Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

B6 sends minors traveling alone from DR to wrong airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM

B6 is an absolute joke and should have their operating certificate revoked. How in the world you send not one, but two different unaccompanied minors to the wrong airport is beyond me. An absolute joke and totally unacceptable. Looks like one of the families turned to Delta to finish the job and get it done the right way.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
link to story?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards
https://consumerist.com/2016/09/01/j...or-switcheroo/

It says one of the moms is suing JetBlue. For what? Her child was returned safety- albeit a bit behind schedule. She has no legal basis to sue. Did JB screw up? Absolutely, but they aren't required to get the UM there nonstop. Think of it as a connecting flight.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1p
Sounds as though this was 2 young children at the same departure airport, same age and gender, where there was a mix - up and each was boarded on the other's flight. I could certainly understand an airline not offering UM services or making it cost prohibitive. It can't be very profitable and anything less than perfect execution is a PR nightmare.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
(1) Hey, at least this didn't star Macaullay Culkin!
(2) Joking aside...I don't think there's the basis for a major lawsuit (something minor involving negligence and emotional distress, perhaps, but that doesn't sound like it would be worth most attorney's while to take on contingency nor the parents' on hourly rates), but there's probably basis for some compensation for "Whoops, we screwed up!". The bigger error seems to be that one kid went out of airline observation without being handed to a parent or guardian of some sort.

(3) Honestly, as a sidebar, I'm reminded of innumerable stories of kids in their early teens flying/taking the train alone and not needing any help. On the one hand, this is arguably on the airline because of that fee...on the other hand, while noting that these kids were not of such an age, I really do have to lament the fact that there's no way to say "Look, he's 15 but he's got brain cells and doesn't need to be babysat all the way home."
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:56 pm

This was on the evening news. One of the moms was being interviewed by reporters. She was asked to comment on reports that the reason for the mix-up was that the two boys had exchanged passports. The mom had her attorney with her, and the attorney stopped the mom from answering.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
With all due respect, there is no way on God's green Earth I send my five year old on an international flight alone. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but that is beyond ridiculous. Airlines really shouldn't allow unaccompanied minors under ~12 years old.

"Martinez told the Daily News that she and her son had flown together from New York City on July 28 for a vacation in the Dominican Republic. She said she returned after a week and left her son with relatives, purchasing a ticket for him to return on August 17 and paying the $100 fee for unaccompanied minors."

What the f? Bring the kid back with you. I still have a hard time fathoming a parent who willingly has a FIVE year old fly internationally by himself. It makes no sense to me. I get the fact that JetBlue screwed up big time here, but I can't wrap my head around the fact that five year olds are allowed to fly alone.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:27 am

@AtomoicGiraffe. I started flying alone when I was 5. Loved it. by the time I was 12 when they finally didn't require me to be accompanied by an airline agent I was already the one showing my parents around the airports - they were clueless. Just because you wouldn't do it doesn't mean there aren't other people who do and for whom it works.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
B6 is an absolute joke and should have their operating certificate revoked.
I'm not sure you have any clue what an operating certificate is if you think this is reasoning for it being revoked.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 12:30 pm

What's more concerning here is that these kids had photo ID on them. If this happened, it means multiple employees never bothered to double check that they have the right child.

It takes 30 seconds to flip open a passport, look at the photo and look at the kid to make sure you have the right kid.

Why was this not done?

What would have happened if the passports were mixed up before landing at JFK and they presented the children to immigration with the wrong passports?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1p
It will be interesting to hear any follow up. Some press reports state the first indication there was a problem was when the wrong child was presented to the mother at JFK. If the passports were switched, that may imply that US immigration did not catch the problem.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FLIHGH
It says one of the moms is suing JetBlue. For what? Her child was returned safety- albeit a bit behind schedule. She has no legal basis to sue. Did JB screw up? Absolutely, but they aren't required to get the UM there nonstop. Think of it as a connecting flight.
She absolutely does have a legal basis to sue. Jetblue is a common carrier and owes a higher duty of care to passengers, especially minor ones. I think you can easily make out a claim for negligence based on mixing up two children and sending them to different airports. Oh and before you ask, yes I am a lawyer.

Back on topic, here's another article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/03/ny...says.html?_r=0
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I would like to hear that. Why they put on wrong flight? That's not right. They breaking the rules. They had to make sure if you put him on right flight. I don't like the behaviors against JetBlue. Don't let him go on wrong flight. Go easy on the jobs.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 6:02 am

B6 is an absolute joke and should have their operating certificate revoked. How in the world you send not one, but two different unaccompanied minors to the wrong airport is beyond me. An absolute joke and totally unacceptable. Looks like one of the families turned to Delta to finish the job and get it done the right way.
If your beloved Delta did this, you would be the first saying it was just an innocent mistake and all got resolved in the end.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Delta lost 2 UM's in 2010. Sent them to wrong cities as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.