Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Passenger Banned From JetBlue Flight for Being a Brat on Twitter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref

I didn't see this on the first page and I didn't see it in Travel news so I am putting it here although I'm confused as to what goes here vs travel news but I guess that is what mods are for

assenger Banned From JetBlue Flight for Being a Brat on Twitter

t all started on Nov. 25, when Matthew Lush called JetBlue and attempted to refund his non-refundable ticket because he found a cheaper fare on another airline. Lush was told that he would have to pay a $150 change fee and that the remaining balance would transfer over to JetBlue credit. Lush didn’t want a change fee or an airline credit, he simply wanted his money back. According to Jet Blue, their rep offered to lower the change fee to $100, but Lush declined their offer. He also reportedly told the JetBlue representative that he would reach out to his Twitter followers, share his story, and urge them to use other airlines. And that’s exactly what he did.

snip

According to JetBlue, that security team decided to meet Lush at his gate on Nov. 29 before boarding, just to make sure that he wasn’t a threat to any crew or passengers. “We would never ban someone for their tweets,” said Morgan Johnston, Manager of JetBlue Corporate Communications. “But they wanted to assess if this situation had the potential to escalate in altitude.” After a chat with Lush, the airline elected to deny boarding and gave him a full refund
Old Dec 1, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: trueblue
This individual is a moron class "A"! Would you want him on your flight? He is looking for the notoriety.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What is happening there? Why he was banned from JetBlue for life? How it did happen? Did he inappropriate behavior?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Wow! What is happening there? Why he was banned from JetBlue for life? How it did happen? Did he inappropriate behavior?
Might be worth reading the linked news article. Just a thought.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Good, first of all, the agent kindly agreed to lower the change fee when they were under no obligation to do so. He bought a non-refundable ticket, he knew he couldn't get a refund, pretty simple if you ask me. Secondly, I can't stand that he and his followers are insinuating they banned him because he is gay. Jetblue has many LGBT crew members and plenty of passengers that are treated just like anyone else and don't put up a fuss. Kind of makes me upset this guy will still be flying with any airline, but oh well.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by airplanegod
Good, first of all, the agent kindly agreed to lower the change fee when they were under no obligation to do so. He bought a non-refundable ticket, he knew he couldn't get a refund, pretty simple if you ask me. Secondly, I can't stand that he and his followers are insinuating they banned him because he is gay. Jetblue has many LGBT crew members and plenty of passengers that are treated just like anyone else and don't put up a fuss. Kind of makes me upset this guy will still be flying with any airline, but oh well.
If he exhibits the same behavior with other airlines, I suspect he won't be flying them for long.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:23 am
Suspended

Stories like these will fizzle out eventually. Using Twitter will not help a bit, as Twitter like Facebook is just another digital dumpster for people spewing junk texts.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:55 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
He got what he wanted, a refund and fame.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Frindle
Might be worth reading the linked news article. Just a thought.
Actually, it might be better to read the twitter TL if it hasn't been deleted. You cannot believe the whiny complaints on nearly all of the airline twitter sites and I won't go into detail for fear of offending people. I've trolled on TLs telling some of these people to get a life (without profanity or insults) and for that I had my twitter account suspended for a few weeks for the trouble. But you have to see what was actually posted, not third and fourth hand news accounts. I
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by george 3
Actually, it might be better to read the twitter TL if it hasn't been deleted. You cannot believe the whiny complaints on nearly all of the airline twitter sites and I won't go into detail for fear of offending people. I've trolled on TLs telling some of these people to get a life (without profanity or insults) and for that I had my twitter account suspended for a few weeks for the trouble. But you have to see what was actually posted, not third and fourth hand news accounts. I
Do you always proofread your posts? Your last sentence begins with "I" and nothing follows.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, F9 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Good for JetBlue -- Security threat or not, I don't want this guy on my airplane.

EDIT: Why didn't he just call B6 when the page went blank on him?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The takeaway is if an airline won't refund your money, all you have to do is incite a social media riot and lo-and-behold, you can get your refund. Brilliant! @:-)
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Big for JetBlue giving this guy a refund after he made a scene. Rules are rules and it is not fair to those of us who follow the rules if someone gets them bent just because they made a big enough scene.

Really though if you all want some entertainment just read any airline's facebook page. There are a handful of legit issues, but the vast majority are things like trying to get a refund on a non refundable ticket, or trying to transfer the ticket to somebody else, people thinking they should not have to pay a change fee, or pay for buy on board, or pay for E+/preferred seats when they have no status and travel once every couple of years and think they should get out of paying any fees, board first, get an upgrade, etc just because they think they are special. People complaining and threatening to take the airline to court because they were denied boarding to a flight to China and "nobody told me I needed a visa to go to China."

My personal favorite and the one I remember most in the last few years of lurking the facebook pages was on Delta a little over a year ago I believe someone who from what I gather from the complaint doesn't travel very often at all was complaining about horrible customer service when she should actually be thanking Delta things weren't way worse.

A mother traveling alone with a small child was late for a Delta flight, forgot the reason they were late exactly but late to the point where the gate agents had already left, the jetbride was detached, and the plane was still sitting at the gate ready to push back. Anyway this person started out complaining that the gate agents were gone and since she could see the plane there she tried waving at the pilots, she was complaining that everyone was ignoring her until the alarm went off when she somehow managed to open the door to the gate and only then did someone notice her. Then Delta rebooked her on the next flight free of charge but was this person thankful for that? Not at all. Was furious that they weren't let on the plane and of course had to throw out the never flying this airline again and will tell everyone I know and call the news card.

This person should have thanked her lucky stars she got off as easy as next flight with no charge. Should have possibly been arrested and/or the entire terminal been evacuated and everyone had to be rescreened because some selfish traveler tried to open the gate door and run down a detached jetbridge.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Horse, I love your neologism, i.e., "assenger."

Hopefully this will spread amongst the FT literati to supplant DYKWIA.

Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by N830MH
He said "good riddance" too many times, and the airline went after him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.