Should JetBlue now buy AS?

Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Should JetBlue now buy AS?

chime in.

What would the valuation of B6/AS/VX look like?
Who would fund the merge?
Does the route structure/hub comparisons seem attractive?
Can B6 survive without merging?
Thoughts?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:53 pm

Sounds like a nightmare for three airlines to merge at the same time.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

One of the main reasons AS acted was to position itself to not be a takeover target. No way this happens now.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:22 pm

Maybe AS will buy B6 instead once they're done digesting VX?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Snowdevil
Maybe AS will buy B6 instead once they're done digesting VX?
B6 will be America's last remaining 4-star airline. I hope that they remain independent.

If AS ups its game from 3-star territory, I might feel differently.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
AS is too rich for airlines

AS has always been sought as a merger target by the majors NW, DL, and AA, but AS was always too expensive for the size. AS is a smart airline with deep pockets, great balance sheet, high stock value and many customer following.

I could see B6 as a potential future marketing partner but doubtful B6 is able to afford Pre and post merger Alaska.

Jiburi
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I don't think Jetblue could afford to buy Alaska (who has a higher market cap than Jetblue)
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Not to mention the fact that AS brings very little to JetBlue. How many airlines have bought a CA based carrier and ended up completely dismantling the network and having little to show for it? Pretty much every single one. We will see what remains of the current VX network after the dust settles in a few years.

One of the few success stories in building up a CA based business was WN and they did it without buying another carrier. This approach will be far less costly for B6 than overpaying for VX.

JetBlue is already the price leader in the premium transcon markets and has disrupted things there. Bringing some more innovation and now having money to carry out the cabin refresh (hopefully sooner than later) should give them a good, competitive product.

Things with AS may be a bit ugly as the acquisition moves along and VX fliers may well look elsewhere as the VX experience disappears. AS comes across as being more conservative and blah. Don't know how they will fare with the VX crowd.

We will see what B6 comes up with as the year progresses.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
We have bigger and better plans
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by cyber1k
chime in.

What would the valuation of B6/AS/VX look like?
Who would fund the merge?
Does the route structure/hub comparisons seem attractive?
Can B6 survive without merging?
Thoughts?
I certainly hope so!

I really like B6 from JFK (SFO not so much because of having to leave from Intl A) to SFO from T5 and complimentary lounge access for Amex cardholders. The Mint product is really nice and one of the best value propositions, IMO.

Also, with the new Barclays CC at 6 pts + FF pts, at 1.4 cpp, I'd rather spend on B6 than the other carriers, now that VX will be history soon.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
I certainly hope so!

I really like B6 from JFK (SFO not so much because of having to leave from Intl A) to SFO from T5 and complimentary lounge access for Amex cardholders. The Mint product is really nice and one of the best value propositions, IMO.

Also, with the new Barclays CC at 6 pts + FF pts, at 1.4 cpp, I'd rather spend on B6 than the other carriers, now that VX will be history soon.
+1. Here will be the ideal outcome, selfishly I admit.

1. If DOJ approves AS+VX merger, make them divest LAX and SFO slots to... B6. Expand MINT (hope there are enough MINT A321 deliveries in the future to expand both JFK and BOS!). Expand West Coast if possible.

2. Refit every non-MINT flight with 6 F seats in E190 (could live without F here) and more importantly 8 F seats in A320 and A321 (non-MINT) with VX-like F seats, and give the customers the VX experience, in F and in coach too. B6 has already planned to add new (coach) seats, and with that small number of F seats, I think it will work. For the VX experience in F, no free upgrades (which is not a big deal for B6, which even charges elites for EMS).

One can dream, right?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:18 pm

delete please, duplicate
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by radiowell
One can dream, right?
LOL...yeah!

Jokes aside, initially, I thought B6 was a joke; a wannabe WN/Frontier carrier looking to profit on the lowest common denominator experience.

Then, I experienced their Mint class. Then, I noticed JFK devoted an entire T to them. Then, I noticed there's a lounge in JFK T5 with complimentary Amex access. Then, I noticed a CC earning 6 pts in addition to FF points with the potential to earn Mosaic without having to fly a Million miles.

All I have to do is spend money to fly on an transcon F class that isn't watered down, given away for free, and all at a lower price point than the Legacies?

Ok, you've got a deal, where do I sign?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
B6 will be America's last remaining 4-star airline. I hope that they remain independent.

If AS ups its game from 3-star territory, I might feel differently.
It amazes me how people believe Skytrax's ratings. I find B6's planes to be quite filthy for the most part, IFE malfunctions constantly, some crews can be just as rude as those of legacy airlines, and overall, offering blue chips doesn't make them a 4-star airline.

I do like the Mint product, but that's only offered on a few routes.

As B6 adds seats to its aircraft fleet and no longer offers complimentary checked luggage, they resemble 3-star airlines more and more.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
I do like the Mint product, but that's only offered on a few routes.
I've yet to try their non-Mint product, but will on some SFO - LAS routes.

For shorter flights, regular coach is fine, for me anyway. While I prefer Mint on the transcons, it really isn't all that important on shorter routes. Where I'm going to miss VX is their revenue based points at around 2.3 cpp to redeem the SFO - LAS route, which I fly around 10x per year. Utilizing their CC and FF with 8 pts rebate, all my LAS flights are free.

Now, with VX gone, it's the same strategy with B6 that is particularly appealing. With their 6X CC pts & true blue, after a few Mint transcons, most of my SFO - LAS flights will again be free. Moreover, I can always round up with MR transfers, especially when there's a bonus. For this purpose, the revenue fixed pt system works best for me.

Now, the only issue with B6 is having to fly out of Intl A. But, as they say, necessity makes even the timid brave.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.