Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Planes take off half empty due to wind?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott

This is a new one for me. My parents and relatives were on a flight from Burbank Airport to JFK but only half the passengers were allowed to get on the plane because of a combination of wind and a short runway. They also only loaded the plane with half the fuel and had to stop in Phoenix to refuel before proceeding to JFK.

Does this happen often at Burbank? It's actually the first time I've heard of it from all these years of flying. Although I usually fly out of LAX. Maybe that's why.

Oops. I meant to post this in the travel and safety section but it got into this section
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:32 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
What did they do with the folks who couldn't get on the plane?

You'll see another thread here in the JetBlue forum discussing this that was bumped in the past day or two
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BUR-JFK is at the operational limits of the airport in light of BUR's short runways which limit takeoff weight and thus fuel.

When the prevailing winds are not as great as they usually are, something has to give. In this case, it must have been a lot in order to require off-loading 50% of an aircraft AND adding a fuel diversion.

It's also possible that there were known weather issues aloft which would require a less direct route and that added to the mess.

Perhaps out of LAX one or the other would not have been necessary, but perhaps not.

This is why the AA non-stop to LAX won't push from the gate or holds and shuts down its engines until it has a clear path to departure, so that it can top off rather than burning fuel on a taxiway. Short runways at DCA mean that the operational limits are stretched.

The alternative is to abandon the route or build longer runways. Given that it's infrequent, I'll vote for the rare inconvenience.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:55 pm

I ran into this situation once in Burbank on some type of regional jet on a much shorter flight (PDX). It was a combination of wind direction, runway length, and required climb performance to fly the DP (departure procedure).

A strong headwind is going to improve aircraft performance and decrease the amount of runway required.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: ba silver
Does IDB compensation apply in this case for passengers who had confirmed reservations and who showed up at the gate on time?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
Does IDB compensation apply in this case for passengers who had confirmed reservations and who showed up at the gate on time?
No. Regulations allow for circumstances like this. Happens at Denver as well, since they're hot and high.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by diburning
No. Regulations allow for circumstances like this. Happens at Denver as well, since they're hot and high.
Whoa, heavens to betsy!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by diburning
No. Regulations allow for circumstances like this.
That's flat wrong. The exemption for weight and balance only applies to aircraft with 60 seats or less

14 CFR 250.6
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
You're right, I forgot about that detail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.