Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue introduces three fare options - including checked bag fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue introduces three fare options - including checked bag fees

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Just booked my first flight since the bag fees went into effect and I have to say they make it clear both with the chart and the popovers that make you confirm.

Luckily enough for me on this pairing (JFK/ROC), checked bag fee was still cheaper than the the next level. Like that I can decide when I pack vs. spending more now and maybe not needing.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
Originally Posted by FLIHGH
You will not be charged for a first checked bag, and your seats will be the same as they currently are--lots and lots and lots of legroom. If youre on a 320, it'll have free Fly Fi as well.
I also emailed Jet Blue and they told me the same as you. I will have Blue Plus seats and one bag not to exceed 50 pounds is allowed per traveler. Going to keep that email with me at check in.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by FLIHGH
You will not be charged for a first checked bag, and your seats will be the same as they currently are--lots and lots and lots of legroom. If youre on a 320, it'll have free Fly Fi as well.
I also had the same question. Prior to the change, my parents bought tickets LAS-FLL-SJU roundtrip for Christmas. They don't fly much, and I told them to go on B6 since they could get a free bag, plus TV/wifi (for my younger brother to stay occupied). They also happened to be cheaper than anyone else and had a better connection. Where can I find something that clearly states they won't have to pay fees because they purchased their tickets prior to the change? Everything I find on the website just talks about the fees which are now in effect, and some of the news articles even sound like it applies to anyone regardless. In the mean time, I'll have my parents look through their confirmation emails to see if there's any language confirming the free bags. Since I won't be at the airport with them, and by December there probably will be very few people who still have tickets booked prior to the changes, so I want them to be adequately armed in the even someone tries to charge them, either in LAS or in SJU on the return.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
Where can I find something that clearly states they won't have to pay fees because they purchased their tickets prior to the change?
The easiest way I know of is to view the receipt (click on each person's name when viewing the reservation and they'll pull up individually). It will say # of bags included...then you can print out and bring with you to airport, if concerned.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by moulder3
The easiest way I know of is to view the receipt (click on each person's name when viewing the reservation and they'll pull up individually). It will say # of bags included...then you can print out and bring with you to airport, if concerned.
Perfect, thanks. I wasn't sure what the B6 recepits looked like. I'll have them look it up and print/screenshot that info. ^
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:43 pm

Programs: B6, AA, AS
Prior to the change, ....
Free bags.

Does the bag fee even apply to the Caribbean? (International)

What about US Territory's? (PR)

TIA

ETA; US Territories are free checked bags. Same as Domestic AFAIK

But weird rules apply outside the US PR; http://www.jetblue.com/travel/baggage/

Last edited by DrewBr; Jul 17, 2015 at 11:56 pm
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:51 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
The new bag scheme seems to like to ignore Mint as if it were a redheaded stepchild.

Am I correct in assuming that the two free bags for Mint still have a weight limit of 50lbs? I've looked at the website and didn't see anything on it. On other airlines, the weight limit for checked bags in F is 70lbs.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DrewBr
There are 10 markets where the 1st bag remains free.

Originally Posted by diburning
The new bag scheme seems to like to ignore Mint as if it were a redheaded stepchild.
By not changing the rules there? I'd say that's good to ignore.

Originally Posted by diburning
Am I correct in assuming that the two free bags for Mint still have a weight limit of 50lbs? I've looked at the website and didn't see anything on it. On other airlines, the weight limit for checked bags in F is 70lbs.
Yes, only 50# for the bags. AA, DL & UA allow 70# for F passengers; AS & VX do not.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 3:50 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by audio-nut
How are they more expensive? They are finally pricing at parity for people who travel without bags and they are still less for those that do (and have no access to free bags via some other method).
ding ding ding!

You know alot of us (like me) try to do one bag... and dont need a checked bag

having said that, I do feel for those that are required to check... now only WN is the one without fees (even though they are built in imo)
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:43 am

Free bags.

What about US Territory's? (PR)

TIA

ETA; US Territories are free checked bags. Same as Domestic AFAIK

But weird rules apply outside the US PR; http://www.jetblue.com/travel/baggage/
Originally Posted by sbm12
There are 10 markets where the 1st bag remains free.
I did double check, to help calm my parents' nerves. Tested three Caribbean destinations: BDA, SJU, SXM. They all have the lowest "Blue" fare that includes no checked bag. So it appears that B6 treats Caribbean destinations like the other airlines: it's out of the country, but service and baggage rules are like domestic flights.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:32 pm

I did double check, to help calm my parents' nerves. Tested three Caribbean destinations: BDA, SJU, SXM. They all have the lowest "Blue" fare that includes no checked bag. So it appears that B6 treats Caribbean destinations like the other airlines: it's out of the country, but service and baggage rules are like domestic flights.
Not really. The 10 exempt destinations are:
  • Santo Domingo
  • Santiago
  • Port-au-Prince
  • Port of Spain
  • Kingston
  • Cartagena
  • Medellin
  • Bogota
  • Lima
  • Mexico City
Five of those are Caribbean island destinations. It is a decision made based on competitive pressures, not on geography of the airport.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Since the little green luggage tag actually works, ime, getting bags out quickly, I've had to remind the agent gently on the last two trips in the past two weeks to please apply them to the checked luggage at BOS. Just FYI, you really have to watch them. Not surprising though when probably one of every three people in that line is actually Mosaic and/or connecting to Mint.

Last edited by CHOPCHOP767; Jul 24, 2015 at 1:37 pm Reason: spelling Mosaic
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: B6, AA, AS
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
... probably one of every three people in that line [BOS] is actually Mosaic and/or connecting to Mint.
If this is true, I need to buy more JBLU paper.

Do others feel the same? BOS is 1/3 Mosaic ? ? ?
If so, B6 is doing something right. @:-)

Does B6 truly have a lead at BOS? Does 1/3 mean a lead at BOS?

Does this rule apply at other ports? DCA, JFK, FLL, etc?

Their plan may have legs after all, regardless of the recently introduced fare classes, separating checked bag fees, and whatnot.

ETA; Go B6 ^

We are bias too. 1/2 our flights are with B6, so , ......

Last edited by DrewBr; Jul 24, 2015 at 10:48 pm
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:30 am

BOS has a very, very strong population of Mosaic passengers. More than NYC did, at least at one point last year when I was privy to some data.

Probably not a third of all passengers there, but it is a sizable group.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards
If this is true, I need to buy more JBLU paper.

Do others feel the same? BOS is 1/3 Mosaic ? ? ?
If so, B6 is doing something right. @:-)

Does B6 truly have a lead at BOS? Does 1/3 mean a lead at BOS?

Does this rule apply at other ports? DCA, JFK, FLL, etc?

Their plan may have legs after all, regardless of the recently introduced fare classes, separating checked bag fees, and whatnot.

ETA; Go B6 ^

We are bias too. 1/2 our flights are with B6, so , ......
Since JetBlue doesn't connect DCA with JFK, I'm going to assume that they dont get many DCA Mosaic passengers IAD could work, though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.