Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Dominican Republic - Maximum Baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond

It appears it's not possible to take a case weighing over 50lbs to the D.R.?

Am I reading this correctly from the B6 site?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Yup that is what the website says.
"Each bag must NOT exceed 62 inches (157.48 centimeters) in overall dimensions (length + width + height) and CANNOT exceed 50 pounds (22.68 kg)."

AA restricts at 70lbs max.
"When traveling to Mexico, the Caribbean or Latin America, you will not be able to travel with: Overweight items ( more than 70lb/32kgs)"

DL matches B6s.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Had no idea about this, and very annoying. We're getting married there next week and flying in on JetBlue. Got tons of stuff to bring and this limit is a nightmare

Tried to switch to AA but flights sold out for our dates.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Each passenger is allowed 2 checked bags up to 50 lbs.
Is a 3rd or 4th bag, paying fee, not an option for you?
You were planning on bringing a bag over 50 lbs which would have cost you a fee anyways.

"Additional baggage and bags that exceed the overall dimensions or weight WILL NOT be allowed onboard flights to/from the Dominican Republic*, Haiti, or Trinidad & Tobago.
*Additional baggage will be accepted on flights to/from La Romana, Dominican Republic."

Last edited by Yoshi212; Apr 27, 2017 at 1:09 pm Reason: additional info.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Planning to have 4 bags total, a couple of which were going to be over 50lbs. Have to re-think our packing now.

It's just extremely annoying being restricted to 50lbs, which isn't a lot.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:59 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Sounds like paying the excess baggage fee is the best choice.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Sounds like paying the excess baggage fee is the best choice.
As the OP mentions, in this case, that is not an option. You're essentially restricted to 100 lbs of luggage per person, not including carry on, no ifs/ands/buts
Old May 10, 2017, 7:06 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I can confirm that no excess fee is allowed for flights to the DR, not even for mosaics. The main issue is the amount of luggage (plus the large amount of carry-on items) passengers bring on these routes. In the past, it was usual to see many passengers with 4 and even 5 checked bags especially during christmas season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.