Search

JetBlue Flight to Cuba

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
JetBlue Flight to Cuba

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/30/politi...ity/index.html

Who's going to fly to Cuba? Oh, wait, it's still officially illegal for Americans to fly to Cuba if it's not "authorized", isn't it?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: TrueBlue
There are several categories of travel that are allowed - tourism isn't one of them. But family visits, educational visits, news reporting and others are qualified reasons.

I work for the Air Force and asked our security officer if there were special permissions needed to go to Cuba. Nobody seemed to know what the new protocols were (I work at Hanscom AFB in Massachusetts) as nobody had yet asked. Now they're digging around to find out.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
JetBlue with an Airbus 320? Anyone else think this is something of an anticlimax?

It should have been an AA B787, or better yet, a Pan Am B707.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Authorization isn't all that hard, assuming you fit one of the categories.

And the inaugural was a TON of fun!

Bunch of photos on my twitter/instagram feeds right now; more to come when I'm back in the USA and not paying $2/hour for wifi.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
My parents went a few weeks ago on an "Cultural & Education" your via a chartered B6 plane direct from JFK.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by djplong
There are several categories of travel that are allowed - tourism isn't one of them. But family visits, educational visits, news reporting and others are qualified reasons.
Right, tourist is still prohibited. Only for relatives, business, journalist, and religious, as well as news reporting. You can't be a tourist unless the restrictions is lifted.

Originally Posted by tsastor
JetBlue with an Airbus 320? Anyone else think this is something of an anticlimax?

Yes, this is an A320 aircraft.

Please don't try to talk about the old airlines from the past.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by tsastor

exactly, to allow Jet Blue to land on Cuba soil first is a total embarrassment. That right should have gone to airlines that have previously served Cuba which dates back to the 1950's. Absolute disgrace.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Absolute disgrace.
YUP.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
There no longer a Pan Am which made the last commercial flight in 1961, what difference does it make who is the first to fly there now.

Went there last December via AA charter. The official reason that lets everybody go is that which states "I am going to support the Cuban people." Incredible destination!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Could anyone of you on this trip please tell me how you got your Cuba tourist card/visa? Was it issued by the airline on board or at check in? Or did you need to get it from the embassy before departure? Or was it available on arrival?

I know that on the previous charter flights these arrangements were handled by the travel agency doing the charter, but have no idea how this is handled on the commercial flights.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 6:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rens
Could anyone of you on this trip please tell me how you got your Cuba tourist card/visa? Was it issued by the airline on board or at check in? Or did you need to get it from the embassy before departure? Or was it available on arrival?
It is $50 and available from JetBlue at the check-in counter.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by sbm12
It is $50 and available from JetBlue at the check-in counter.
Thanks. Good to know. Appreciate the reply.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:12 am

restrictions for foreigners

Hi !!
i need your help: do you know if the restrictions are valid for NON-US citizens ?
I'm italian with an italian passport, resident in europe and i have regoular visa of Cuba issued by their embassy in Rome. I'm just spending few days in Florida before a one way flight to Cuba where i'll fly back later to Italy.
Thank you very much in advance and sorry for my bad english :-P
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:33 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by OmeletteOne
Hi !!
i need your help: do you know if the restrictions are valid for NON-US citizens ?
I'm italian with an italian passport, resident in europe and i have regoular visa of Cuba issued by their embassy in Rome. I'm just spending few days in Florida before a one way flight to Cuba where i'll fly back later to Italy.
Thank you very much in advance and sorry for my bad english :-P
Tutto bene😀 The restrictions are for US citizens.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Tutto bene😀 The restrictions are for US citizens.

very good ! thank you for your answer !!
Grazie mille !!! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.