Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jetblue alienates Frequent Flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetblue alienates Frequent Flyers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by findgrace
solid market research. That statement presupposes that there is market research to support how wrong you and B6 are when it comes to customer service. Of course some could care less, the business world is replete with failure from people who didn't listen. You might be familiar with some.

Well said big4flyer
So, switch to a carrier which gives you 7 free UG's/year (if you want to call what B6 has an UG).

AA: Free UG's for EXP only, space avail. Otherwise you burn precious certs.
UA: Space avail. Certs are the same
DL: Space avail. Certs are the same
WN: Nothing to UG ! No certs.

This stuff only matters if there's somebody competing for your $. Nobody is.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
I'm still considering switching to B6 in the wake of what DL and UA are doing to their FF programs... and B6 probably knows that they're still a better option than legacies with the except of AA for now so they are comfortable making this change
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
B6 is no longer the darling airline it used to be. It now 'tries' to complete with the legacy's but falls way short. Thankfully, I only had the misfortune to fly B6 twice before and will never do it again. Young, inexperienced flight crews, aircraft and IFE that was fine 10 years ago but sorely outdated today...
I agree with you on almost all points. I posted another thread about how B6 Mosaic is a really weak program for FF travelers, but here are my basic points:

1. No free EMS upgrade window for Mosaic member is absurd. EVERY other airline does this for its comparative elites. (The chart listed in the previous post isn't accurate. That lists ways to upgrade to first class--not EMS)

2. With recent changes, JetBlue is now just another me-too airline, offering the exact same benefits as the Big 3 (AA/US, Delta & United) but without anything close to their cities served--to say nothing of international travel.

3. IFE used to be the best part of JetBlue and now it's a horribly outdated system. No HD, most of the screens are still 4:3 and almost all channels are now broadcast in 16:9 (and difficult to watch because it's stretched). This is even if the TV system works, as my past two flights the entire system was down

4. The legroom used to be great, now it's pretty much the same as the other airlines...and about to get worse next year.

5. Eliminating the free bag will really make this airline suck (when implemented). One of the best parts of flying JetBlue was that there was almost always enough overhead space, even if you boarded late. You can now forget about that...and the E190 flights will be A MESS since they can only fit around 30 suitcases total--for a flight of 100 people!

I loved JetBlue, but now I only choose it when they have a nonstop flight that matches my itinerary perfectly. Otherwise, I've moved ~90% of my business to another airline to build up elite status.

I recognize that the free cancellation option is a great opportunity for some people, but that's the only unique--and arguably good benefit--that Mosaic offers. Meanwhile, redemption options, no EMS seats for free, no FC certificates (to Mint), no rebooking on other airlines if a flight issue arises and no international redemption keep JetBlue as more of a niche airline--and it doesn't compare well to other US carriers for their elite members (as bad as those airlines can be).
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:05 am

I honestly understand your concern about the increasing EMS prices. I have noted that some of the popular routes have seen more dramatic raises. However, this may not matter much, as JetBlue will switch to a bundle fare system soon. That will completely change the EMS seat game. I am honestly a bit more concerned about that bundle fares. The new EMS prices may reflect the reality of the bundle fare, and if you want EMS, it might be "cheaper" or "value wise better" if you purchase one of the higher bundle fare, which will certainly give a discount or even complimentary access to EMS.

As a Mosaic, I have mixed feelings about EMS upgrades. It is nice to have an empty middle, if the flight is not full. But at the same time, I have noticed that the EMS section has become a "non-rev" section for airline staffs living in the NE, who need to commute to JFK for work. And in full flights, B6 will upgrade non-status people anyway. But with the new bundles, this upgrade feature may not matter anyway.

Value wise - the no-change fee is very good and I have certain taken advantage of this feature, which is the number one reason for sticking with JetBlue. Of course I live Direct TV and the planes, and of course Mint. But if JetBlue needs to work on something, it is their baggage allowance for Mosaic member. I feel that with the bundles and Mint product, the baggage allowance should be adjusted. Mosaic member should be given one or two additional free baggage on top of the allowance permitted by the bundle class or Mint. Mint will receive two free bags, so Mosaic member will not be benefited if they fly Mint. They should receive one more free piece on top of the allowance. It makes more sense than two pieces of free bags regardless of travel class, or fare purchased.

