Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to Mint closer to flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent

I've got a wedding in Monterrey in October and I need to book my flights JFK->SFO fairly soon to lock in a seat.

My question is:

I'm slated for a bonus in the interim period (Possibly) and was going to treat myself to another lovely Mint experience. What are the rules governing upgrades from base fare (Basic Blue, non-ref) to Mint? Is it just fare difference? I'm a Mosaic member if that makes any difference.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
I've got a wedding in Monterrey in October and I need to book my flights JFK->SFO fairly soon to lock in a seat.

My question is:

I'm slated for a bonus in the interim period (Possibly) and was going to treat myself to another lovely Mint experience. What are the rules governing upgrades from base fare (Basic Blue, non-ref) to Mint? Is it just fare difference? I'm a Mosaic member if that makes any difference.
Mosaics don't pay any change fee. You just pay any fare difference.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Awesome, thanks for the prompt answer.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is it just fare difference?
Yes, even if not Mosaic.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

I double-checked the prices today and every flight is now $1,199 for a 10/6/2016 departure in Mint. They were between $599-$999 about 2 weeks ago. Is it common for the price to jump this far out? I'm definitely going to stick with my previously purchased seat and probably just upgrade to EMS with points.

EDIT: A quick dummy booking reveals two seats (3C and 3D) booked on one of the flights. Would that trigger a broad price increase?

EDIT2: I'm getting 3 different prices from different browsers. I hate their website.

Last edited by MSYtoJFKagain; Jun 20, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:38 am
Suspended

I'm new to JetBlue and maybe there are booking tricks of which I'm unaware, but I've noticed what seem to be big Mint price increases over the past week for travel in June/July/August. There were some scattered deals on various routes I checked, but they're all gone. I haven't seen a single three-digit price for a Mint flight in days.

(Update: Checking again, two hours after posting the above, I'm seeing some fairly good Mint fares from LAX to JFK in July.)

Last edited by jsk1973; Jun 21, 2016 at 2:41 am
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:43 am
Original Poster

This is entirely a website problem. I confirmed with a rep via phone that the flights are still $599-$899 for the most part. All of their results in Kayak and other search engines are showing incorrectly as well.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
FWIW, I've been price checking for Labor Day weekend for a while now. JFK-LAX/LGB

At one point it was well over $500 on all airlines. A couple weeks ago I caught it below $400 and grabbed it immediately. I'm not sure if that was a glitch or just pure luck but seems like a big price discrepancy since they're back in the $500 range now. I'm flying JFK-LAX and then LGB-JFK. All EMS seats.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RWPrincess
FWIW, I've been price checking for Labor Day weekend for a while now. JFK-LAX/LGB

At one point it was well over $500 on all airlines. A couple weeks ago I caught it below $400 and grabbed it immediately. I'm not sure if that was a glitch or just pure luck but seems like a big price discrepancy since they're back in the $500 range now. I'm flying JFK-LAX and then LGB-JFK. All EMS seats.
Their website is to blame for almost all the issues I've seen. 400-500 for LBDW sounds about right. I've already booked my RT JFK->SFO in regular seats and am going to splurge for the Mint upgrade on the way out. EMS on the way back with points.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: True Blue Mosaic,Elevate Gold
Their website is to blame for almost all the issues I've seen. 400-500 for LBDW sounds about right. I've already booked my RT JFK->SFO in regular seats and am going to splurge for the Mint upgrade on the way out. EMS on the way back with points.
If there are mint seats available before boarding, you can purchase an upgrade at the gate for $499, regardless of the current fare.

However, you are taking the chance that no mint seats are available by the time you get to the gate.

I have done it twice.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:19 am
Original Poster

499 minus current fare or a 499 upgrade fee?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:29 pm

499 minus current fare or a 499 upgrade fee?
$499 upgrade fee.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Suppose s/he paid $199 for the the Y fare in June, and by August the Y fare jumps to $399, but Mint remains at $599. The upgrade price in August is $400 ($599-$199), not $200 ($599-$399), correct?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by milypan
Suppose s/he paid $199 for the the Y fare in June, and by August the Y fare jumps to $399, but Mint remains at $599. The upgrade price in August is $400 ($599-$199), not $200 ($599-$399), correct?
That is correct if you are mosaic and do not have a change fee.

This is correct if you are doing the change prior to getting to the airport.

However it is rare that a mint seat stays at $599 that close to the day of flying.

On the day of flying at the airport, the upgrade cost is a flat $499, regardless of what Y fare you paid and what regardless of what the current Mint fare is.

So if s/he paid $199 for the Y fare and on the day of flying Mint costs $1299, the upgrade at the airport gate costs not $499, not $1,100.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

I understand now, thanks for clarifying.

I booked Mint on the way out already as I confirmed my bonus earlier than expected.

Sitting in 2A on the way out, quite excited for the experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.