Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Mosaic Benefits RE New Fare Options Email

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB

Just received from B6 via email:

Dear XXXX,

This year we’re introducing some new changes to the JetBlue experience – updates to our aircraft and new ways for customers to tailor their travel. We’re excited about these changes, but we’re also excited about the things that are staying the same – like all of your beloved Mosaic benefits.

As some of our most valued customers, it’s important to keep you in-the-know. Our different fare options will be based on the number of checked bags included, TrueBlue bonus points earned and change/cancel fees. As a Mosaic member, you’ll be able to choose any fare option and still enjoy checking your first and second bag free*. Plus, you’ll still earn 3 additional bonus TrueBlue points with every booking. All other Mosaic benefits stay as-is – including no change/cancel fees.

I guess it's nice to retain the option of picking the cheapest fare and still have free checked bags and no cancellations fees. A more detailed time-line for the roll-out of the new pricing would have been great, but I suppose its largely irrelevant for Mosaics. Still no mention of further tiering of Mosaic, perhaps to include more benefits, which is something I would think could improve the True Blue program immensely.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
A more detailed time-line for the roll-out of the new pricing would have been great, but I suppose its largely irrelevant for Mosaics.
I don't think they have a firm timeline for that yet.

Still no mention of further tiering of Mosaic, perhaps to include more benefits, which is something I would think could improve the True Blue program immensely.
I doubt this is in the cards any time soon. Not enough people to work with and not enough other benefits to add, I don't think.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
I doubt this is in the cards any time soon. Not enough people to work with and not enough other benefits to add, I don't think.
Thanks for your consideration of the proposal, sbm12. I realize that B6 is new to the FF realm, when compared with the legacies, but I hope they're considering it. Especially with the introduction of mint and well, fares being what they are between certain city pairs, B6 has FFs who hit the qualification within 2, 3, maybe 4 months. I wouldn't consider myself a very FF with them, but I requalified about a month ago for Mosaic in 2016. I'm wondering with FFs who hit say double or triple the qualification, if a business, or even loyalty case could be made for bigger discounts on EMS or even upgrades instruments for mint.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
you’ll still earn 3 additional bonus TrueBlue points with every booking.
Is anyone else concerned about what could be an invisible devaluation in TrueBlue? Since it only says Mosaic members will continue to get "3 additional points" (without clarifying that everyone will still get 6 base points if booked at jetblue.com) what if they price the categories something like this:

Option A: one-way flight + no bags @ 6 TB points/dollar= $199
Option B: one-way flight + 1 bag @ 8 TB points/dollar= $225
Option C: one-way flight + 2 bags @ 10 TB points/dollar = $240

I could see JetBlue doing something like this to try and say, "yeah we know everyone hates bag fees, so this pricing structure really shows that you're still not paying for bags--just paying for more points, while still getting free bags!"

Obviously, if they implemented something like this, they'll flood the market with points while simultaneously devaluing Mosaic since option C would be great for many customers yet it would mean they'd be getting more points than a Mosaic member that would always take the cheapest option.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by moulder3
Is anyone else concerned about what could be an invisible devaluation in TrueBlue? Since it only says Mosaic members will continue to get "3 additional points" (without clarifying that everyone will still get 6 base points if booked at jetblue.com) what if they price the categories something like this:

I could see JetBlue doing something like this to try and say, "yeah we know everyone hates bag fees, so this pricing structure really shows that you're still not paying for bags--just paying for more points, while still getting free bags!"

Obviously, if they implemented something like this, they'll flood the market with points while simultaneously devaluing Mosaic since option C would be great for many customers yet it would mean they'd be getting more points than a Mosaic member that would always take the cheapest option.
I highly doubt it'll result in more TB points for higher fares. Almost definitely it means fewer TB points for lower fares.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by tkey75
I highly doubt it'll result in more TB points for higher fares. Almost definitely it means fewer TB points for lower fares.
Good point--that could also be the change. But either way it means that Mosaic members (choosing the lowest fare, since they already get free baggage allowance) will be at a disadvantage, point-wise. Effectively, any change to JetBlue's current point structure will effectively be a devaluation of the benefits for Mosaic--which already has the weakest benefits as an elite program by a wide margin.

