New boarding announcement?

Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
New boarding announcement?

I flew out of JFK yesterday and back today. When my flight started boarding yesterday, they called wheelchair passengers (not preboards) followed by Mosaics followed by EMS and then passengers with small children. I've never seen that before on B6. Usually, they call preboards/wheelchairs, kids under 2 then Mosaics.

I wasn't able to compare today as I got to the airport and was told the earlier flight was boarding and they were putting me on standby for it. So I was last to board.

Has anyone else heard this new style of boarding announcement or was that a one off situation yesterday? I kind of liked it as it is very similar to what WN does and their process is very efficient.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Must have been a one-off. Flew on Friday the 17th and Saturday the 18th. Both times they boarded preboards first, families with kids under 2, then Mosaics.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, B6 Mosaic, Hertz President's
Originally Posted by diburning
Must have been a one-off. Flew on Friday the 17th and Saturday the 18th. Both times they boarded preboards first, families with kids under 2, then Mosaics.

I've never seen them, and I'm with JB at least twice a week for 3 years...it's always been:
1. Extra Time or Assistance
2. Mosaics
3. EMS Seats
4. Children Under 2, Military
5. General Boarding

I've never had families with kids under 2 get on before me, maybe it's airport specific? I'm typically BOS, EWR, BWI, ORD, MCO, TPA, or ORH.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:31 pm

Preboards and families were bundled together at both BOS and DCA last week. I had EMS seats so I definitely witnessed the families with children boarding before me.

At DCA it was understandable. They knew that they had no preboards, no families with children, and only one Mosaic on that flight, so they mashed them all together into one boarding group. At BOS, I'm not sure why preboards and families were called first.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

LAX boarding this morning was:
1) Mint
2) Mosaic/EMS
3) Extra time/Families
4) Rows 25-29
5) Rows 20-29
6) Rows 15-29

I boarded at this point but presume that the next call was all rows as 6-9 are EMS from what I recall.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: Free agent
I've had no issue walking up as soon as they begin any boarding announcement and going on immediately as a Mosaic. YMMV with EMS.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
LAX boarding this morning was:
1) Mint
2) Mosaic/EMS
3) Extra time/Families
4) Rows 25-29
5) Rows 20-29
6) Rows 15-29

I boarded at this point but presume that the next call was all rows as 6-9 are EMS from what I recall.
Wow Mint before Mosaic? At JFK, I typically hear them bundled together. Though I guess boarding Mint first is consistent with the legacies.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BJRys
I've never seen them, and I'm with JB at least twice a week for 3 years...it's always been:
1. Extra Time or Assistance
2. Mosaics
3. EMS Seats
4. Children Under 2, Military
5. General Boarding

I've never had families with kids under 2 get on before me, maybe it's airport specific? I'm typically BOS, EWR, BWI, ORD, MCO, TPA, or ORH.
At JFK, it's typically

Extra Time/Children under 2/Military
Mosaic (sometimes bundled with EMS)
EMS
General Boarding

I've flown out of LGB twice this year and there is a particular female GA there that is extremely stringent about making sure all preboards/small children/military get on first before any Mosaics. She actually gave me dirty looks both times I was there and walked up for Mosaic boarding. I boarded after the 2nd GA called Mosaics and she still gave me a look as if I didn't belong there or something and questioned the other GA right in front me asking who he as boarding. Happened almost the same way both times I left LGB 5 months apart. Same GA.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by RWPrincess
Wow Mint before Mosaic? At JFK, I typically hear them bundled together. Though I guess boarding Mint first is consistent with the legacies.
At LAX, Mint will board first, before anyone else including Mosaics. The boarding order is programmed into the computer (and displays the boarding group on the screen), and the GA hits a button to advance to the next boarding group
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: True Blue Mosaic,Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by diburning
At LAX, Mint will board first, before anyone else including Mosaics. The boarding order is programmed into the computer (and displays the boarding group on the screen), and the GA hits a button to advance to the next boarding group
I fly out of LAX monthly and they typically bundle Mint/Mosaic together.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:38 am

Programs: GE
What does "need a little extra time" even mean?

Could it apply to a senior (say 70+) who doesn't need wheelchair assistance, but only wants to take a few minutes extra to get into their seat without holding up a huge line of people? Assuming little or no overhead use, for fairness comparison.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by bbtrvl

Could it apply to a senior (say 70+) who doesn't need wheelchair assistance, but only wants to take a few minutes extra to get into their seat without holding up a huge line of people? Assuming little or no overhead use, for fairness comparison.
Yes.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by bbtrvl

Why can't those people just board last? FC/Mint and Mosaic should be boarding first on every flight.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:11 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Respect?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Respect?
I would say the ones who drop $20,000+ a year on tickets with that one particular airline deserve a little more respect. I respect your opinion, though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.