Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Family says JetBlue booted them from flight over a birthday cake

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family says JetBlue booted them from flight over a birthday cake

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by ccyao
The FA could have just told him where he could place the cake rather than where he could not have placed it.
It sounds like the problem is that the pax told the FA where she could stick the cake.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by moreofless
With all the airline mergers, airline has gotten so big and eliminated so much competition, they have lost the concept of customer service. The attitude seems to be that the customer should feel privileged to be allowed to fly. At the same time all the fees and restrictions have created a confrontational relationship between the airlines and their customers.

The solution is to have the government undo its past mistakes allowing the huge airline mergers and break up the airlines and thereby restoring competition.

In this incident, the police did not find fault with the passengers so I have little faith in the statements by JetBlue.
Not at all. There is a huge difference between "finding fault" and having to arrest someone. Being a jerk or giving lip to a flight attendant is not a criminal offense. Police are not arbiters of who is at fault here. They determine if there's been a crime committed and probable cause for an arrest.

Do you not understand the difference?
Old May 16, 2017, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by HomerJay
Not at all. There is a huge difference between "finding fault" and having to arrest someone. Being a jerk or giving lip to a flight attendant is not a criminal offense. Police are not arbiters of who is at fault here. They determine if there's been a crime committed and probable cause for an arrest.

Do you not understand the difference?

The family was taking a special cake to a special occasion. There would not have been an issue if the JetBlue employees would have treated the people as valuable customers. The airlines have created a confrontational relationship with their customers before they even arrive at the airport. It is clear these JetBlue employees are in need of some retraining on what it means to give good customer service. The whole airline industry treats customers like they are doing them a favor for flying them. Break up the huge airline to restore competition and then customers will be treated like valuable customers not cargo.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by moreofless
The family was taking a special cake to a special occasion. There would not have been an issue if the JetBlue employees would have treated the people as valuable customers. The airlines have created a confrontational relationship with their customers before they even arrive at the airport. It is clear these JetBlue employees are in need of some retraining on what it means to give good customer service. The whole airline industry treats customers like they are doing them a favor for flying them. Break up the huge airline to restore competition and then customers will be treated like valuable customers not cargo.
They are doing them a favor. They provide an affordable transportation solution for millions of people. It is very clear that most pax do not care about anything except the price on the ticket. People get all stirred up when the news or social media carries a story forward for a few days and then they all go book the lowest, non-refundable ticket on whatever airline pops up.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
They are doing them a favor. They provide an affordable transportation solution for millions of people. It is very clear that most pax do not care about anything except the price on the ticket. People get all stirred up when the news or social media carries a story forward for a few days and then they all go book the lowest, non-refundable ticket on whatever airline pops up.
They are not doing us a favor. Businesses earn our business not the other way around. The airlines are so large and have a virtual monopoly, they treat the customer like dirt. It is time for our government to break up the large airlines and restore competition. Then the airlines who understand real customer service are the ones who will succeed.

Arrogance is not customer service.

Last edited by moreofless; May 16, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Old May 16, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by nrr
From the news media description, the cake got lots of jostling, why should one assume the cake "survived".
It might have been easier to arrange (in advance) with a LAS VEGAS bakery to deliver a cake to the property where the family was staying. (Per article they bought THE cake in NYC at a particular bakery, unless that cake was "super special" my delivery suggestion seems easier).
In hindsight, this

Also, is some at TSA in trouble for allowing the cake through? It has been my experience that food brought from outside doesn't not make it through - happened to me once attempting to bring poboys back from MSY
Old May 16, 2017, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by nycatl
In hindsight, this

Also, is some at TSA in trouble for allowing the cake through? It has been my experience that food brought from outside doesn't not make it through - happened to me once attempting to bring poboys back from MSY
Solid foods are usually not an issue going through TSA.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
You don't know how business works do you? Without customers, JetBlue or any airline would cease to exist. Same thing with McDonald's, or any other business. Customers PAY for the businesses, employees, and everything else. So no, they are not doing customers a favor. We're the ones PAYING their paychecks. Not the other way around.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: Free agent
I'm not sure why you're going for personal attacks. I'm very well aware of how a business works. My point was that until passengers actually start voting with their feet, the status quo will not change. It is very obvious that a vast majority of people buy the lowest fare and don't bother looking at a single other facet of the business.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I don't like FA behaviors. No reasons to be removed from the aircraft. That's very wrong. The entire family had it right to get on board the aircraft. They allowed to. FA can't be bugging with passengers' cake. The cake should be under the seat above you. FA had respect that. You can't be disrespecting with entire family. You must leave the entire family alone. Leave it alone!
Old May 17, 2017, 9:12 am

There are so many posts about the FAs not giving the family dignity and respect but there is zero evidence to suggest that they didn't. For all we know the father started yelling and swearing at the FA while moving the cake around. At some point the FA decided that the father was the type of person who would continue this attitude during the flight and they asked for the family to exit the plane. I would assume the first step would have been to ask the family to exit the plane and then when they didn't, ask the police to come get them.

We have no video evidence up until the police arrive, but I'm struggling to see how everyone is jumping to the conclusion that the FA was just crazy. I saw a family get kicked out of Chilis because they were being too loud after they were asked to be more quiet, I don't see massive backlash against Chilis and people calling the restaurant industry doomed.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Seth Moore
There are so many posts about the FAs not giving the family dignity and respect but there is zero evidence to suggest that they didn't. For all we know the father started yelling and swearing at the FA while moving the cake around. At some point the FA decided that the father was the type of person who would continue this attitude during the flight and they asked for the family to exit the plane. I would assume the first step would have been to ask the family to exit the plane and then when they didn't, ask the police to come get them.

We have no video evidence up until the police arrive, but I'm struggling to see how everyone is jumping to the conclusion that the FA was just crazy. I saw a family get kicked out of Chilis because they were being too loud after they were asked to be more quiet, I don't see massive backlash against Chilis and people calling the restaurant industry doomed.
Not everyone. I have no doubt the father brought this on himself. The fact he was told to remove the cake and didn't - just moved it to a different bin. The fact he put it in the emergency equipment bin when told not to. The fact he asked the FA if she'd been drinking - what calm, rational person does that just out of the blue? The liklihood, based on Jet Blue's response, that they had extra carryons and dad wouldn't put the cake under the seat until he realized they were getting the boot. To me, it is more than likely dad was a belligerent db to the crew by the end but once the camera started rolling, tried to play the victim.

Nope, not falling for their 'poor me' story.

Last edited by Finkface; May 17, 2017 at 9:23 am Reason: Speling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.