Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue 1416 LGB-AUS: Emergency Landing at LGB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

(Wait, I did a search, and no one posted about this incident yet?)

JetBlue 1416 (A320) was forced to turn back around after an engine blew and filled the cabin up with smoke. Quick landing back at LGB, and everyone evacuated safely. 1 person to the hospital.

Total time in air: 13 minutes.

See, e.g., http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/18/us/jet...gency-landing/

I watched another video earlier, and noticed two things:
- One of the overwing exits on the right side was open, the other was still plugged up.
- A few passengers boarding the buses away from the plane pulling their rollaboard
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Interesting to note, though initially an evac was called for, the Captain tried to cancel the evac when it was noted by ARFF that the engine was not on fire.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
According to a passenger there was so much smoke in the cabin one couldn't see the person next to you. Still, F/A's were deploying oxygen masks.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by gooseman13
Interesting to note, though initially an evac was called for, the Captain tried to cancel the evac when it was noted by ARFF that the engine was not on fire.
Plenty of smoke in the cabin, however. Did the pilot think everyone would just calmly sit there if he came over the PA and said "Good news, everyone"?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Plenty of smoke in the cabin, however. Did the pilot think everyone would just calmly sit there if he came over the PA and said "Good news, everyone"?
"I know this stuff looks like smoke.... totally not."
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I don't know what one would do. I would probably tend to trust what the captain was telling me.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 am

The CNN article is trash (not surprising for CNN). They quote someone as saying smoke was so thick that he couldnt see the person next to him and was wondering when accident masks would be deployed. I saw a video from inside the cabin after masks were deployed with at least 4 rows ahead visible. Guy taking the video was smiling and waving at the camera.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: Paid F
This could have ended terribly for everyone, with what appears to be a failure at (or near) the most critical moment during takeoff... but thankfully the pilot and crew and a well designed aircraft held it together and there were no injuries.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:23 am

Certainly a nerve racking event, but keep in mind a. commercial aircraft are designed to be able to take off with an engine out at takeoff, and b. in this case the outage did not occur during takeoff but sometime early in the ascent.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:33 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1945476

This is serious smoke based on the pictures. I would go ballistic when I hear the Captain cancelled emergency evac. This is totally irresponsible of the Captain. Just because you don't see fire blazing outside the engines doesn't mean there aren't any fires. Wasn't there a Middle Eastern airline a few years back landed without incident and the Captain also didn't order evac thinking the issue is minor, only to have fire consumed the plane in a matter of seconds and almost everyone died. With smoke and fire you always err on the side of caution.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:34 am

Certainly a nerve racking event, but keep in mind a. commercial aircraft are designed to be able to take off with an engine out at takeoff, and b. in this case the outage did not occur during takeoff but sometime early in the ascent.
This isn't an engine failure, this is an engine fire. Engine failure doesn't kill you, fire and smoke will. No plan is design to safely fly with smoke and fires
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Silver
The CNN article is trash (not surprising for CNN). They quote someone as saying smoke was so thick that he couldnt see the person next to him and was wondering when accident masks would be deployed. I saw a video from inside the cabin after masks were deployed with at least 4 rows ahead visible. Guy taking the video was smiling and waving at the camera.
It is typical uninformed media reporting that we see all the time, and helped along by passengers who were (understandably) scared and recalled some details a bit differently than what actually occurred. Also of note are the comments regarding the oxygen masks not initially deploying despite the smoke. As far as I know the masks are only designed to deploy in the event of depressurization. What I don't know is what controls exist (or not) for the masks to be deployed by the flight crew short of going around manually as they apparently did.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by JW76
This could have ended terribly for everyone, with what appears to be a failure at (or near) the most critical moment during takeoff... but thankfully the pilot and crew and a well designed aircraft held it together and there were no injuries.
The Captain was reckless to cancel emergency evac. I know some of you will replied nothing happen, but you always err on caution when it comes to smoke and fires.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:42 am

the thing I find hard to understand is how an engine fire can put smoke inside cabin.....thought the captian just turns off engine...... is another part of story some where?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Where is it reported that the Capt canceled the emergency evac? I'm not seeing it mentioned in the linked story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.