Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Can't change seat, system limitation when booking award ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver

..or do they just want me to go away? Has anyone else had this problem?

Background info:

I booked a flight with points. The price in points dropped (this was pre-8/15) and I called for a price drop credit. They performed the price drop credit and "rebooked" it at the new rate to refund the difference. After they did that, I couldn't change my seat. When I go to my itinerary, this is what I see:

(I edited out my name and confirmation #)

There is no link under the seat assignment to change the seat, and the button to change it in the drop down menu is grayed out. To change my seat, I would have to call JetBlue and sit on hold for ~15 each time. I'm ok with my seat assignment for now, but I'd prefer to move back should the middle seat be taken.

I sent @JetBlue on Twitter a message, and they couldn't figure out why and apologized for the inconvenience. I sent them a message from the JetBlue website asking if they can either fix it or rebook it to fix it, and this is what I received for a response:

(I edited out my name, confirmation #, and the crewmember's name and #)
Hello [diburning],

Thank you for contacting JetBlue Airways regarding your ability to assign or change seats online. We sincerely apologize for your frustration with not being able to assign or change your seats online for confirmation [confirmation #]. What you are experiencing is not an IT issue it's a system limitation. Our system does not have the capacity to exchange flights booked with TrueBlue points online. In addition, you are not able to assign or change seats online once the ticket (or record of payment) has been exchanged. In order to honor the lower fare we have to exchange the original ticket (record of payment) for the new lower price. We encourage you to call the TrueBlue help desk at
1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583) and we will be happy to help you with your seat selection.

[diburning], we thank you for choosing JetBlue and look forward to welcoming you onboard in October!

Kind Regards,

[agent]
TrueBlue Customer Service Crew
JetBlue Airways
Crewmember [agent #]
I've never had this problem before. Did JetBlue just hire United's IT department?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:27 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Changing seats

Originally Posted by diburning
..or do they just want me to go away? Has anyone else had this problem?

Background info:

I booked a flight with points. The price in points dropped (this was pre-8/15) and I called for a price drop credit. They performed the price drop credit and "rebooked" it at the new rate to refund the difference. After they did that, I couldn't change my seat. When I go to my itinerary, this is what I see:

(I edited out my name and confirmation #)

There is no link under the seat assignment to change the seat, and the button to change it in the drop down menu is grayed out. To change my seat, I would have to call JetBlue and sit on hold for ~15 each time. I'm ok with my seat assignment for now, but I'd prefer to move back should the middle seat be taken.

I sent @JetBlue on Twitter a message, and they couldn't figure out why and apologized for the inconvenience. I sent them a message from the JetBlue website asking if they can either fix it or rebook it to fix it, and this is what I received for a response:

(I edited out my name, confirmation #, and the crewmember's name and #)

I've never had this problem before. Did JetBlue just hire United's IT department?
I have never been able to change seats on an award ticket. I just call up and they can do it without a problem.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
B6 has never allowed changes to award bookings without calling. This is the opposite of UA's IT problem which allows anybody to cancel or change with just the record locator.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards
I've never had to do it either and got the same response you did.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Hmm, interesting. I guess I'll save my future points for a Mint flight or a bunch of short hauls where the seating matters less (to me).
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hmm, interesting. I guess I'll save my future points for a Mint flight or a bunch of short hauls where the seating matters less (to me).

Or just book the seat you want and go from there. I cannot remember the last time I changed a seat after booking unless an upgrade cleared.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

I know that I'm not entitled to an empty middle seat, or a seat that isn't mine, but it's just a personal preference that I pick a seat with no one in the middle where I can spread out a bit.

If the entire flight is full, then I'll live with it, but I've had much success moving my seat until I get a row where there's no one in the middle seat. On the E190s, I've never been on a flight with a seatmate.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
seat

I know that I'm not entitled to an empty middle seat, or a seat that isn't mine, but it's just a personal preference that I pick a seat with no one in the middle where I can spread out a bit.

If the entire flight is full, then I'll live with it, but I've had much success moving my seat until I get a row where there's no one in the middle seat. On the E190s, I've never been on a flight with a seatmate.
Just call up B6 and they will change the seat without a problem.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I haven't been on a flight with an empty seat available in a long time. I'm impressed that you've managed to find them. ^
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

I've been lucky then, I guess!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.