accepted. Looks like they are the winner here alongside the current T1 operator. Not surprised that AA got nothing out of this with their current lack of focus in NYC. Delta will probably have all of T4 now with a couple of partners like VS and AM.

The new south terminal is going to look pretty amazing with 22 wide body gates. I'm going to enjoy flying out of there. And new North terminal (T5 to 7) is going to add 12 wide body gates or (19 narrow body gates) on top of the 29 they have in T5.
https://ny.curbed.com/2018/10/4/1793...omo-renderings

here is the link about fixing runway and adding "high-speed" taxiway, which might ease slot restriction when completed.

The 10,000-foot-long runway, called runway 13L and 13R since they run east and west on the airport’s north side, handles nearly half of JFK’s arriving planes and is set to receive upgrades that will make it more durable and increase its lifespan. It will shutter in April 2019 and is expected to reopen in late 2019.

As for the new taxiway, it is anticipated to save passengers roughly 1,000 hours annually in delays and “taxiing time,” saving airlines and passengers a projected $9 million.
I will believe this when it is done in 2025. I have seen plenty of proposals to redo JFK so I will believe it when its done.
They have been working on the Van Wyck expansion for a very long time now. Proposals seem nice but I will believe it when completed.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Jetblue's bid got accepted.
But still needs to be approved by the PANYNJ Board of Governors IIRC

Unlikely this changes the number of flights that can regularly be handled. Taxiways aren't the issue so much as the congested air space around the airport.
The 10,000-foot-long runway, called runway 13L and 13R ...
13L and 13R are two different runways and only one of them - 13L/31R - is 10,000 feet long and on the North side of the field. The other, 13R/31L aka the Bay Runway because it abuts Jamaica Bay is 14,500 feet and was recently resurfaced. .

http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1810/00610AD.PDF
jinglish likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by bmg42000
I will believe this when it is done in 2025. I have seen plenty of proposals to redo JFK so I will believe it when its done.
They have been working on the Van Wyck expansion for a very long time now. Proposals seem nice but I will believe it when completed.
Cuomo wants the political credit for this. He is very ambitious guy. If LGA project can get this far along, I don't see why JFK cannot.

Not sure about Van Wyck, but I think the private money on the terminals will have plenty of push to get started on time.

Originally Posted by sbm12
But still needs to be approved by the PANYNJ Board of Governors IIRC
Cuomo doesn't see like a guy that will get denied.
Unlikely this changes the number of flights that can regularly be handled. Taxiways aren't the issue so much as the congested air space around the airport.

13L and 13R are two different runways and only one of them - 13L/31R - is 10,000 feet long and on the North side of the field. The other, 13R/31L aka the Bay Runway because it abuts Jamaica Bay is 14,500 feet and was recently resurfaced. .

http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1810/00610AD.PDF
I'm simply copying and pasting a link that said there is work been done to the taxiway. The rumor going around is that slots might go away in a year or two.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm simply copying and pasting a link that said there is work been done to the taxiway.
You really should use quote marks when quoting someone. Also, it is still incorrect.
The rumor going around is that slots might go away in a year or two.
I'll take that bet. Very, very, very, very unlikely to happen in the next couple years.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
You really should use quote marks when quoting someone. Also, it is still incorrect.

I'll take that bet. Very, very, very, very unlikely to happen in the next couple years.
I honestly have no idea what is your problem with me. You are being deliberately antagonizing to me. And it's not just this thread

Last edited by tphuang; Oct 11, 2018 at 7:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.