Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Limit to complimentary alcoholic beverages in one flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2016, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, SPG

Can Mosaic members get an unlimited amount of alcoholic beverages aboard flights? If not, what is the limit per flight, and how strictly is it enforced?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by LukeRB
Can Mosaic members get an unlimited amount of alcoholic beverages aboard flights? If not, what is the limit per flight, and how strictly is it enforced?
The only limit is the FAA rule that FAs may not serve alcohol to any passenger who displays, in their opinion, signs of intoxication.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.575

Every FA interprets the rule differently. I've personally seen FAs serve six scotches to someone in quick succession -- he fell asleep quickly thereafter -- and there are myriad stories on FT of churlish FAs cutting people off after three drinks in the span of three hours.

The only thing you can't do is argue with the FA about their decision while in the air. That's a quick route to being met by law enforcement at your destination. If you do get cut off without a good reason, you're welcome to send a note to B6 after the flight.

Your best bet is, no surprise, to be cordial and pace yourself.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
The only limit is the FAA rule that FAs may not serve alcohol to any passenger who displays, in their opinion, signs of intoxication.

[…]

Your best bet is, no surprise, to be cordial and pace yourself.
Thanks for the info. Have you been given multiple complimentary alcoholic beverages on a JetBlue flight after you earned Mosaic (or heard of other people getting multiple complementary alcoholic beverages)?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've definitely had a couple comp'd. Never tried to finish the bar cart, at least not on B6.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:27 pm

Just got two beers in a row with the 2nd being offered by the FA.. short flight, won't have time for the 3rd
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Have you been given multiple complimentary alcoholic beverages on a JetBlue flight after you earned Mosaic (or heard of other people getting multiple complementary alcoholic beverages)?
Originally Posted by sbm12
I've definitely had a couple comp'd. Never tried to finish the bar cart, at least not on B6.
Originally Posted by g0ld3n
Just got two beers in a row with the 2nd being offered by the FA.. short flight, won't have time for the 3rd
Awesome—thanks for the data points! I'll see how many drinks we can get through on our OAK–LGB flight (and LGB–OAK return) later this month

Last edited by LukeRB; Aug 2, 2016 at 3:34 pm
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I'll see how many drinks we can get through our on OAK–LGB flight (and LGB–OAK return) later this month

I realize you're being facetious, but just to be clear, that is not what we're recommending!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone

I realize you're being facetious, but just to be clear, that is not what we're recommending!
Haha, yes, being facetious. We may get two or three drinks (and keep one or two for our nights in LGB) and then do the same on the way home to SF.

While this question started because of our trip to LGB, it got me thinking about what the limits/restrictions were for Mosaic members.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Gosh, that is some crazy optimization you're going after.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Ultimately it is going to be up to the crew on the flight. There is no limit to what our Mosiac customers can drink. As long as you are responsible and aren't acting out you're good to go.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Does OAK -> LGB not qualify for express service? It's similar in distance to BOS -> DCA and often that flight, depending on routing, goes express, at least IME.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Does OAK -> LGB not qualify for express service? It's similar in distance to BOS -> DCA and often that flight, depending on routing, goes express, at least IME.
I think the cutoff is 340 miles, and milecalc has OAK-LGB at 353, so should be just long enough.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
Ultimately it is going to be up to the crew on the flight. There is no limit to what our Mosiac customers can drink. As long as you are responsible and aren't acting out you're good to go.
Thanks for the confirmation! Fully intending to be responsible—may not even drink one of the beverages during out flight.

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
I think the cutoff is 340 miles, and milecalc has OAK-LGB at 353, so should be just long enough.
My exact train of thought. Can anyone confirm that OAK–LGB (and LGB–OAK) operate on full service, since they're over 340 miles?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

may not even drink one of the beverages during out flight.
Ordering a comp drink as a to go order is rather déclassé.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
My exact train of thought. Can anyone confirm that OAK–LGB (and LGB–OAK) operate on full service, since they're over 340 miles?
I can't speak for OAK->LGB, but on BOS->DCA, which is a similar distance, I would hazard that 70% of the time it's full serve while 30% express. I honestly think it depends on the FAs because I've seen full serve done on the 50 minute in flight routing and not done on the 1 hour and ten minute routing

Originally Posted by sbm12
Ordering a comp drink as a to go order is rather déclassé.
On about the same level as taking zip-lock bags into the AA AC, DL SC, or UA UC for 'snacks', which I have personally witnessed on more than one occasion. This is why we can't have nice things...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.