Search

JetBlue Quietly Raises Bag Fees

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
JetBlue Quietly Raises Bag Fees

Hey bloggers, get on this!

Today, I checked in for my flight tomorrow, and decided to check a bag at OLCI since the Blue Plus fare was about $36 more than the Blue fare when I booked.

When I went to go pay for my bags, I saw that they were charging me $25 for a checked bag instead of $20. For those unfamiliar with JetBlue, prior to today, the first checked bag is included if you buy a Blue Plus or Blue Flex (2 bags) fare, or $20 at online check-in or the kiosk at the airport, and $25 if paid at the counter.

I checked the website and sure enough, the wording about the discount fee of $20 when paid online or at a kiosk has disappeared, although additional bags may still be discounted when paid for online.

To be sure, I sent JetBlue a quick message on Twitter, and they've confirmed that it's now $25 across the board to check a bag.

It's only $5 so I'm not upset, but legally, shouldn't the terms agreed to at booking apply? Or does the CoC (which admittedly, I have not read in its entirety) allow them to quietly change things like this on a whim?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:56 pm

Technically you agreed to 0 bags at booking when selecting a Blue fare, so legally you won't have a case.

Most airlines do small price ancillary changes quietly.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The DoT has been aggressive with the airlines in the past about changes to bag fees after purchase. That said, if the "list price" was always $25 and it is just a discount no longer being offered then JetBlue might be able to get away with it. I mostly think it depends on how the fee is worded in the purchase process and how the "discount" is described.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DOT rules are really simple. Rather than posting here, take a look at the disclosure on your e-ticket receipt. The rule requires that B6 disclose the first and second bag fee, if any, for your particular ticket. No cutsie fare rules names and the like. Just the fee.

If your e-ticket discloses $20, the fee is $20. If $25 and you were able to pay $20 in advance and now you are not, that is poor customer service and nothing more. If the e-ticket receipt discloses $20, and you were charged $25, you have a valid DOT complaint and may file one online without fee.

So, all depends on the disclosure.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Good idea, I'll check my receipt. I highly doubt that someone woke up and decided to change the fee though. I wouldn't be surprised if my receipt did say $25. Unfortunately, I can't access my email on FlyFi right now (but somehow FT works), so I'll have to check later.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:13 am

Just looked at my itinerary from Feb 1: "CHECKED BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE/FEES
For flights booked before June 30, 2015, fares include one checked bag, the fee for a second checked bag is $50 and additional checked bags are $100 each. For flights booked on or after June 30 2015: For Blue fares, the first checked bag fee is $20 in advance or $25 at the check-in counter and the second checked bag is $35. For Blue Plus fares, one checked bag is included and the second checked bag fee is $35. For Blue Flex fares, two checked bags are included... "

Coming from Europe, I have no experience with DoT complaints... What could one expect from these? Something that would force JetBlue to charge $20 for existing reservations or more than that? I have a couple of itineraries booked under the old rule for March travel.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
From an email on January 31st
CHECKED BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE/FEES
For flights booked before June 30, 2015, fares include one checked bag, the fee for a second checked bag is $50 and additional checked bags are $100 each. For flights booked on or after June 30 2015: For Blue fares, the first checked bag fee is $20 in advance or $25 at the check-in counter and the second checked bag is $35. For Blue Plus fares, one checked bag is included and the second checked bag fee is $35. For Blue Flex fares, two checked bags are included. For Blue and Blue Plus fares for flights to or from Santa Domingo, Santiago, Port-au-Prince, Port of Spain, Kingston, Cartagena, Medellin, Bogota, Lima and Mexico City: one checked bag is included and the second checked bag fee is $35. For TrueBlue Mosaic members: two checked bags are included. For Mint fares: two checked bags are included. For all fares, the third and any additional bags are $100 each. All bags are subject to size/weight restrictions. Other fees apply for oversized or overweight baggage. See www.jetblue.com/bags. Excess baggage rules and size/weight restrictions may vary depending on load availability and country restrictions. See www.jetblue.com/bags for more information.
And from February 4th
CHECKED BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE/FEES
For Blue fares, the first checked bag fee is $25 and the second checked bag is $35. For Blue Plus fares, one checked bag is included and the second checked bag fee is $35. For Blue Flex fares, two checked bags are included. For TrueBlue Mosaic members: two checked bags are included. For Mint fares: two checked bags are included. For all fares, the third and any additional bags are $100 each. All bags are subject to size/weight restrictions. Other fees apply for oversized or overweight baggage. See www.jetblue.com/bags. Excess baggage rules and size/weight restrictions may vary depending on load availability and country restrictions. See www.jetblue.com/bags for more information.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by klanfa
Just looked at my itinerary from Feb 1: "CHECKED BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE/FEES
For flights booked before June 30, 2015, fares include one checked bag, the fee for a second checked bag is $50 and additional checked bags are $100 each. For flights booked on or after June 30 2015: For Blue fares, the first checked bag fee is $20 in advance or $25 at the check-in counter and the second checked bag is $35. For Blue Plus fares, one checked bag is included and the second checked bag fee is $35. For Blue Flex fares, two checked bags are included... "

Coming from Europe, I have no experience with DoT complaints... What could one expect from these? Something that would force JetBlue to charge $20 for existing reservations or more than that? I have a couple of itineraries booked under the old rule for March travel.
You are still looking in the wrong place.

For each ticket, you have an e-ticket receipt. This is an email from B6. It contains your itinerary and your e-ticket number and then pages of information. Towards the end is the baggage information for your specific ticket. It lists the charge for your first bag and your second bag. It is not the variable information you post above, but it is based on the information from B6's policies.

This information is required by DOT and it is this information which may not change post-purchase.

If your e-ticket receipt states $20, and you are charged more, you have a complaint.

If you file a complaint, DOT will forward it to B6 for response within some limited number of days. B6 will have a paralegal review it and, if it has made an error, you will see a refund and B6 will advise DOT. If B6 does this enough, DOT will fine B6 (but that won't change things for you).

So, once again, the key is to look at the e-ticket receipt and check the specific disclosure for the specific ticket. Nothing else matters.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by klanfa
Officially the DOT complaints do not result in any specific benefit for the consumer. The DOT cannot force the airline to issue compensation to you, though it can press for the rules to be correctly applied.

More significant is the DOT's power to issue a significant fine to the airline in an effort to dissuade such behavior in the future.

And in this case I'd bet it gets you a refund or voucher/credit.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:26 pm

Thanks to both of you for replies!
That was the right place to look, that was part of the email I got from JetBlue, ie the receipt for the ticket.
So I guess it was a very silent change, and definitelynot cool to apply it to existing bookings too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.