As of now, I have already re-qualified for 2016 Mosaic. So I am just going to stay put and see what will happen in the latter half of the year, when the new bundles are introduced. I am sure that there will be things that might affect my travel plan. Plus American Airlines may finally follow the revenue trend when they merge US Dividend Miles with AAdvantage!

Carfield
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:52 pm

Quick notes:

- You need to compare against alternatives, not in isolation. Spirit, Southwest, Allegient, Virgin, Delta, AA... whoever you want. Jetblue is measuring on that basis and finding that few of these carrier do first bag free etc.

- Consolidation means reduced competition, they are very consciously looking to generate more $ per pax. If extra space for seating is selling, they are going to crimp points redemptions for this (they'd rather have the cash). But if the extra legroom seat is going to fly empty, you might get slotted in at the gate. That makes a lot of economic sense.

- The executives in charge are weighing your dissatisfaction against the performance of the Jetblue stock (up incredibly, 100+% in 12 months?). I leave it to you to decide how important your unhappiness is (no impact on their pocket book) vs the congrats and cash they are getting from the owners of the business.

- Your best bet is to simply choose the airline you most like to fly. The airline is NOT loyal to YOU, a loyalty program is another marketing program of a business chasing pretty much one thing - profit. So if you can make it work for you (the old WN system could result in huge ROI to the flyer) go for it, otherwise, make your own best decision.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by sfoflyer12
Quick notes:

- Consolidation means reduced competition, they are very consciously looking to generate more $ per pax. If extra space for seating is selling, they are going to crimp points redemptions for this (they'd rather have the cash). But if the extra legroom seat is going to fly empty, you might get slotted in at the gate. That makes a lot of economic sense.

- Your best bet is to simply choose the airline you most like to fly. The airline is NOT loyal to YOU, a loyalty program is another marketing program of a business chasing pretty much one thing - profit. So if you can make it work for you (the old WN system could result in huge ROI to the flyer) go for it, otherwise, make your own best decision.
BINGO! ^

OP mentioned home as Long Beach, which I take to be Long Beach, CA. If you consider using LAX, then you've got a bunch of options to get to where you need to be with non-stop service. In BOS, generally, unless you want to fly to one of the big three's hubs, or use WN, you're flying B6 for n/s service. That's pretty much why we use them. TVs are nice, crews are generally good, but connecting through EWR, IAD, ORD, CLT, ATL, etc. gets tiring and is the strongest reason for selecting B6.

Would I prefer that EMS seats were offered at a cash discounted rates for Mosaics (say the EMS is $30, Mosaics would be offered them at $20) in addition to the points option, of course! But I'm not holding my breath. Consolidation means the airlines no longer feel obliged to offer premium services as freebies to FFs. If you want a F seat on UA, AA, or DL, don't count on the upgrade even if you're a 1K, EXP or DM. Yes, EMS has gotten more expensive to the point where we've booked discounted F on other carriers for the same or a little more than we would have paid with B6 with EMS. The priority for us now more than ever is non-stop service, and then premium cabin when available. If premium cabin is available non-stop, we'll use that carrier; if not, then we book with B6. If we absolutely have to connect, we'll book with AA, UA or DL; whichever has the cheapest premium fare.

I too have already hit Mosaic for 2016 and frankly, I suspect the introduction of Mint makes even more of us. That being the case, I wouldn't be surprised to see B6 introduce a second tier of 'status' that might address what some perceive to be the shortcomings of the current Mosaic perks. Personally, as long as I'm allowed same day flight changes (confirmed) and access to a phone representative within three minutes to make said changes, I'm happy enough with the Mosaic program.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
I am always amazed about the wails of " they dont care " or they should be flexible or reasonable.

