Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Red eye flight $350 to upgrade from eco to Mint, SFO>JFK

Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

I picked up an expensive coach ticket during high season. Today I noticed the price of Mint came down to about $350 more than my coach ticket for SFO>JFK. I just want to check in with you guys to see what you think of the price difference, is it worth it?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
IMO it depends on how much you value a few hours of sleep. If it were me and I had to work the following day, I'd probably spend the extra money. On a redeye you won't be able to take full advantage of the food and drink unless you want to stay awake, but the difference in comfort for sleep, if that's what you want, is enormous.

I think Mint is both the best product and the best value of all transcon premium flights I've tried in the last few years (VX, B6, AA)...
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by mattack4000
I picked up an expensive coach ticket during high season. Today I noticed the price of Mint came down to about $350 more than my coach ticket for SFO>JFK. I just want to check in with you guys to see what you think of the price difference, is it worth it?
I've flown Mint on an SFO>BOS redeye, and it was the best sleep I've ever gotten on a plane -- though that was partly because I scored 2F, which is an individual seat with no neighbor. Still, unless the $350 is a hardship for you, I'd spend it in a heartbeat.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:17 am

seems like a good deal. I would do it.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I'd do it. You can get real sleep.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Upgraded my LAX-JFK flight the other day for ~$250 while I was at JFK waiting for my delayed flight. When I walked up to ask about upgrading I put a $400 budget on this and was very happy about the $250.

The rep was also able to get me 2F for the suite experience.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Upgraded my LAX-JFK flight the other day for ~$250 while I was at JFK waiting for my delayed flight. When I walked up to ask about upgrading I put a $400 budget on this and was very happy about the $250.

The rep was also able to get me 2F for the suite experience.
That's a great deal for the best seat on the plane.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Agreed, I always fly 2F. Best seat!
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
It depends on what you already paid but usually the cheapest one-way Mint ticket is $599-$649
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Any particular reason 2F is preferred over the other suites? or is this a general "the suites seats are the best" thing?

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Originally Posted by caliform
Agreed, I always fly 2F. Best seat!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:42 am
Original Poster

I still haven't made the move, but the seat is still available. The mint cabin is still empty at this point, should I wait to try to see if the upgrade price would be cheaper at check in? I paid $291 for the fare, I think the mint fare is $659
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Any particular reason 2F is preferred over the other suites? or is this a general "the suites seats are the best" thing?
A bit of both. I prefer that side of the plane and I found that I was served first when seated there. I also sleep on my left side for the most part and I like seeing the curve of the plane while going to sleep.

I prefer 2F over 4F simply because you get off a bit faster.

I still haven't made the move, but the seat is still available. The mint cabin is still empty at this point, should I wait to try to see if the upgrade price would be cheaper at check in? I paid $291 for the fare, I think the mint fare is $659
It won't get any cheaper than that. I would also check ExpertFlyer to see if there are pax in Mint with unassigned seats.

My recommendation is to buy it now. That's close to the best possible price for the route.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:20 am

I was told by a rep at JFK that the day of flight upgrade cost starts at $499. I'd jump now.

Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
It is all a matter of how much money you are willing to shell out for a few hours of luxury.
The mint seat is very nice (suite is even nicer even though the seat is not really different from the other mint seats), the service is usually excellent and food fairly tasty.
I think it is a much better/nicer experience than United BF on the transcon service.

If the difference is not going to affect your bottom line (at the end of the month/year) then it is a luxury worth taking. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Is it worth it?" threads are impossible to answer because nobody here knows what $350 means to you.

If you need that $350 to prevent your house from being foreclosed, it's not worth it. If you drop $350 on a bar tab after work, it's worth it.

If your question is whether the price is right, the answer is that it is and that it's not likely to drop. At some point, a couple of people will buy what's left and you won't need to wonder because the seats will be gone.

If you are going to do this, jump now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.