Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Private Mint suite: so so experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Private Mint suite: so so experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I also tried Mint for the first time 6 weeks ago on JFK-SFO. I thought the seat (I don't mind the lumbar support as I prefer a firmer mattress), privacy, food, and amenity kit were great, but I couldn't help thinking about IRROPS situations, lack of lounge access, and relatively poor JFK T5 access via public transportation - it's like a good 10 minutes from the AirTrain to the Precheck line). Flew back on UA p.s. to compare and after considering all the factors, I would say they're pretty equal.

Last edited by 764toHI; Sep 11, 2016 at 8:58 pm
Old Sep 9, 2016, 5:04 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Often1
Of course it's overhyped and B6 has gotten away with a cutsie name rather than designated it as J.
How is Mint better/worse as a name than "Delta One" or "p.s."?

And if you can find your booking class (which B6 makes difficult) you'll see the traditional booking codes. (My last SFO-JFK run booked into "I".)

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
  • Amenity kit is a joke

It's not intended as an in-flight amenity kit, and even better the contents rotate.
  • No VOD. The movie starts when it starts.
I agree the lack of VOD at this point makes the system look embarrassingly dated, and I don't find streaming an acceptable alternative.

Originally Posted by 764toHI
Flew back on UA p.s. to compare and after considering all the factors, I would say they're pretty equal.
I think all in all B6 has a slightly better in flight product and the legacies have better (in some cases significantly better) ground operations. That said, I too consider them roughly equivalent overall and tend to book first on price and schedule.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
You can make the seat recline by tapping on the relax button. It will go back an inch or two with each tap and you can still keep your feet on the ground.

You can also use the relax button until the back starts to go back and then just lower the leg rest

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Sep 10, 2016 at 6:16 pm
Old Sep 10, 2016, 2:52 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by bennos
I agree the lack of VOD at this point makes the system look embarrassingly dated, and I don't find streaming an acceptable alternative.
Considering how recently the A321s were delivered, I do find the looped video baffling.

That being said, for me, the free wi-fi (that often works better than paid Gogo on other airlines) more than makes up for that.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 6:29 pm

AVOD is really not that important on a 5-6 hour flight. Free, usable wifi is way more valuable and useful to the majority of flyers. Plus as Amazon is sponsoring the wifi, I am sure Amazon would prefer people to login using their Prime account to stream content.

Mint is still a major disruptive force. The value that is offered is very high-especially for the market they set out to capture. Remember that Mint was started to capture small business customers that did not have the size to get corporate discounts and leisure travelers willing to pay somewhat more for a better product. The fact that more than 2 years later, Jetblue has reached a far bigger audience is a great testament to the success of Mint.

I was previously a Jetblue customer but would book the cheapest possible flight. Occasionally I would also use Virgin for transcons when I wanted to fly in first. This year I have taken all my JetBlue transcons in Mint and achieved Mosaic in February. It is a win for me and Jetblue is getting more out of me as well. It has transformed the travel experience for many people that I know and for whom I book travel.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
For this business traveler, being able to spread out and work (suite is great for spaciousness + wifi makes work doable on the flight), sleep (don't care about intermediate seat settings), and decent food, Mint really has the keys to what some of us are looking for. Others, I'm sure not so much.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Recently flew SFO-BOS in a private Mint suite by buying up online for $200.
After experiencing the flight, I have mixed feelings about the product and I am not sure if I would want to pay for it again sometime.

The good:
  • Spacious suite
  • Large bed
  • Excellent FA service
  • Food is ok

The bad:
  • Amenity kit is a joke
  • Lumbar support hurting my lower back. Impossible to turn off. Needed extra cushion just below shoulder height.
  • No recline. Seat moves forward, then flat.
  • No VOD. The movie starts when it starts.
You paid $200 for all the good things and think that's not a bargain? Even if you take away the amenity kit and IFE completely.

$200 on DL/UA/AA won't even get you MCE/Comfort+/Econ+ on some flights.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by keitherson
You paid $200 for all the good things and think that's not a bargain? Even if you take away the amenity kit and IFE completely.

$200 on DL/UA/AYA won't even get you MCE/Comfort+/Econ+ on some flights.
that was a buy up fare. You don't know what he/she paid for the original cost of the ticket.

For $200.00 on DL, I can buy a one way coach ticket on JFK-LAX, use a GUC/RUC and wind up in business class, better food, seat, service, lounge, private check-in at LAX, DL 1 is leagues ahead of MINT...While Jet Blue might do there best to compete with the big boys, the one thing they will never compete with is the Porche service that DL offers at LAX, JFK, ATL etc. More than once, while making a tight connection at JFK, I was greeted by DL staff who whisked me off the plane, down the stairs, into a waiting Porche and off to my next gate. Lets see Jet Blue match that. Jet Blue can keep all the penny pinching flyers they want, but when someone wants to fly a quality business class, they choose DL, AA or even UA.

