Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

2014 Mosaic Challenge + status match

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Mosaic Challenge + status match

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by kefkafloyd
Unfortunately it looks like I might just barely miss this. My challenge match is probably going to fail because I think the last qualifying flight I'll have on my schedule in the next three months will be a week after my window closes.

I was expecting the two week turnaround, but nope, it was activated on April Fool's day.
Looks like the joke is on you... on the bright side, welcome to FT
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Amex Plat, Mosaic, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
So, I applied for the Challenge and Status Match on March 21. I used a screenshot of my AAdvantage card. No word (other than the automated response).

I re-applied on March 28 using a screenshot of my AAdvantage statement. I got confirmation 6 hours later for the Challenge.

Today, April 10, I got the Status Match. I tried using it immediately to book a transcon flight, but couldn't figure out how to pay for the Even More Space. I called the dedicated Mosaic number and got a rep who told me that I needed to book the flight, then call back, to get the seat assignment. This is also the point where they will deduct the points from my account to cover the upgrade? I'll know if this is true when I try booking again in the morning...
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, Amex Plat, Mosaic, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Update:
This morning, I got the option to use points or money for Even More Space.
SMF= 5,800 or $75 (per leg)
SFO= 6,800 or $85
I would rather pay money than use points. I see no value in the Status Match. Or maybe someone can convince me otherwise?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
EMS

Originally Posted by LionTamer
Update:
This morning, I got the option to use points or money for Even More Space.
SMF= 5,800 or $75 (per leg)
SFO= 6,800 or $85
I would rather pay money than use points. I see no value in the Status Match. Or maybe someone can convince me otherwise?
You are better of using the points for flights as you can get a better deal
1.4-1.5 $ per point instead of 1.25 in that case. Thanks for telling us.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:30 pm

does anyone know if the status match disqualifies you from future status matches on B6?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bmg42000
1.4-1.5 $ per point instead of 1.25 in that case.
It isn't always 1.4-1.5 though. There is a range. Obviously booking at the higher end of the range is better, but that might not always be viable for everyone.
Originally Posted by LionTamer
Did you see paying for E+ with points as the key benefit of the Mosaic status? If so I probably would've predicted that you would be disappointed. I think the bonus points when flying and the waived change fees are the best benefits the program offers.

My challenge was approved within 6 hours; match hasn't happened yet, but I've got time. Probably won't make the challenge work, but I'll have fun with the status for the 7ish months, I suppose.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
.Did you see paying for E+ with points as the key benefit of the Mosaic status? If so I probably would've predicted that you would be disappointed. I think the bonus points when flying and the waived change fees are the best benefits the program offers.

My challenge was approved within 6 hours; match hasn't happened yet, but I've got time. Probably won't make the challenge work, but I'll have fun with the status for the 7ish months, I suppose.
To me that's not even a benefit so much... you're still paying for those seats and the regular seats on B6 are more or less the same pitch as E+/MCE/EC on the legacies... Even More Space seats are a far cry from F seats, so think of it as if you fly B6, you get the legroom of extra legroom seats on other airlines in every seat
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Mosiac

Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
To me that's not even a benefit so much... you're still paying for those seats and the regular seats on B6 are more or less the same pitch as E+/MCE/EC on the legacies... Even More Space seats are a far cry from F seats, so think of it as if you fly B6, you get the legroom of extra legroom seats on other airlines in every seat
And with Mosaic you get the early boarding and priority security access (2 things that came with the EMS seats).
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:16 pm

I agree. But I don't fly B6 for first class or even to pay for EMS. There are other factors which are much more important to me when flying.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:59 pm

Looks like the joke is on you... on the bright side, welcome to FT
Thanks, been lurking the site for years and finally regged back in February.

I may be able to call them around the end of June when I'm due to finish up that round of travel but I don't see them being flexible on it. Perhaps I'm just keeping my expectations low, but I'll have spent $1700 worth of base fare this year by then. B6 has always had good service towards me, so I figure it's at least worth a shot.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 5:24 pm
zld

Programs: AA EP, DL GM
Much more like the WN policy. If there is a fare difference you pay it.
Is the lack of cancel fee with Mosaic similar to WN too? Aka you can reuse the money from the ticket for up to 1 year, but it doesn't actually go back onto your credit card?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
When I got the status match, the Even More Space benefit I think is a bit misleading. In the welcome email to Mosaic, I was under the impression that I now had access to EMS seats at no extra cost or points. It said "enjoy our new benefits below" and has a mosaic diagram with Even More Space. But unlike US Airways where you get access to preferred seats and exit row seats without extra charges with status, JB doesn't give you that. So to me, the 3 benefits I think really matter are waived fees for changing and cancelling flights, priority security and boarding.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by zld
Is the lack of cancel fee with Mosaic similar to WN too? Aka you can reuse the money from the ticket for up to 1 year, but it doesn't actually go back onto your credit card?
Yup.

Originally Posted by pdpgps
When I got the status match, the Even More Space benefit I think is a bit misleading. In the welcome email to Mosaic, I was under the impression that I now had access to EMS seats at no extra cost or points. It said "enjoy our new benefits below" and has a mosaic diagram with Even More Space.
The EMS logo on the Mosaic homepage clearly states, "Stretch out and relax by redeeming your points for an Even More Space seat." It is never implied that it is free.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: United Plat, AS MVP 75k, B6 Mosaic, Mariott Lifetime Platinum, SPG P100
Yup.

The EMS logo on the Mosaic homepage clearly states, "Stretch out and relax by redeeming your points for an Even More Space seat." It is never implied that it is free.
I made the same mistake/assumption as pdpgps...I have an upcoming trip, and I tried to move to an EMS seat, but kept getting the $50 upcharge and I wasn't sure why.

Maybe it's not *misleading*, but when almost every other FF program out there offers free access to the roomier seats, it's easy to glance at the logo for EMS in the list of benefits and assume JB is offering something similar.

The regular seats are still roomy, blah blah blah, I get it, but as a frequent flyer whose company reimburses him, I don't care so much about the change fees, and Even More Speed is a dubious benefit compared to PreCheck. Getting on the plane earlier is nice, as are the double points, but that's where it begins and ends for me.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ddelsobral
I made the same mistake/assumption as pdpgps...I have an upcoming trip, and I tried to move to an EMS seat, but kept getting the $50 upcharge and I wasn't sure why.

Maybe it's not *misleading*, but when almost every other FF program out there offers free access to the roomier seats, it's easy to glance at the logo for EMS in the list of benefits and assume JB is offering something similar.

The regular seats are still roomy, blah blah blah, I get it, but as a frequent flyer whose company reimburses him, I don't care so much about the change fees, and Even More Speed is a dubious benefit compared to PreCheck. Getting on the plane earlier is nice, as are the double points, but that's where it begins and ends for me.
Thanks ddelsobral. I was too of that mindset as a business traveler and agree, my change fees get picked up by the firm and I value my time and guarantee overhead space which is why the priority boarding and priority security are the big value adds for me. I primarily fly USAir so I didn't know other airlines offer free access to roomier seats when you hit status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.