Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jet Blue 2323 Flight Cancellation Saga :(

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K

Hi All,

I was booked on Jet Blue 2323 on an E190 yesterday that had a mechanical issue during taxi, where we were sent back to the gate and deplaned. We ended up waiting at the gate for 3 hours, watching the next Jet Blue flight to Orlando leave until they decided to cancel the flight. The agents weren't able to accommodate anyone on any other Jet Blue flights that day, even as we saw the next flight, JB 1023 leave. Granted, 1023 was full. The next flight option was for Friday at 6:00PM. I couldn't do that one since I'm meeting with family for a weekend at Harry Potter World. I ultimately decided to book a United (boo) flight from Dulles to MCO arriving at around 1AM, all the other flights on other carriers had sold out! I spent an additional $245 for the last minute ticket, plus $65 for a taxi from DCA to Dulles, on top of my $110 Jet Blue ticket. Do I have any options of recourse with JetBlue for the IRROPs? The gate agent cancelled my ticket and said I would get a full refund, but is there any way to get compensation for the new ticket costs plus the inconvenience? Has anyone experienced anything similar? I already emailed JetBlue Customer relations, so we'll see if I get a response.

Thanks for your help everyone!
-Jason
Old May 19, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: AGR Select Exec, MR Plat, B6 Mosaic, UA Silver
Jason - I'm sorry to hear this happened to you.

JetBlue has a specific Customer Bill of Rights that clearly outlines what you are entitled to: https://mobile.jetblue.com/mt/www.je...er-protection/

All customers whose flight is cancelled by JetBlue will, at the customer's option:

Receive a full refund
OR
Receive re-accommodation on the next available JetBlue flight at no additional charge or fare.

If JetBlue cancels a flight within four hours of scheduled departure and the cancellation is due to a Controllable Irregularity, JetBlue will also issue the customer a $50 Credit good for future travel on JetBlue.

You mentioned you were also delayed - that is also covered in the CBoR so you may recieve additional compensation from B6 for that, too. You've already reached out CS so they should take it from there.

In my experience, when I've been delayed on B6 they generally are proactive about crediting my Travel Bank within a couple of days of the delay.

Keep us posted with your experience - you can also tweet their CS team as they are quite responsive.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks OEBB!
This is helpful, I got a robo email saying they've refunded my ticket and deposited $150 in my travel bank, should I expect anything more from Customer care? Still having a great time in FL though, and it made for a great story, plus I got to use my priority pass lounge pass at the Turkish Airlines club in Dulles highly recommended!
Originally Posted by OEBB
Jason - I'm sorry to hear this happened to you.

JetBlue has a specific Customer Bill of Rights that clearly outlines what you are entitled to: https://mobile.jetblue.com/mt/www.je...er-protection/

All customers whose flight is cancelled by JetBlue will, at the customer's option:

Receive a full refund
OR
Receive re-accommodation on the next available JetBlue flight at no additional charge or fare.

If JetBlue cancels a flight within four hours of scheduled departure and the cancellation is due to a Controllable Irregularity, JetBlue will also issue the customer a $50 Credit good for future travel on JetBlue.

You mentioned you were also delayed - that is also covered in the CBoR so you may recieve additional compensation from B6 for that, too. You've already reached out CS so they should take it from there.

In my experience, when I've been delayed on B6 they generally are proactive about crediting my Travel Bank within a couple of days of the delay.

Keep us posted with your experience - you can also tweet their CS team as they are quite responsive.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by jasongc87
Thanks OEBB!
This is helpful, I got a robo email saying they've refunded my ticket and deposited $150 in my travel bank, should I expect anything more from Customer care? Still having a great time in FL though, and it made for a great story, plus I got to use my priority pass lounge pass at the Turkish Airlines club in Dulles highly recommended!
Is the $150 a credit on TOP of the refunded original fare? If so, I think that's probably the best you're going to get.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - The issues are broken down into two different buckets:

1. As soon as your flight was delayed and you returned to the gate, you were entitled to cancel for a full refund to your original form of payment. That is not "compensation" it is simply what you are owed because B6 could not complete the flight. It has nothing to do with fault.

2. B6 also provides an additional $50 in future flight credit. This is highly restricted and not the effective cash you are entitled to receive for your ticket.

3. The consequential costs of the taxi to IAD and the UA ticket should be submitted to your travel insurance carrier. The insurance carrier, presuming that you document this properly ought to refund you in cash (equivalent) the $200 you are out of pocket (taxi + UA ticket - refund from B6).

Unfortunately, B6 does not interline with other domestic carriers, so it could not simply issue you a ticket on another carriers flights directly/indirectly to MCO.

As a travel tip, if you find yourself on a carrier such as B6 or WN which does not interline (at least on domestic) and the rolling delays start, take a look at options immediately. From DCA, there are non-stops to MCO on UA as well as connections on AA through PHL and CLT and on DL through ATL. Start thinking about cancelling for a refund and grabbing one of those tickets if you want to get moving.

The later in the day from an airport such as DCA, especially on a Thursday, the less you will find.
Old May 19, 2017, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
From DCA, there are non-stops to MCO on UA
I don't think so.

After the 3:30p B6 flight the OP was originally booked on the only DCA-MCO flights are the later B6 (6p) and an AA nonstop (5:10p). Even if the OP headed straight over once back in the terminal making the 5:10p likely would've been tight.

And not too surprised that many flights are sold out these days. Load factors are at record highs. On the plus side, a $245 walk-up for WAS-MCO is a pretty cheap fare.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Great News

Hi All,
Got a reply this afternoon from JetBlue. They handled this really well and are refunding the original Jetblue ticket, depositing $150 for Customer Bill of Rights, and are reimbursing the the United Airlines Ticket value minus the cost of the original JetBlue ticket. I'm really surprised how quick they responded and the solution they offered. Can't say I would have ever experienced this great service on any other carrier. Hats off to JetBlue!
Old May 19, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: AGR Select Exec, MR Plat, B6 Mosaic, UA Silver
Wow - color me impressed! B6 does do a good job of making a bad situation right.

Hopefully, when you use your TB credits all goes well!
Old May 19, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I think B6 does a fantastic job at service recovery, but when things hit the fan... good luck... I was on a B6 redeye flight last year departing from an outstation that went mechanical at 1:45am local (105 minutes after scheduled departure) and it was miserable. 2 GAs handling a full flight's worth of rebookings... Luckily I got matched to Mosaic and was able to call in for a rebooking before everyone else, but I still had to wait another hour for the GAs to tell me they didn't have a hotel room for me.

Bottom line - B6 needs to interline with other domestic carriers to better handle IRROPs.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Bottom line - B6 needs to interline with other domestic carriers to better handle IRROPs.
Agreed. Call me crazy, but I think JetBlue would prefer to interline (they used to with AA until they pulled the partnership after merging with US). It's that the big airlines don't want to 'help out' the smaller carriers when they run into problems. Until Congress FORCES all airlines to interline and/or purchase tickets for customers on any airline when delays are preventable and due to mechanical or staffing issue, it will never change. We went from six decent-to-bad airlines (American, Continental, Delta, Northwest, US Airways & United) to three awful airlines that simply don't have to care about service. That's why I fly B6 whenever possible...help the airline that (IMO) tries the hardest when things go bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.