Last edited by DL2SXM; Sep 13, 2016 at 7:48 pm
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dl2sxm
that was a buy up fare. You don't know what he/she paid for the original cost of the ticket..
$599-$200 = $399
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
that was a buy up fare. You don't know what he/she paid for the original cost of the ticket.

For $200.00 on DL, I can buy a one way coach ticket on JFK-LAX, use a GUC/RUC and wind up in business class, better food, seat, service, lounge, private check-in at LAX, DL 1 is leagues ahead of MINT...While Jet Blue might do there best to compete with the big boys, the one thing they will never compete with is the Porche service that DL offers at LAX, JFK, ATL etc. More than once, while making a tight connection at JFK, I was greeted by DL staff who whisked me off the plane, down the stairs, into a waiting Porche and off to my next gate. Lets see Jet Blue match that. Jet Blue can keep all the penny pinching flyers they want, but when someone wants to fly a quality business class, they choose DL, AA or even UA.
You only need a Porche because DL's Terminal set up at JFK is so much worse than jetBlue's. JetBlue is going for the O/D traffic so I could care less about riding a few feet in a Porche. I would rather get through security in 30 seconds as I did over the weekend at Terminal 5 and not wait around in a lounge for an hour. I don't need to play the upgrade lottery and I can order my vegan meal in advance and have a good meal meal on the plane for a reasonable fare.

The vast majority of people do not have GUC/RUCs and would not want to fly on DL that much to get them. Mint is accessible to far more people and without the presence of Mint in the market the J fares on other carriers would be much higher.

Great that DL works for you but I would never pay the premium they often ask for given that we are a small business with no access to corporate discounts. I would take Mint any day over DL.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: B6, AA, AS
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
You only need a Porche because DL's Terminal set up at JFK is so much worse than jetBlue's. .....

The vast majority of people do not have GUC/RUCs and would not want to fly on DL that much to get them. Mint is accessible to far more people and without the presence of Mint in the market the J fares on other carriers would be much higher.

Great that DL works for you but I would never pay the premium they often ask for given that we are a small business with no access to corporate discounts. I would take Mint any day over DL.
Well said.

ETA; I added emojis within "sfozhfco" post. My bad. Will work on multi quoting.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

Are you kidding me?

First of all, GUC/RUCs aren't free. And Porsche transfers are hit and miss. I've been Diamond for 3 years and I've never received a single Porsche transfer.

And I do believe JetBlue service can match DL Diamond. I've had FAs personally greet me and check up on me for being Mosaic. I've had gate agents call my name out personally at the boarding area to tell me to board, because I was the only Mosaic on the aircraft.

That's something Delta can't match, whether they have Porsche transfers for the 360s or not.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by keitherson
I've had gate agents call my name out personally at the boarding area to tell me to board, because I was the only Mosaic on the aircraft.
I had this happen while boarding flight recently, the plane was nearly empty but I really enjoyed the solo treatment.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
I had this happen while boarding flight recently, the plane was nearly empty but I really enjoyed the solo treatment.
I'm not Mosaic but my last flight seated in 11A Exit was called by name on board by the FA and was offered to move to 10A exit saying I would have the entire row to myself instead of full one in 11.
Of course this was the FA making sure there was at least one person sitting in in each exit row willing and able to assist.
The FA had some type of tablet with the seating chart and names of pax on it so I assume this can be done for any passenger Mosaic or not.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
For $200.00 on DL, I can buy a one way coach ticket on JFK-LAX, use a GUC/RUC and wind up in business class, better food, seat, service, lounge, private check-in at LAX, DL 1 is leagues ahead of MINT...While Jet Blue might do there best to compete with the big boys, the one thing they will never compete with is the Porche service that DL offers at LAX, JFK, ATL etc. More than once, while making a tight connection at JFK, I was greeted by DL staff who whisked me off the plane, down the stairs, into a waiting Porche and off to my next gate.
  1. As you know, PMs (75k miles) get max 4 upgrade certs, DMs (125k miles) get max 10, and of course there's no guarantee that you can use them
  2. DL food IMO is not better, and up until recently hadn't even changed in like 5 years
  3. Whether the seat is better depends on the seat and the plane (IMO: Mint suite > DL A330 > DL 767 > Mint pairs = DL 757)
  4. Private check-in is nice, but not a decision maker for me
  5. Very few people get the Porsche transfer, and as you know its purpose is "surprise and delight" -- not something that can be relied upon

And if you look at the actual pricing available, the "penny pinchers" are on AA and UA, which IME regularly beats Mint on pricing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.