This is a business, they are there to satisfy their owners, end of story. That means maximising shareholder value.

They of course offer more benefits not to make you happy, but to get more revenue. They model their decisions with that in mind and if you are honest, thats the way it should be. If the market dictates they throw more benefits you way as they need to attrack more buisness, will you complain ? Or do you think fares, benefits, etc should be cast in stone.

I remember the last days of TWA, I went to top status on one trip, at the same time they increased legroom by 50% in Y, upgrades galore, it was great while it lasted, but where are they now. Its not personal and should not be, its business. If they dont achieve what the want with the changes, it will change again
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
..This is a business, they are there to satisfy their owners, end of story. That means maximising shareholder value...
That is so 1980s!
Today it is all about management conspiring and lobbying in getting more bennies for themselves and families and friends.
I remember the last days of TWA, I went to top status on one trip, at the same time they increased legroom by 50% in Y, upgrades galore, it was great while it lasted, but where are they now.
Part of the best US legacy carrier. I logical and straightforward fate.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by weero
That is so 1980s!
Today it is all about management conspiring and lobbying in getting more bennies for themselves and families and friends.

Part of the best US legacy carrier. I logical and straightforward fate.
OK shareholder value or top management value, it equates to the same impact on the customers
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
OK shareholder value or top management value, it equates to the same impact on the customers
It indeed does to some extent. With the one difference that the former aimed at long term stability.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Shareholder value is only returned because B6 is doing a good job for its customers and controlling costs. The two are connected.

The presumption here that B6's HVC's are all going to go running somewhere else because 7 freebie seats isn't enough is a pad presumption.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:22 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by BearX220
When you look at what's happened to the elite upgrade rate on other airlines, yes it is.

Current changes at B6 and all the others are based on two fundamental truths:

1. We don't have to be objectively great, just one notch better than the worst.
2. Where are you going to run to anyway?

I'm as disappointed at B6 management sucking up to Wall Street as anyone else, but even with the dilutions it's sitll a better product than most, although I find TrueBlue completely worthless and a non-factor in my buying decisions.
True of any FF program I can think of these days. Airlines know that the FF program doesn't win enough sales to cover its cost. The FF program is purely a defensive barrier: Southwest's Herb Kelleher admitted as much when he created their first program.

Given this reality, all airlines want to cut the cost of the program whenever they can get away with it. The fun will start when customers switch to cash back cards and banks stop buying so many points and miles from the airlines. Are the airlines profitable enough to withstand the loss of that revenue? Maybe so.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
High demand means price increases. If you won't pay it, someone else apparently will or B6 wouldn't be doing this. Even moreso if those folks are actually paying for the seats.
If the flight I took last week was any indication, people ARE NOT paying for the EMS seats -- 80% of them were empty, while steerage was full. For a 2 hr flight, I even thought $60 extra each way was too much...in particular when the fare itself was $198 RT.

B6 is becoming more & more like a legacy carrier, and that's not good. I know a few B6 employees who are seeing similar things on their (employee) end and aren't pleased about it either.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KRSW
If the flight I took last week was any indication, people ARE NOT paying for the EMS seats -- 80% of them were empty, while steerage was full. For a 2 hr flight, I even thought $60 extra each way was too much...in particular when the fare itself was $198 RT.
And the two flights I took yesterday had them 100% full on one and 50% full on the other. Not sure how many were paid on the 100% flight but I know all of them were on the first flight, including watching the woman behind me at the gate walk up and buy two without even checking the price first.

They sell enough of them to make more than $200mm on the "Even More" family of products in 2014. That's a lot of paying customers.

Also remember that just because the company does something you personally don't like doesn't mean that everyone dislikes it. Even other frequent flyers.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by weero
It indeed does to some extent. With the one difference that the former aimed at long term stability.
Having worked for a number of companies that focused 100% on SHV, I am not sure I agree, boosting share price while ignoring the need for capital investment was proven to be a short term strategy and eventually lead to
the business ending. I think they are basically equal in short sightedness

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.