Wiki Posts
Search

JFK T5 Duty Free Champagne

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:48 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

JFK T5 Duty Free Champagne

Have a flight out of T5 coming up and was wondering if anyone has seen what champagne they have on offer (I like to BYOB...)... specifically looking for Rose but all would do. Thanks!

FDW
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Jetblue Mosaic, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive Elite
You're better off buying Champagne from a regular retailer instead of at the airport. Duty on champagne is very low (unlike liquor) and the mark-ups at the airport DF stores will likely offset any savings.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:25 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by zhaofa90
You're better off buying Champagne from a regular retailer instead of at the airport. Duty on champagne is very low (unlike liquor) and the mark-ups at the airport DF stores will likely offset any savings.
It's not about savings, it's about the ability to carry it on that I'm looking for. I figure I'ld spend about the same but it's for convenience

FDW
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
It's not about savings, it's about the ability to carry it on that I'm looking for. I figure I'ld spend about the same but it's for convenience

FDW
The FAA does not allow you to drink your own booze on a plane. If you do it and try to hide it, the fines can go up to thousands of dollars.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caliform
The FAA does not allow you to drink your own booze on a plane. If you do it and try to hide it, the fines can go up to thousands of dollars.
I thought technically as long as you get served by a FA it's okay.... but that's not where I'm trying to BYOB to... I'm hoping to pick up a couple bottles to consume at my destination hence why I'm curious about the selection....

FDW
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What is your destination?

Depending on destination, you may well have to pay duty to import the champagne into that country. Some places can be brutally expensive.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
What is your destination?

Depending on destination, you may well have to pay duty to import the champagne into that country. Some places can be brutally expensive.
Dominican Republic. I'm allowed 2 L of unopened alcohol per person; so should be fine...

FDW
Old Feb 16, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I thought technically as long as you get served by a FA it's okay.... but that's not where I'm trying to BYOB to... I'm hoping to pick up a couple bottles to consume at my destination hence why I'm curious about the selection....

FDW

I think you're right--at least for domestic flights. The website says "You may bring wine, champagne or beer on a flight for consumption during the flight if it is in an unopened container. If you’d like to drink the alcohol you carry on, you may give it to one of our Inflight crewmembers, and they will be happy to serve it to you."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.