Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Private Mint suite: so so experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Private Mint suite: so so experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I also tried Mint for the first time 6 weeks ago on JFK-SFO. I thought the seat (I don't mind the lumbar support as I prefer a firmer mattress), privacy, food, and amenity kit were great, but I couldn't help thinking about IRROPS situations, lack of lounge access, and relatively poor JFK T5 access via public transportation - it's like a good 10 minutes from the AirTrain to the Precheck line). Flew back on UA p.s. to compare and after considering all the factors, I would say they're pretty equal.
Love Mint and also agree with the JFK to AirTrain hassles. Made worse since JetBlue shut the exit nearest AirTrain. I've spent a lot less on B6 since then. They usually are spot on with customer experience, but have dropped the ball completely with the ground experience from both in and out processes.

In terms of the onboard product and service, JetBlue Mint is far the leader in the transcon market. This opinion from the guy who commutes weekly btwn LAX & NYC. I've expereinced them all, far too many times.

Love my AA CK entrance and knowing I can be inside sterile area within about 3-5 min. Wish B6 understood the importance of what regular high-rev customers really want with regard to their ground product instead of the intense focus on the occasional customer. It would be unstoppable leader.

Last edited by cyber1k; Sep 18, 2016 at 8:59 pm
Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:34 pm

For the price Mint is great. I still prefer Virgin America's first class seat more--even though it's only a recliner.

I can't quite find the comfort sweet spot for the seat with the seat completely flat on JetBlue. Maybe it has to do with the limited space footwell.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
AVOD is really not that important on a 5-6 hour flight. Free, usable wifi is way more valuable and useful to the majority of flyers. Plus as Amazon is sponsoring the wifi, I am sure Amazon would prefer people to login using their Prime account to stream content.

Mint is still a major disruptive force. The value that is offered is very high-especially for the market they set out to capture. Remember that Mint was started to capture small business customers that did not have the size to get corporate discounts and leisure travelers willing to pay somewhat more for a better product. The fact that more than 2 years later, Jetblue has reached a far bigger audience is a great testament to the success of Mint.

I was previously a Jetblue customer but would book the cheapest possible flight. Occasionally I would also use Virgin for transcons when I wanted to fly in first. This year I have taken all my JetBlue transcons in Mint and achieved Mosaic in February. It is a win for me and Jetblue is getting more out of me as well. It has transformed the travel experience for many people that I know and for whom I book travel.
I'm one of those small business customers B6 is trying to court. Been flying on B6 since 2004 out of BOS. I've flown in one of the suites 3x to SFO and loved them. I can stretch out, setup my suite as an office and get work done. For what I've paid, it's been a tremendous value.

Of course, unlike New York, in our market, there are no transcon flights that offer flatbed seats. Most are 2/2 configuration with 38" of seat pitch at best. So for BOS, Mint is a game changer. I've already noticed that prices for business class seats on legacy airlines have dropped to $750 RT down from probably $1,100 a year ago. Gotta love competition.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by bostnwhalr
I've already noticed that prices for business class seats on legacy airlines have dropped to $750 RT down from probably $1,100 a year ago. Gotta love competition.
That's the key point right there. I hope to see JetBlue expand their route network.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by oopl
That's the key point right there. I hope to see JetBlue expand their route network.
They will be expanding the Mint product significantly in 2017 and beyond. Average transcon premium fares have gone down 50% or so according to Virgin America's CEO which is obviously a great benefit to consumers.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
I had this happen while boarding flight recently, the plane was nearly empty but I really enjoyed the solo treatment.
I've had this happen a couple of times as well. Totally dependent on the GA though.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by cyber1k
Wish B6 understood the importance of what regular high-rev customers really want with regard to their ground product instead of the intense focus on the occasional customer. It would be unstoppable leader.
As a Mosaic, this was precisely my impression of flying Mint. B6 didn't care that I was Mosaic and spend thousands of dollars a year with them. In fact, the post flight survey didn't even include the usual Mosaic section nor did the FAs acknowledge me as Mosaic. The FAs were great but they were focused on delivering their cookie cutter Mint service.

Ignoring your most loyal customers is not a way to build a sustainable business model in the long run.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 4:55 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RWPrincess
As a Mosaic, this was precisely my impression of flying Mint. B6 didn't care that I was Mosaic and spend thousands of dollars a year with them. In fact, the post flight survey didn't even include the usual Mosaic section nor did the FAs acknowledge me as Mosaic. The FAs were great but they were focused on delivering their cookie cutter Mint service.

Ignoring your most loyal customers is not a way to build a sustainable business model in the long run.
Providing great service to everybody is far more important in building the sustainable business model and that is what I have experienced with every Mint flight. If I am on planes every week I could care less if I have the flight attendant come up to me every time to thank me for my business. Once in a while it may be nice but by the 10th time in the month, is it really necessary?

I know the routine, I get great service, and that is fine for me. On many non Mint flights I am the only Mosaic passenger anyway so at times they just announce it is time for me to board. Being based on the West Coast there are not a lot of Mosaic people anyway. It is nothing like the being an "elite" passenger on a legacy carrier out of SFO where it is entirely possible to have the whole plane full of "elite" passengers.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by cyber1k

Love my AA CK entrance and knowing I can be inside sterile area within about 3-5 min. Wish B6 understood the importance of what regular high-rev customers really want with regard to their ground product instead of the intense focus on the occasional customer. It would be unstoppable leader.
Yep, this is also painful at SFO where the bag drop in the international terminal is an utter disaster. It's incredibly overcrowded and slow, and almost always guarantees a 1hr+ wait to get your bags. Unacceptable.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Providing great service to everybody is far more important in building the sustainable business model and that is what I have experienced with every Mint flight. If I am on planes every week I could care less if I have the flight attendant come up to me every time to thank me for my business. Once in a while it may be nice but by the 10th time in the month, is it really necessary?

I know the routine, I get great service, and that is fine for me. On many non Mint flights I am the only Mosaic passenger anyway so at times they just announce it is time for me to board. Being based on the West Coast there are not a lot of Mosaic people anyway. It is nothing like the being an "elite" passenger on a legacy carrier out of SFO where it is entirely possible to have the whole plane full of "elite" passengers.
I didn't say anything about the Mint service not being great. The service was great and I'm sure it was consistent though this was my first Mint flight. I've worked in the loyalty space for over 10 years now so I know it is indeed important to acknowledge your most loyal customers. That is far more important long term.

I'm on the East Coast and have never been on a flight with more than 5 Mosaics. And that was a really extreme case.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by caliform
Yep, this is also painful at SFO where the bag drop in the international terminal is an utter disaster. It's incredibly overcrowded and slow, and almost always guarantees a 1hr+ wait to get your bags. Unacceptable.
I flew Mint BOS-SFO 2x over two weeks, and the baggage pickup area is out a 3rd world country. Definitely not Mint-ish. Mint bags were out first as promised. In fact, the first time, were the first ones down there and an airport employee had to unlock the door to the room.

Having said that, the premium for Mint has run me about $250 per leg once I factor in the upcharge for an EMS and luggage fee. A no-brainer, especially for the suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.