Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

tonight's June 4 jetblue 1186 raleigh to JFK - what the heck?!?

Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Ridiculous. All set to taxi on time 7:40 PM for this one hour flight (that turns into 4+ hours for no good reason). Just off the gate when pilot announces a ground hold at JFK, says he is being told this is due to traffic saturation at JFK. Meantime chatting with husband waiting at JFK. There are essentially no delays at JFK. The Flightstats delay index is 0 and "decreasing" all evening. No public reports of any untoward action of any kind at JFK.

We don't get off the ground till 9:30, 2 hours late. Smooth flight to JFK and approach announced. Then pilot announces "holding pattern" - we circle at 12000 feet for 20-30 minutes. Then we circle at 2000-3000 feet another 20 minutes or so. Who circles at 2000 feet? We all seriously thought there was a serious problem.

There minimal plane traffic to speak of on the ground and no delays at the airport. People are starting to freak out as the circling is never ending and too low to the ground. Stewardess handles a passenger panic attack. Pilot doesn't tell us anything else.

Oh wait - the only delays are a bunch of unexplained JetBlue ones. Not ones effected by weather anywhere. What is this about?!?!?! Does air traffic control have a beef with JetBlue? This was very weird. I fly alot and have never experienced such a strange unexplained bunch of circumstances.

I do not blame JetBlue. I blame air traffic controllers. I would really like to know what is going on. Any clues? Is this something to do with upcoming union changes at JetBlue? Why would air traffic controllers have an opinion on that?

I do see apparently maintenance work on a taxiway at JFK from 7PM according to Port Authority. If this is to root cause, why won't anyone tell us?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Did you mean to post this in the Jet Blue forum?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:15 am

I'm equally mystified; I flew JFK to PWM on 108 last night, which left nearly 2 hours late. Equipment and flight crew came in separately (and both late) due to the ground hold (and, in the case of the flight crew, MX in MSY).
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well, RDU-JFK is never only an hour in the air, so there's that.

Otherwise, it looks like 12/60 flights operated by JetBlue arriving between 6pm-midnight last night were delayed. Life happens some times.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ype=1&x=19&y=6
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:38 pm

JFK was ground-stopped for over two hours. The reason was volume, not weather. Taxi times departing were about an hour during the ground stop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.