Last edited by moulder3; Apr 16, 2015 at 4:34 pm
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I think that B6 should offer at least EMS upgrades and free drinks for Mosaic members to be competetive with legacys giving out first class.

However, they have a strong benefit with the no change and cancel fee benefit for Mosaic. This benefit could easily save you $500, $1,000 or more per year, and it affords the Mosaic a great deal of flexibility.
The peace of mind that the flexibility gives us is priceless.
Even as a UA 1K or AA Exec Plat or DL Diamond Medallionyou are boxed in with $200 change fees. This makes it difficult to spontaneously change your plans.
The ability to spontaneously change plans is a 10 out of 10 for me in terms of importance, but I know there are those of you that don't feel trapped or boxed in if you have to stick with the dates that you book, etc. etc. ha

The Fly Fee Free is really to me the only important Mosaic benefit, and without it Mosaic would be nothing!
There are lots of annoyances with JetBlue, but they really did something right with this Fly Fee Free benefit. I think its the best innovation in frequent flyer programs in the past 10 or 20 years.
Old May 1, 2015, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by jetsetter
I think its the best innovation in frequent flyer programs in the past 10 or 20 years.
AS offers the same and has for a while. :-:

Originally Posted by tkey75
I'll take that action. I bet you're wrong.
Old May 4, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
When Do You Think B6 Will Announce the New Fare Families?

It may be also that the higher fares come with a reduced change fee for non Mosaic passengers?
I would also like to see the ability in the iOS app to do same day changes without having to call JetBlue.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:00 pm

I would also like to see the ability in the iOS app to do same day changes without having to call JetBlue.
This is separate from the fare families issue and I'd bet against it coming too soon based on what I know of the company's IT systems and priorities.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

I think that B6 should offer at least EMS upgrades and free drinks for Mosaic members to be competetive with legacys giving out first class.
Last night, the FA asked if I was Mosaic when she came by with the credit card reader because I was seated in row 2 on an 190 and she said she had noticed that I boarded early. When I said yes, she said, 'oh well, then your drink is on me'. I'm wondering if they're bringing back the free drink for the summer like last year or if this was just a nice gesture. I think the promotion started last year around Memorial Day. Super friendly crew, in general ^
Old May 18, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: Free agent
Last night, the FA asked if I was Mosaic when she came by with the credit card reader because I was seated in row 2 on an 190 and she said she had noticed that I boarded early. When I said yes, she said, 'oh well, then your drink is on me'. I'm wondering if they're bringing back the free drink for the summer like last year or if this was just a nice gesture. I think the promotion started last year around Memorial Day. Super friendly crew, in general ^
I find that most of my drinks are comped, even if they take my card. YMMV though because I know other Mosaic customers that pay for every drink. Might be route-based for me because I know most of the FA's.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:51 am

Hate to say it, but it looks like I was right. New fares offer 3, 4 & 5 'online booking points' yielding 6, 7 & 8 points per dollar vs. Mosaic 9 points:
http://www.jetblue.com/travel/our-fares/

Now watch as the shadow points devaluation begins since more points will be floating out there. Also, what is JetBlue thinking giving 'Blue Flex' customers basically the same # of points as Mosaic? Mosaic only had 3 benefits before today:
1. free airport priority service
2. no change/cancel fees
3. extra points for flying (meanwhile every legacy gives 100% point bonus to elites...while JetBlue only gave 50% to begin with)

...now it's down to 2 benefits. Bye bye JetBlue, I can't believe a (historically) customer-focused airline would ruin their (already weak) Mosaic program with a change like this...

Last edited by moulder3; Jun 30, 2015 at 6:56 am
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:44 am

Also, what is JetBlue thinking giving 'Blue Flex' customers basically the same # of points as Mosaic?
That a customer paying $100 a pop to get the equivalent level of service as Mosaic passengers is a customer worth attracting.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12
That a customer paying $100 a pop to get the equivalent level of service as Mosaic passengers is a customer worth attracting.
Exactly--and it makes Mosaic even more valuable as you get the same benefits but pay $100 less and if you really want the extra points you can pay a higher fare. Don't see the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.