Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetblue Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: GE
Has anyone bought EMS at the gate (either because the GA made a public upsell announcement, or unsolicited)? I am wondering how much discount (if any) can usually be gotten at that point.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by bbtrvl
Has anyone bought EMS at the gate (either because the GA made a public upsell announcement, or unsolicited)? I am wondering how much discount (if any) can usually be gotten at that point.
Last time I flew B6 was AUA-FLL, pretty low LF and plenty of open seats. They tried selling EMS seats at their online going price of $50 once the boarding was complete. That said, I've seen the price for EMS go down some $10-15 from the online price on SRQ-JFK last December during check-in.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: TrueBlue, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Orwaid
HI -

Not sure -- I have been Mosaic for 5 years now. But I think the answer is no, only Mosaics can upgrade with points, and it needs to be done before you check in.

Also, the cash prices fluctuate all over the place. I was told that it is based on demand and not solely a function of distance, fare paid, etc.
Given it has to be done before you check in, I could theoretically book a flight for July today, then call the Mosaic line and do a points upgrade to EMS?
Old May 15, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by Intheair2night
Given it has to be done before you check in, I could theoretically book a flight for July today, then call the Mosaic line and do a points upgrade to EMS?
Yes.

Keep in mind there is an unofficial policy to upgrade Mosaic customers to EMS seats when they are available at the gate too. YMMV obviously.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: AGR Select Exec, MR Plat, B6 Mosaic, UA Silver
Regarding Mosaic free upgrades my experience has varied based on airport (I know, not surprising). JFK is my home airport and I have found as long as I go to the Mosaic desk to get my ticket printed (even if not checking a bag) they will always give me an EMS seat if one is available. When I connect through Boston a gate agent will almost always change my seat. Based on that, I would assume the focus cities are best for this, but...

At FLL and LGB I've never had them give me an EMS seat at check-in (at Mosaic counter) or at gate on flights where the seats are available. Also, no luck at ORD/CHS/BUF/etc, but given those aren't focus cities I don't expect it.

Generally, on flights over 3 hours I'll just use points to guarantee I get the seat and for flights less than 3 hours I'm happy if I get it and not concerned if I don't.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
you could do a points upgrade to EMS on jetblue.com
Old May 16, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Hyatt
Originally Posted by OEBB
Regarding Mosaic free upgrades my experience has varied based on airport (I know, not surprising). JFK is my home airport and I have found as long as I go to the Mosaic desk to get my ticket printed (even if not checking a bag) they will always give me an EMS seat if one is available. When I connect through Boston a gate agent will almost always change my seat. Based on that, I would assume the focus cities are best for this, but...

At FLL and LGB I've never had them give me an EMS seat at check-in (at Mosaic counter) or at gate on flights where the seats are available. Also, no luck at ORD/CHS/BUF/etc, but given those aren't focus cities I don't expect it.

Generally, on flights over 3 hours I'll just use points to guarantee I get the seat and for flights less than 3 hours I'm happy if I get it and not concerned if I don't.
I'm looking at JFK-SEA RT, the outbound looks on the full side so was debating using the points there to lock it in, while trying for the free upgrade on the inbound. Do you think that makes sense?
Old May 16, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AGR Select Exec, MR Plat, B6 Mosaic, UA Silver
I'm looking at JFK-SEA RT, the outbound looks on the full side so was debating using the points there to lock it in, while trying for the free upgrade on the inbound. Do you think that makes sense?
Conceptually, but if the return is SEA-JFK I don't have a sense for how likely the SEA team is to give you EMS for free. So you risk there being open seats, but then not getting it.

In your situation I would go ahead and use points both ways. Points for EMS is such a good value. I'm tall (6'2") so there's a big difference to me in EMS vs. E for 5+ hours.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
I wouldn't risk it to save 1000 points
Old May 16, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I think it depends how long your legs are, tbh. I find Jetblue normal economy to be a good enough product.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:00 am

I flew out of JFK this past Saturday on a 7AM JFK-SFO flight and was surprised to find out at the gate that my companion and I had been upgraded to Mint class from our purchased EMS seats. When we were going thru security the JetBlue app had popped up a notification of a seat change but I figured they had simply moved us from our seats in 6A/B to the two aisle seats on that row. I had printed out paper boarding passes with the old seats so when the gate agent tried to scan my pass it failed and she gave us new passes with mint seats. The flight was full and the night before I had seen 3 mint seats still opened so I guess in order to get 2 other economy guest on the flight they upgraded us due to my Mosaic status. This is probably highly unlikely to happen again as I've flown transcon multiple times with empty seats in mint and never had received an upgrade. Either way my traveling companion and I were extremely happy to get to spend 6 hours in mint.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by FTNNBP
I flew out of JFK this past Saturday on a 7AM JFK-SFO flight and was surprised to find out at the gate that my companion and I had been upgraded to Mint class from our purchased EMS seats. When we were going thru security the JetBlue app had popped up a notification of a seat change but I figured they had simply moved us from our seats in 6A/B to the two aisle seats on that row. I had printed out paper boarding passes with the old seats so when the gate agent tried to scan my pass it failed and she gave us new passes with mint seats. The flight was full and the night before I had seen 3 mint seats still opened so I guess in order to get 2 other economy guest on the flight they upgraded us due to my Mosaic status. This is probably highly unlikely to happen again as I've flown transcon multiple times with empty seats in mint and never had received an upgrade. Either way my traveling companion and I were extremely happy to get to spend 6 hours in mint.
Congrats!

That's a heck of a nice surprise.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:57 pm

BOS-LAX

2 open mint seats right now, they're still offering at $500/seat to upgrade.
Old May 30, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Unless Core is full with standbys waiting to get on, they won't op-up anyone to Mint.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by diburning
Unless Core is full with standbys waiting to get on, they won't op-up anyone to Mint.
Even with standbys, they won't op-up. Only in an overbooking situation will B6 upgrade anyone. I've seen plenty of standbys turned away and had Mint go out with 2+ empty seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.