Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving Luggage at DCA?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Leaving Luggage at DCA?

I will be flying in to DCA next week from BOS, and I noticed that there is a liquor store near the airport with a particular brand of beer that I enjoy, but cannot get in my home state (or the surrounding states). (If anyone is curious, it's the Oberon Ale from Bells Brewery, Kalamazoo, MI)

Originally, I was not planning to bring a rolling bag, just a carry-on for my day trip, but I just can't pass up the opportunity to bring some home. I don't want to be dragging the bag around all day. Since I get a free checked bag, I thought of a plan. Please let me know if any of this is not allowed or if there are any logistical problems with this plan. I am aware of the regulations on alcohol. I will be packing the beer appropriately so that it will arrive safely (I've done it before)

This will be a day trip. I arrive at DCA around 11:30AM, and return on a flight leaving at 8:30PM.

1. Check a (mostly) empty bag from BOS-DCA.
2. Fail to pick it up so that it goes to the baggage office.
3. Return to the airport around 6PM to pick up the bag (6.5 hours later)
4. Go purchase the beer, pack it up well in the bag
5. Return to the airport and check it for the return trip.

Since the bag will be mostly empty with the exception of packing materials to safely transport the beer, I'm not worried about anything being stolen, or the bag being damaged.

If this won't work, then are there any other options for bag storage for a few hours? I see that JetBlue's policy says that checked baggage is not accepted until 4 hours before departure. (but I'd rather wait until around 6PM so that I may enjoy my day and not turn this into an expensive beer run)
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: TrueBlue
If you are current or ex-military, or even a civilian employee of the DoD, you can use the USO station at DCA. I made use of it when I had a scheduling conflict that prevented me from getting to my hotel after my flight for a few hours.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:26 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Not sure if it will work or not, but why not buy the beer before you return to the airport so you don't have to make another trip out once you claim your bag? Just bring the beer in with you, claim the bag, pack it, check it, voila!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Not sure if it will work or not, but why not buy the beer before you return to the airport so you don't have to make another trip out once you claim your bag? Just bring the beer in with you, claim the bag, pack it, check it, voila!
The OP is trying to not need to claim the bag at all so they don't have to schlep it with them during the day.

Depending on how you plan to pad/pack it in the checked bag I'd consider buying a box at a UPS store or similar just before heading back to the airport rather than "forgetting" the bag upon arrival. Not that the plan won't work - it probably will - but it is still just a probably.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by djplong
If you are current or ex-military, or even a civilian employee of the DoD, you can use the USO station at DCA. I made use of it when I had a scheduling conflict that prevented me from getting to my hotel after my flight for a few hours.
Although I have a bunch of family members in the military, I unfortunately, am not, so that won't work

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
I can do that too. I figured I'd claim the bag first just in the unlikely event that they lose it. If I buy the beer first, and they lost the bag, I'd be standing there with cases of beer wondering what to do!

So, the general consensus is that this will work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.