Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1st Bag Fees..Maybe Soon?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

1st Bag Fees..Maybe Soon?

Just was told by a relative who is a lead screener at our local airport that JetBlue has a sign up as of today that 1st bag fees are beginning June 28th.

I've asked her to clarify and take a picture when she goes to work in the morning as she only glanced at it on her way getting off today.

Anyone with insight or have seen anything similar? I thought this wasn't being implemented until next year and I assume any bookings made prior and flown after will follow the original rules in place?
Old May 24, 2015, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It will not take effect on previously booked tickets. And, while "Q2" is what they've been saying for a while now there are scant few details on the exact date of the new fare families going live. Once they do, however, tickets purchased at that point will get the new rule, including potentially bag fees.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DOT rules on bag fees are clear. They can't be raised post purchase. The allowance printed on your e-ticket receipt remains your allowance.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: TrueBlue
That'll be when they extend the schedules to include the RETURN dates from my January trip to Florida and Puerto Rico. Right now I only have the tickets TO Florida. I guess I'll have bag fees on the 2nd and 3rd legs.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
DOT rules on bag fees are clear. They can't be raised post purchase. The allowance printed on your e-ticket receipt remains your allowance.
Between April 21 and April 28 the Free bag text was removed from the website.

http://web.archive.org/web/201504210...ravel/baggage/

It use to have the text 'Your first checked bag is free*.' and 1 Free checked bag in large print on the right with all the numbers.
So it looks like any ticket purchased after April 21 is going to be subject to the new baggage fee.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:25 pm

The confirmation email for a ticket I purchased today still has the free bag text in the fine print.

Domestic JetBlue flights - JetBlue allows one free checked bag, subject to size/weight restrictions. For flights booked on or after May 21st, 2014 a $50.00 fee applies to a second checked bag ($40.00 for flights booked before May 21, 2014) and a $100 fee applies to a third checked bag ($75 for flights booked before May 21, 2014),
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:58 pm
Suspended

I don't think it will be quiet when they release what the fees are. The interesting thing will be how much it will cost.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
Originally Posted by airplanegod
I don't think it will be quiet when they release what the fees are. The interesting thing will be how much it will cost.
If B6 wanted to stay consumer friendly and keep the large majority of NE leisure travel, they would start their bag charge at $10. Undercut the competition.. I mean how much does it really cost an airline (in fuel) to transport a 30 lbs bag (on top of the profit they already made on my ticket)
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Well the website is making it clear today that there is still one free bag... so if you book today (or any day in the past) you're in the clear. Website is here:

http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN...8,Case=obj(634)
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Hachima
So it looks like any ticket purchased after April 21 is going to be subject to the new baggage fee.
No. Not at all. Until it is explicitly disclosed as such during the booking process there is no fee. The DoT rules on this are very, very clear.
Originally Posted by rpk113
If B6 wanted to stay consumer friendly and keep the large majority of NE leisure travel, they would start their bag charge at $10. Undercut the competition.. I mean how much does it really cost an airline (in fuel) to transport a 30 lbs bag (on top of the profit they already made on my ticket)
It has nothing to do with the cost of providing the service and everything to do with maximizing profits.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
Originally Posted by sbm12
It has nothing to do with the cost of providing the service and everything to do with maximizing profits.
Agree on the profits, but i think there is a "brand" that B6 needs to retain as well. If you put the bag fees lower, you keep the brand. If you match the bag fees, your just every other airline.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rpk113
Agree on the profits, but i think there is a "brand" that B6 needs to retain as well. If you put the bag fees lower, you keep the brand. If you match the bag fees, your just every other airline.
That's how I feel about this. With the free bag and nonstop flights, Jetblue is mine and a lot of other people's first choice. Take away the free bag, i'm either going to Southwest or i'm going to book DL/AA/UA/AS/VX if they're the same price/cheaper or have a better schedule.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Can't agree more, although I'm not too optimistic. I'm burning off a lot of my TB points in case they make a hash out of this.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Good thread. I don't fly JetBlue often due to my hub, but when I do, one reason is the free bag.

It was a little difficult and not transparent/apparent if the 1st checked bag was still free. They definitely don't seem to me marketing that fact anymore very well ... and the reason is probably bc they are about to impose a 1st bag fee.

Too bad.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: SPG: Platinum
I was just looking at PDX - LGB and there was no mention of free bags and no mention of bag fees.

Pretty confusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.