Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue Flight 191 Pilot sues Airline

Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...n-sues-airline
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Put me on the jury and this guy gets ZERO $. He is lucky he is not in jail.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:46 pm
HMO

The sad thing? Soon others will follow him...
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by HMO
The sad thing? Soon others will follow him...
Only in America!

This pilot needs proper psychological treatment. That is it.

Zero money, if I am on the jury! Take a look at the video of this guy, the passengers had to hold him down. That is JetBlue's problem?

Perhaps JetBlue needs to VET their employees better. This is not the first time.
JetBlue needs to lawyer up and give this guy zero. The pilot says his name was smeared in the media. Who caused that?
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Only with American legal system- take it on contingency and hope the insurance company settles to send you away.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:57 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Maybe JetBlue could settle this dispute by admitting that they should have nipped this problem in the bud by not hiring him.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:57 pm

Lightbulb

Did some of the preceding posters even read the linked article?!?!

The guy is suing because he feels the airline should have easily spotted that he was not fit to fly (appearance, demeanour, disorientation, missed pre-flight briefing all allegedly indicating that something was wrong). He is not arguing that he was fit to fly.

It is irrelevant how many people it took to hold him down. As to the compensation... If the airline is shown to have been negligent by allowing him to fly that day... he and all others on board may be rightly entitled.

If the pilot has good evidence, this will be interesting to watch.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:04 am

By the way, in the Germanwings case, I am sure the French prosecutor will be looking at airport surveillance to observe the first officer's pre-flight behaviour. Depending on what - if anything - shows up in these tapes, the criminal responsibility and civil liability issues might surface there as well (e.g. against the airline, the airport, individuals).
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:10 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Please delete

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Mar 29, 2015 at 2:30 am Reason: Forgot to post the response!! Now can't be bothered posting response :P
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Prem Exec, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by blue2002
Did some of the preceding posters even read the linked article?!?!

The guy is suing because he feels the airline should have easily spotted that he was not fit to fly (appearance, demeanour, disorientation, missed pre-flight briefing all allegedly indicating that something was wrong). He is not arguing that he was fit to fly.

It is irrelevant how many people it took to hold him down. As to the compensation... If the airline is shown to have been negligent by allowing him to fly that day... he and all others on board may be rightly entitled.

If the pilot has good evidence, this will be interesting to watch.
In my opinion this is a shameless effort to profit off a terrible tragedy (grant it, he appears to have filed on the last day of eligibility so I concede it also could be an unfortunate coincidence).

While I understand what you are saying blue2002 (or paraphrasing from the article), does that really make sense? Should your employer send you to a pysch eval if you miss a phone call or are frazzled? It's pretty common to see people worked up before/during the early parts of a presentation, after running late to something, after speaking to certain people and the list goes on; are they in imminent danger of a "severe mental disease or defect"?

Pilots are supposed to evaluate themselves before flights and gauge risk. It's part of ADM (Aeronautical Decision Making http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...cumentid/22624) process. I am only familiar with the scoring for private aviation, but surely the pilot should have realized there was some concern.

The former pilot should count his blessings that he's not in prison or paying for the diversion and move on. It's sad his career is over, but I'm sure he can still find work in the industry.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by blue2002
By the way, in the Germanwings case, I am sure the French prosecutor will be looking at airport surveillance to observe the first officer's pre-flight behaviour.
Which prosecutor?

So he doesn't exist yet, the final report will not be in for a long time, and still you are convinced that he'll try to smear some residual blame on those who did not kill 150 people?
Depending on what - if anything - shows up in these tapes, the criminal responsibility and civil liability issues might surface there as well (e.g. against the airline, the airport, individuals).
"Criminal responsibility" certainly not. If Germanwings does sell tickets in the US, then some lawyer akin the one who helps your Jetblue expilot may file claims, indeed.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by weero
Which prosecutor?

So he doesn't exist yet[...]
In France, civil aviation accidents are investigated, automatically, as criminal acts. In the Germanwings case, the States Attorney of Marseille is investigating as is the BEA (Bureau d'Enqutes et d'Analyses pour la scurit de l'aviation civile).
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by rayikes
Should your employer send you to a pysch eval if you miss a phone call or are frazzled? It's pretty common to see people worked up before/during the early parts of a presentation, after running late to something, after speaking to certain people and the list goes on; are they in imminent danger of a "severe mental disease or defect"?
A sales presentation is a good example (and one with which I can easily identify). If I (or someone else) showed up for a client presentation with a shirt not tucked in their pants, a questionable tie and a slurred speach... My guess is someone would pull me to the side and tell me to "sit this one out". This with no human lives hanging in the balance. Now, if I was to pilot a plane full of people instead of a deck of slides, I would expect my colleagues to scrutinize me even closer. Not sure what the legal verdict will be, but from the common sense and ethics perspective I think this one is pretty clear cut.

Pilots are supposed to evaluate themselves before flights and gauge risk. It's part of ADM (Aeronautical Decision Making http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...cumentid/22624) process.
In the wake of the Germanwings disaster we can pretty much kiss this one goodbye. Besides, the JetBlue pilot is claiming he was incapacitated and unable to make the judgement for himself. As long as he did not intentionally incapacitate himself (e.g. by knowingly ingesting controlled substances), he may have a case.

The former pilot should count his blessings that he's not in prison or paying for the diversion and move on.
No civilized society should send someone to jail because they fell ill... if he indeed had a stroke.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by weero
Which prosecutor?

So he doesn't exist yet
Huh? The French prosecutor is Bryce Robin. In Germany Christoph Kumpa is the spokesman for the Dusseldorf prosecutor's office. What are you talking about?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Prem Exec, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I'd urge you to consider the legal and common sense ramifications of this case by expanding outside these specific set of facts. Should anyone with a role in public safety be subject to a mental/pysch eval at the drop of a hat? Driving puts "human lives in the balance" and is more dangerous than flying, so are all drivers included? Do the benefits here really outweigh the costs? What happens in a disaster, are all persons immediately sent home to await mental/pysch evals before they can begin their duties? It sounds crazy but that's what is being advocated.

Put your example in context of the complaint: sales person missed one call and seemed distracted but able to discuss the sales points with others in immediate preparation for the meeting. Happens all the time. People get nervous or have other items on their mind.

ADM and CRM are more important than ever. Crews need to work together and monitor each other to prevent minor incidents from becoming major accidents, including honest self assessments.

Last edited by rayikes; Mar 31, 2015 at 11:04 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.