Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Rumors of new destinations: POS/SAV/DAB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumors of new destinations: POS/SAV/DAB

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by hotturnip
God, why don't they come back to Atlanta? Now that AirTran has morphed into Southwest, I think there's a real market for JetBlue. A lot of people who liked AirTran do NOT like SW.
It'd be interesting (although unlikely) but interesting nonetheless if JetBlue offered ATL-BOS but timed the flight for Atlanta based pax. That means an early flight out of ATL that reaches BOS an hour or more before lunch time. This could happen with an aircraft that RON in ATL.

JetBlue does do the opposite (from usual) on ORD-BOS. It times the flight for ORD based pax not BOS based pax. Maybe because it figures that Southwest saturates BOS/MHT/PVD-MDW so JetBlue is going for a different approach. On all other markets, JetBlue times the flight for BOS based pax.

Southwest operates BOS-ATL but times the flight for BOS based pax and connections through ATL much like AirTran did. I chose a random date, Tuesday April 15, somewhat far enough way:

Delta sells the 7:35am flight out of ATL, reaching BOS at 10:06am for $234 one-way. The 11:28am flight out of ATL is sold for $139 one-way.

Southwest has an 8:40am flight that reaches BOS at 11:40am and it's sold for $139 one-way. So, Delta is charging a $100 premium for that earlier flight, likely best suited for Atlanta based pax that might be traveling up to Boston for business.

For JetBlue, competing for ATL business pax might be a better idea than joining the early BOS departure to ATL market competition where it will have to compete with Delta and Southwest that can fill seats also on connections down in ATL. Atleast with ATL-BOS (early departure), it'll just compete against Delta for business pax.

The low fares means Delta's devalued FF program yields fewer miles and be less appealing. DirecTV will offer better legroom and free TV. Maybe JetBlue could offer ATL-FLL as well for leisure as well to provide value to ATL based customers. These efforts might get JetBlue a foot in the door in ATL essentially, and then it can offer BOS-ATL (with early departure for BOS pax) as it matures over there, while Southwest might see it's marketshare drop on that route, view the opportunity cost and choose to fly another route over BOS-ATL.

Last edited by rtalk25; Mar 27, 2014 at 10:10 am
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Good points, all. I'm thinking primarily of brand differentiation, however. Airtran's product was really unlike Southwest's. People loved the ability to upgrade to Biz at checkin for a fee. And they lacked a lot of the baggage (metaphorically speaking) that comes with flying DL. JetBlue seems to fit that niche well--a more premium product, delivered in a simplified way.

Please, JetBlue--save Atlanta from Southwest!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:50 am
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
I suppose this is the rumor thread for potential "future cities."

B6 going to ALB has been a long time rumor and long time desire of the traveling public in the little area of the world that I call home. I was pretty excited to learn that they are officially starting service to FLL and a yet to be determined airport next year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.